Sign in to follow this  
suchey

Modern usmc marpat

In real life, you can open both eyes and get a good view of the battlefield without losing your aim.  Switching between iron sights and regular view in OFP is a bit more difficult.  We play without crosshairs, so you never know where your muzzle is aimed, and so a tiny aperture can make target finding in OFP very difficult, especially if you swtich views a lot.

The little aperture in real life gives you more accuracy because there is less margin for error.  In OFP it just makes it extremely difficult to see what you are aiming at.  

So I made the biggest aperture possible, so that it doesn't suck to use.  And it's NOT just a night sight, it's also used for closer range engagement since it is a little faster than the small aperture.  It's the same idea as an HK rear sight, or AN94.  Different apertures for different ranges, not different times of day.

EDIT:  I just checked out the pictures you posted on geocities (copy and paste link).  It says RIGHT ON THE PIC "0-200m" for the larger aperture.

you are right it is just refered to as a night sight in the manual.

Now i understand why you see so much of the gun throu the view you are trying to make the it look like when you use both eyes open when you fight.

But I don't think i totaly agree in that way of during it because when you use v I think Ofp is intending to view the gun when you have one eye closed and useing your right eye to aim precis and in the first person view it is intended when you rund around just "half" aiming thats why the cross air is there you can do that you know.

And remeber to put the Forward Bolt assist back to the ege of the upper reciver.

STGN

I agree that using the night sight for OFP is fine. These days I believe laser targeting systems are used at night by the Marines (and US Army infantry) but I don't know if all Marines get those units. Someone here probably knows the name of those aiming devices.

The old fashioned method of night firing is just to use tracers. When using tracers I usually wouldn't even use my sights unless I had enough ambient light to see anything through even the night sight. Instead would walk my tracers onto the target while looking over the receiver using rapid semi-automatic shots. Then once the tracers were hitting the target or the area around the target, I would just hammer away at it.

For daytime shooting however I only used the day sight.

At any rate, like Earl said, if you try using the regular rear sight you can't see a damn thing in OFP. So you pretty much end up having to use a larger rear sight otherwise it just becomes frustrating using the weapon in OFP.

Chris G.

AN/PEQ-2... I think it may be a bit late to start making a lot of suggestions now, but it seems like a good idea..

Although there isn't much point to it - because we do not yet have a working NightSight for Flashpoint. If we could avoid carrying NVG's and just use the NightSight (For simplicity, I'll call it a NSt) to scan before we move, then it'd be useful, but if you have to carry NVDs just to have the NSt appear as it was meant to, then there is little point in having it.

AK

AN/PEQ-2... I think it may be a bit late to start making a lot of suggestions now, but it seems like a good idea..

Although there isn't much point to it - because we do not yet have a working NightSight for Flashpoint. If we could avoid carrying NVG's and just use the NightSight (For simplicity, I'll call it a NSt) to scan before we move, then it'd be useful, but if you have to carry NVDs just to have the NSt appear as it was meant to, then there is little point in having it.

AK

maby I remember rong but diden't INQ make a weapon whit night sight??

STGN

nope i think this is still impossible, tho there has been alot of addons released with NVG compatible sights - theres one in the russian VDV pack with White crosshairs in the svd scope, rater than black - its has no real effect over the default black crosshairs but it looks cool

nope i think this is still impossible, tho there has been alot of addons released with NVG compatible sights - theres one in the russian VDV pack with White crosshairs in the svd scope, rater than black - its has no real effect over the default black crosshairs but it looks cool

I think there are guns with optics wich light up more or less during the night. A perfect example is the Diemaco pack wich includes working ELCAN optics, I also think that there is a similar deal in the weapons shipped with the VDV packs. The part of the ELCAN optic that lights up quite helps aiming in the dark when you have no NVG's. But only in fairly lit conditions.

Yeah, but what I was going on about is a sighting system that gives you NVD-comparable vision capabilities, not an illuminated reticule, which is slightly less useful, but better than plain-jane iron sights.

AK

Couldn't the basic principle be applied to an entire optic? But I suppose that it wouldn't function as the NVG does (I.E allowing you to see at night) It would just look nifty I guess, but perhaps it can work with scripts? Optics activated = NVG's get equipped and put into inventory, optics deactivated = NVG's removed from inventory and not on.

Would probably be too much work for next to nothing though.

Been working on the jungle camo face a little lately:

Front

Back

added some darker areas, under the chin, around the neck, around and under the nose, on the back of the head where it curves back, and some others here and there.

Nice, emphasis on nice. I like it, a lot. That MARPAT balaclava looks pretty damn good. Are you going to make variations to include african-americans, as so far, the balaclava has only had caucasians wearing it.

AK

Nice, emphasis on nice. I like it, a lot. That MARPAT balaclava looks pretty damn good. Are you going to make variations to include african-americans, as so far, the balaclava has only had caucasians wearing it.

AK

I'll try to do that. Right now I'm more concerned on the balaclava itself more so than the persons skin color.

I don't remember this being asked before. Have you tested the compatibility with FDFmod?

Are normal OFP/FDFmod soldiers any match against Marpat / Morpeh soldiers?

