Sign in to follow this  
aLoneWolf

Wrp 51.2 km * 51.2 km

World (WRP) 51.2 km * 51.2 km = something for hardcore flight-sims fans mainly    smile.gif

WRPquad.jpg

! WARNING: This AddOn is really only for powerful PCs (at least: CPU > 1GHz, RAM > 512MB ) !

! On slower PC you are going to encounter BIG problems (lags) during loading, in MissionEditor & in MapView ("M" key ingame) !

Download here.

That's crazy man!! Great work!

Unfortunately my machine only has 750 Mhz Duron and 256Mb Ram. crazy.gif

One Question?? What machine do we need, if those island will be cultivated with trees, buildings and roadways, etc ?

However... I tested WRPDouble and it was so great, i can't believe there's even more possible.

Regards

GM

wow.gifwow.gifwow.gifwow.gifwow.gif

Woooooow....

I think il get a new computer....

51.2 x 51.2 = 2621,44 kmË›

ouch thats a lot.. +/- 25 times more than normal...

So... I have test it fast...

My test config :

AMD Athlon 1.33GHz

Asus A7V133

512 MB RAM PC-133

ATI Radeon9700Pro

SoundBlasterLive ! Player 1024

DD 30 Go + 40 Go

To many lag in Editor and Map (Key M), it's no possible to put units (but, there is a little mission with a Cobra for fly over island biggrin.gif thanks for that). During fly with cobra, I haven't problem (wiev distance @3000m + AA2x + Aniso 4x).

This size is not usable actually... So... but 25.6km smile.gif No problem smile.gif

I have an other config :

AMD XP1800+

256MB DDR

Radeon8500, I test on this config later...

Vladimir

Can it be bigger than this biggrin.gif

I have a very powerfull pc AMD Athlon 2800XP 2048 DDR RAM 350GZ harddisk and a Geforce Ti-4600 no lag at all it runs very well wink.gif

Damn this map is so big and it be bigger than this like 146.3km X 146.3km tounge.gif

I wait for AMD Hammer for change my config smile.gif

But bigger... that's better smile.gif ExtracTioN, you put objects (trees, house, road, ...) on 146.3km X 146.3km map ? How many time ? 1 year ? 2 years ? biggrin.gif

Vladimir

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([sZ]Vladimir @ Jan. 11 2003,18:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wait for AMD Hammer for change my config smile.gif

But bigger... that's better smile.gif ExtracTioN, you put objects (trees, house, road, ...) on 146.3km X 146.3km map ? How many time ? 1 year ? 2 years ? biggrin.gif

Vladimir<span id='postcolor'>

Nope I haven't put anything but will do it and tell you what happens ok wink.gif

How many time ? <---What cha mean?

1 year ? 2 years ? biggrin.gif <---To what???

Euh... sorry for my english sad.gif

How many time ? = How long does it take to complete the island ?

1 year ? 2 years ? = estimated time for devellopement

and sorry again...

Vladimir

That's a huge island indeed.

Well the main ptoblem was the editor, couldn't do almost anything with the mouse.

However in game,althought i wasn't able to do anythin but to load the included test mission, it went pretty smothly (apart from the map screen) with low detail terrain and visibility set for around 1000m.

My CPU config:

AMD Althon XP 1700+

384MB RAM

64MB Redeon 8500LE

Guest ####

It is going to be 2 months total by the time I have Olafsland fully released. That is a 12.8x12.8 island.

A 26.6x26.6 would theoretically take 4 times as long assumeing you use the whole area for land. So up to 8 months.

A 52.2x52.2, if even useable since a fully done area would have an insane number of buildings, trees and roads, could easily take over a year. 16 times the possible land mass here, if Olafsland was this size the .wrp file would be 32MB!

Realistically the 52.2 size would be used to have a few islands merged, say the origional 4 with a few tiny islands between. This would keep the file sizes realistic so current high end computers could run it.

