atunero

[1RA] Ramadi City Terrain (Iraq)

Hey guys,

I was a big fan of the old A2 Fallujah map by Shezan74, and I was missing something similar with the A3 quality. So I decided to stop waiting and go ahead with my own project.

This is basically a 10x10 km terrain featuring most of the Ramadi city in Iraq (Al-Anbar province) and surroundings. I'll use A3 vanilla assets whenever I can, but of course it will also require CUP Terrains for the middle eastern stuff.

The project is in its very early stages, so what I have so far is:

- 10240 x 10240px resolution satmap image (1px/m aprox)

- Very detailed map mask.

- Euphrates river (wip).

- Terrain layers, textures and clutter.

I'm not using a real heightmap because it'll be a pain in the ass for building placement, so I'm editing it manually to add the features that I want. However the map will be mostly flat (like the old Fallujah map).

Right now I'm working on the road network which will take some time to complete. After this I'll begin working on the object placement.

I leave you with some pics of the satmap image and an ingame aerial view.

q7zhw92.png

zvoJHfq.jpg

This is my first terrain, so I am open to suggestions and constructive criticism 😊

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Decent structures do it for me. Recycling the old ones just doesn't get the same results in my opinion. Nothing wrong though with including them in the mix, but it's great seeing new maps with a wider variety of buildings beyond the standard vanilla/CUP ones.

• Like 1

I tested all of these buildings and most of them are unfinished and bugged. Some also lack of collision or even doors. 

I know we are all a bit tired of the vanilla and CUP buildings, but for now we don't have any better option. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, atunero said:

I tested all of these buildings and most of them are unfinished and bugged. Some also lack of collision or even doors. 

I know we are all a bit tired of the vanilla and CUP buildings, but for now we don't have any better option. 

Using CUP/Vanilla buildings would also allow for better performance, better AI, and the interiors for CUP mod would replace the CUP buildings automatically with their Livonia counter parts.

Cuts down on file size dramatically as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klima said:

Using CUP/Vanilla buildings would also allow for better performance, better AI, and the interiors for CUP mod would replace the CUP buildings automatically with their Livonia counter parts.

Cuts down on file size dramatically as well.

Except it wont fit the setting at all or the scale of a middle eastern city. I think RSO is the best bet in this case

• Like 2

21 hours ago, atunero said:

Hey guys,

I was a big fan of the old A2 Fallujah map by Shezan74, and I was missing something similar with the A3 quality. So I decided to stop waiting and go ahead with my own project.

You know, I'm really looking forward to the next decent urban map for ArmA, but you deserve all props you can get for the attitude alone. Love it.

All the best for the project, dude!

9 hours ago, laxemann said:

You know, I'm really looking forward to the next decent urban map for ArmA, but you deserve all props you can get for the attitude alone. Love it.

All the best for the project, dude!

Thanks! I'll do my best 🙂

• Like 3