Anyway the all the soldiers look awesome. I am looking forward to this addon almost as much as FDFmod v1.1 biggrin_o.gif

Good question...I can only compare them to normal OFP troops as I have more experience with those...the Marines and Morpeh can certainly be placed against regular troops...Jocko has used regular troops in a variety of his co-op missions and they often times hand us players our ass on a silver platter. The new soldiers will indeed have body armor, but its been watered down a bit. This is to say that if you ding a guy in the skull hes deffinately goin down...hit his leg and you'll cripple him...but his chest can take approximately 2 rounds. This is where the bleeding and blunt force scripting comes into play. (this, like ALL special scripted features in the package can be turned off or on at the mission editors discretion). If a Marine takes a round without death, he will hit the deck from the blunt force of the round. There is then a high probability that bleeding will occur. The ammount of blood you lose is based on the initial impact damage done by the round in conjunction with some random variables to determine how fast you will bleed. (there are audio and visual hooks that you will see when you are bleeding). The soldier will also start to leave blood splatters in a trail behind him as he moves (these will be cleared from the map when the soldier is either healed or dies...this was done in the interest of performance--its also handy knowing that any blood trail you see leads to someone). Now...heres the interesting part. If you packed bandages in your gear you can try to stop the bleeding yourself. Bandages can be dropped, picked up, and shared just like a rifle magazine. Bandages will not always work. The chance they they will work is based on an equation including the severity of the wound, how badly damaged you are at the moment, etc. Bandages will not restore health, but they can keep you from bleeding to death. Only a medic or a med facility can restore health. (medics are important...in our pack they can also carry a regular equipment load and arent saddled with the big white target on their arm, so we hope that in multiplayer, more people will see the medic as a fun role to play rather than what you get stuck with if you get onto the server too late). There is also an option (put in place primarily for adversarial multiplay) where the screen will go black and sound cuts out when you die...as Tactician says "dead men dont recon". Scripted functions are 100% compatable with multiplayer...AI units will not be effected by blunt force or bleeding...only players. I cant stress enough that these functions can be turned on or off by mission editors. Full details on how to accomplish this with a single line of code in a mission will be available upon the packages release. Thanks again for your interest in our addon. Im looking forward to getting it into public release!

Absolutly amazing. Although, balance-wise, its possible to put these guys down, they're not supermen, which I like. biggrin_o.gif Maybe the RK-62 will prove effective as well.

AK

Quote[/b] ]RK-62? What exactly is that?

Another AK-47 ripoff tounge_o.gif . It's used by the Finnish military.

BTW - Download the FDF Mod! Then you can play around with an RK-62 biggrin_o.gif .

RK-62? What exactly is that?

rk62.jpg

Standard issue finnish defence forces assault rifle (7.62x39mm), improved AK-47 derivative, interestingly enough galil is based on it. wow_o.gif

EDIT: m21man got to first, damn caches. tounge_o.gif

The RK-62 is the standard-issue 7.62x39mm Assault Rifle, issued to Finnish Defense Forces... it's got a kick on it, in-game, and its pretty effective at putting people down. Excepting the BAS Rangers. They are bullet sponges.

Its not really an AK-47 ripoff as the Finns thought that there is no need to re-invent the wheel, so they just modified it into an RK-62 and presto, good infantry rifle.

But, getting back ontopic:

No new screens, whatnot?

AK

The RK-62 is the standard-issue 7.62x39mm Assault Rifle, issued to Finnish Defense Forces... it's got a kick on it, in-game, and its pretty effective at putting people down. Excepting the BAS Rangers. They are bullet sponges.

The Interceptor vests (which the Rangers are wearing in the addon) are stopping AK rounds in Iraq, there have been several instances of 7.62x39 rounds being stopped by the Interceptor vests, so the armour modelling on the Rangers is not unrealistic.

correct, the new armor (interceptor) was designed to stop light arms fire without being very heavy (the PASGT could also be equiped with hard plates, but this is only a good thing for non-combat troops, since the PASGT with plates is so heavy it's almost useless). The interceptor vest has saved many lives in the iraqi war. Actually I think the interceptor vest is the first vest that can stop a rifle bullet that is actually used the field. (I mean with the insert plates).

However; the plates only cover the front and rear. The sides are still unprotected (like the big fucking holes where your arms are). Some CQB armor has kevlar covering the upper arm, but it won't be possible to protect the sides from a rifle bullet. In the field most bullets hit in the front and back. Shrapnel hits you everywhere, but the soft part of the intercopter vest (like most other vests) can stop this. The shoulder part is also left unprotected from a rifle bullet. Although i think there's an addon plate the covers the shoulder. Like there is an addon plate for the groin area (probably the smartest thing the invented for the grunts, although I have yet to see it being used by soldiers other then special forces)

Nice write up Such, very informative smile_o.gif

Remember tho, the return/enter key is your friend!!! Please don't neglect him! tounge_o.gif

Frostbite, Eviscerator, thanks for the info. Didn't know that the Interceptor vests were actually working... I just find I absorb a lot of bullets - once a direct hit from 20 meters away, 7.62x51mm (PKM) to the face - and shrapnel, whatnot. Sorta reduces gameplay a little I find. Shutting up.

AK

correct, the new armor (interceptor) was designed to stop light arms fire without being very heavy (the PASGT could also be equiped with hard plates, but this is only a good thing for non-combat troops, since the PASGT with plates is so heavy it's almost useless). The interceptor vest has saved many lives in the iraqi war. Actually I think the interceptor vest is the first vest that can stop a rifle bullet that is actually used the field. (I mean with the insert plates).

However; the plates only cover the front and rear. The sides are still unprotected (like the big fucking holes where your arms are). Some CQB armor has kevlar covering the upper arm, but it won't be possible to protect the sides from a rifle bullet. In the field most bullets hit in the front and back. Shrapnel hits you everywhere, but the soft part of the intercopter vest (like most other vests) can stop this. The shoulder part is also left unprotected from a rifle bullet. Although i think there's an addon plate the covers the shoulder. Like there is an addon plate for the groin area (probably the smartest thing the invented for the grunts, although I have yet to see it being used by soldiers other then special forces)

as i am prepareing to go to iraq i do feel very safe wearing the interseptor body armor

But with the plates in it becomes very heavy and hot also it makes it hard to bend over or move normaly left or right