avibird 1

Help needed to get a greyhawk drone to take off from runway or carrier!

I never really used the greyhawk drone in a mission before. The issue I am having is getting the greyhawk to take off from the ground. It always crashes.  The reason it needs to start from the ground is I am using the vehicle spawn Modules to allow the UAV unit to have three greyhawks to use during the mission.

Is there a trick to get it in the air safely from the ground.

I've often found I have to manually take off. Make sure your flaps are down fully and use as much runway as you can.
The other option of course is to use the Sentinel from the carrier as that can use the catapult system I believe. 

• Thanks 1

Is there a trick to get it in the air safely from the ground.

@avibird 1

Drones take off properly from a runway. They do not taxi very well, or at all.
To launch from a carrier try,

[droneNAME] call BIS_fnc_AircraftCatapultLaunch;

@JD Wang,

Make sure your flaps are down fully and use as much runway as you can

Flaps create drag. Keep flaps up until the last second for short take-offs. Also, make sure engine RPM is high before you begin to accelerate down the runway.

Have fun!

• Like 1

So you really have to take control of both greyhawk and sentinel when attempting to take off from the runaway.  This is a bug that should be a easy fix if Bohemia is really aware of. How dumb that nobody from bohemian did not notice the issues with these two units.

@avibird 1,

you really have to take control of both greyhawk and sentinel when attempting to take off from the runaway

What runway are you using, Avi? Drones take off from runways with no problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wogz187 said:

@avibird 1,

What runway are you using, Avi? Drones take off from runways with no problem.

I think he's referring to the CARRIER runway.

I just tested both the sentinel and the grayhawk and they DO LAUNCH FROM THE CATAPULT. Just slowly approach the catapult and the hold-action will pop-up. both take off even without flaps and fully loaded.

No gentleman I am referring to any runway. I have a UAF operator in my squad. I have a vehicle spawn module down sink to four different drones set to respawn to twice for

1.Darter 

2.sentinal

3.greyhawk

4.falcon

The the runway I'm using located a distant distance away from the squad. 

The sentinel and greyhawk are set up that they will not interfere with each other's taxi in on the runway. Both of them are able to taxi down to get lift for a bit but will end up crashing if I don't switch into the controls to manually get into orbit. the drones cannot follow the waypoints to  get a good take off that you set from the UAV unit you must manually get it in the air. 

Now the darter and falcon no problem because they do vertical takeoffs Elmo follow the waypoints to take off.

The drones cannot follow the waypoints to take off properly from a runway you must do it manually. 

Well I can now get the sentinel in the air but giving it a altitude of 2000 m at the strat from the waypoints but the greyhawk still just goes down using only the waypoints to get it into the air.

@avibird 1, @zagor64bz,

Deja-vu,

On 10/16/2019 at 6:18 PM, wogz187 said:

@avibird 1

Drones take off properly from a runway. They do not taxi very well, or at all.
To launch from a carrier try,

[droneNAME] call BIS_fnc_AircraftCatapultLaunch;

have fun!

• Haha 1

What waypoints are you speaking about?

Did you place waypoints in editor like for any other vehicle? // don't!

did you order some waypoint (like loiter) from the terminal while in game? // works

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pierremgi said:

did you order some waypoint (like loiter) from the terminal while in game? // works

:yeahthat:

• Like 1

@wogz187 I am not using the carrier carrier just a runway😊

@pierremgi I'm setting waypoints through the UVA terminal. I can get the sentinel up with a move waypoint with an altitude of 2000 meters.

The greyhawk will just crash every time. I will try to use the loiter waypoint next time. Hopefully that does the trick 🤪

Tell us more about the way  to reproduce that.

(personally, i gave up with UAV's take off in my scenarios. I place them out of map,  500m high, sim disabled and hidden until a player connect. Then, they returns back in this position/status + resplenishment on disconnection. Simple, efficient, and no more problem like this, btw).