pappagoat

Getting aircraft name from BIS_fnc_ambientFlyBy?

Hello,

I'm using BIS_fnc_ambientFlyBy to spawn aircraft that fly a set route.
I am trying to find out how to get the unit name of the aircraft so that I can then do things to the spawned unit, such as limit its speed, set velocity and teleport AI into the aircraft.

Does anyone have any ideas?

but that's not what Bis_fnc_flyby is for, you should use BIS_fnc_spawnVehicle instead

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 4:09 AM, Mr H. said:

but that's not what Bis_fnc_flyby is for, you should use BIS_fnc_spawnVehicle instead

No, I know what it is and I wanted to use flyby. It''s for a repetitive AI paradrop.

But why ? BIS_fnc_spawnVehicle returns the vehicle, can spawn it in the air and flying and gives you more control!

On 10/23/2019 at 8:47 AM, beno_83au said:

Use nearestObject with "Air" for the type to get the aircraft

will work but it's way messier and  more complicated to set up, plus it might detct the wrong aircraft if one is passing you by closer

where do you use this function? In a trigger?, in a script?

At least you know the class and the position of what you spawn. So, as @beno_83au   wrote, a nearestObject [position, type] should work. you can even add a captive condition as this vehicle is captive.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr H. said:

will work but it's way messier and  more complicated to set up, plus it might detct the wrong aircraft if one is passing you by closer

No way, it's only 1 line, easy as. Plus, if you run this using the spawn position immediately after creating the aircraft it'll be fine.