Big Boz

Arma3 game browser launch broken & in game is broken

When I launch Arma 3 from the game's launcher, the game task launches momentarily but then vanishes, making my desktop icons look different. When I launch the game without the launcher directly as administrator through the files in my steam, it actually launches, but looks incredibly low quality (lots of pixels are visible and small text is unreadable) as well as using menus with my mouse is non-existent. I can traverse menus very strangely by using the arrow keys, but my mouse does not work on any game menus. I managed to quickstart the tutorial mission, but when I had to drag the scope onto my rifle, I simply couldn't, in the same way that I couldn't choose any options from the starting menu with my mouse. I have no clue as to why the game is f###ed up this bad, but if you have any ideas or solutions I will be more than happy to read them. Thanks for reading!

Processor - AMD A8-9600 RADEON R7, 10 COMPUTE CORES 4C+6G, 3.10 GHz

RAM - 20.0 GB (19.5 GB usable)

System type - 64-bit OS, x64-based processor

Display adaptors - AMD Radeon R7 graphics, Radeon RX 580 series

Monitor - ASUS VP247HA

I have seen this before.  Your in game resolution has to match your monitors resolution.  And your Launcher properties  like cpu count and max memory  etc (all), need to be selected properly. If your parameters and properties are out to lunch then the launcher wont launch.  (like  its overloaded.)

Watch if you are choosing the memory allocator that is not installed.. most use the TBBB4, others say the system allocator is best.  If that's not chosen correctly it will mess up your experience.

17 hours ago, dvdbrewster said:

like cpu count and max memory  etc (all), need to be selected properly

cpu count and memory limits should not be set unless you want to intentionally harm your game, the game already auto detects the proper settings.

17 hours ago, dvdbrewster said:

Watch if you are choosing the memory allocator that is not installed.. most use the TBBB4, others say the system allocator is best.  If that's not chosen correctly it will mess up your experience.

I would recommend not choosing any memory allocator and letting Arma use the default. Also afaik the Arma Launcher will only let you choose allocators that are installed.

On 10/18/2019 at 10:55 PM, Big Boz said:

the game task launches momentarily but then vanishes

Try disabling battleye in the launcher your antivirus might be blocking it.

Or maybe your game is just crashing on launch in which case the RPT file (google Arma rpt) might help troubleshoot that.

On 10/20/2019 at 4:10 PM, dvdbrewster said:

I have seen this before.  Your in game resolution has to match your monitors resolution.  And your Launcher properties  like cpu count and max memory  etc (all), need to be selected properly. If your parameters and properties are out to lunch then the launcher wont launch.  (like  its overloaded.)

Tried changing the resolution, only option was 800x600. Also I found out if the launcher is closed when the game closes, I can access the game. Still can't use my mouse to manoeuvre menus and the detail in the game is still ass (tessellated to hell).

Try deleting/moving to desktop the "My Documents/Arma 3" directory.

4 hours ago, Dedmen said:

Try deleting/moving to desktop the "My Documents/Arma 3" directory.

Did that, but now the issue where the game messes up my desktop is back. Can't tell if it helped the other issues since I couldn't access the game.

On 10/18/2019 at 10:55 PM, Big Boz said:

Display adaptors - AMD Radeon R7 graphics, Radeon RX 580 series

Monitor - ASUS VP247HA

In BIOS disable iGPU/ Dual Graphics and connect monitor to RX 580.

On 10/21/2019 at 1:54 AM, Dedmen said:

cpu count and memory limits should not be set unless you want to intentionally harm your game, the game already auto detects the proper settings.

I would recommend not choosing any memory allocator and letting Arma use the default. Also afaik the Arma Launcher will only let you choose allocators that are installed.

Try disabling battleye in the launcher your antivirus might be blocking it.

Or maybe your game is just crashing on launch in which case the RPT file (google Arma rpt) might help troubleshoot that.

So, try all that right.?   BTW   they give u a tbb4  with the game now.

On 10/22/2019 at 6:04 PM, Horus said:

In BIOS disable iGPU/ Dual Graphics and connect monitor to RX 580.

Would that not have an effect on everything else on my PC?

You said you'd given up but expect us to keep giving ideas?