Now for my test results:

My puter P4 1.5, 768 MB SD ram, GF2 mx 400 64MB ram.

Settings 1078x780 16 bit, 2.1 km clipping range, all but object shadows on (I find some object shadows project wierd).

Results Mission editor screne unuseable, in game map screne useable if in game character not moving. In game graphics and game play is unaffected biggrin.gif

I had no problems at all with Wrpdouble, I think the quad maps are best suited for peeps with whoop ass puters and not middle of the line ones like me. Once map objects are placed these problems could only get worse.

wow nice 50*50 wow.gif

took ages to load on my XP2000 512DDR and GF4 but damn, was flying for nearly 15 minutes (13:42 to be exact) when i flew from one side to the other crazy.gif that was at 250-300kts, imagine driving or worse...on foot trying to cover that! take hours! tounge.gif

So I think that 2x island would be good for four airports on the whole island for an air campaign or something and perhaps that 4x island can go to hell because theres no way i can deal with lag. Just a little humor.

i thought ai can only "use" one airport (meaning land, take off, taxi etc) but would still be cool, especially MP.

Its only laggy for me though when i view the map, its fine in game, anyone know why this is?

I agree this idea : 3 or 4 big Islands and a few tiny Islands for 52.2km map smile.gif, but why not with 25.6 km Islands too ?

Vladimir

I managed to play on it using my:

Duron 700 MHz

512 MB RAM

And it ran just fine - apart from the mission editor being unusable and the map being quite laggy. The last problem is easily solved by making a printed version of the map (like i got of the original islands anyway) - though it will take some paper.

[edit]

But it really gives me a reason to upgrade my computer.

[/edit]

By the way - is the WRPdouble map a sub-portion of the WRPquad map - you say they'rwe both from SF area. If it is - which coordinates on the WRPquad is the corners on the WRPdouble map?

Lag in Mission Editor on this config :

Athlon XP 2400+

512 MB RAM DDR PC2700

GeForce4 Ti4200 128 MB

Ok smile.gif we need more RAM smile.gif

Vladimir

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mads bahrt @ Jan. 12 2003,11:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">which coordinates on the WRPquad is the corners on the WRPdouble map?<span id='postcolor'>

Lower left - but in WRPdouble the coords are not swapped, elevations are more modified, another scale, ...

the Alonewolf ? the ofp communauty's legend ? the pionneer of ofp addon makign and editing ....

god .... you're like a living god for me and a few others smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Acidcrash @ Jan. 12 2003,06:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Its only laggy for me though when i view the map, its fine in game, anyone know why this is?<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm, I don't know all the details - but:

In-game you see (O*F engine is calculating) only the scene limited by ViewDistance, ...

In MissionEditor & MapView O*F engine is working with the  ruggedness of the whole landscape ?

For example, when I have tested absolutely flat (no hills) & empty (no 3D-objects) WRP  51.2 km * 51.2 km - I have NO lag problem in MissionEditor or MapView - all was OK...

Of course, such non-detailed WRP is useless - not counting any air fights or sea battles or some testing...

Only for info - my PC: CPU P3/550Mhz, RAM 256MB, TNT2_Ultra/32MB,...

Since the engine only renders the area within viewdistance in the game - why couldn't 3d objects be added?

- Would that increase the lag in the editor/map?

- Would it make the ingame rendering harder than on any normal map?

What's stopping the development of a 25,6 km * 25,6 km map with a normal load of objects? Since it (presumably) only renders within the viewdistance, and the map doesn't lag in this mapsize - could this be done?

And by the way - just to refresh what Suma said earlier on memory requirements:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

I hope I will not disappoint you too much. While Resistance island will be slightly larger than original island, it is still 12.8 km x 12.8 km sized map - and the island area is not 100^2 km, but 100 km^2 (100 square kilometers).

And yes, OFP can handle larger terrains grids than 256x256. There is partiall support for this since 1.46 and it will be fully supported in Resistance. One warning has to follow: using largers islands may be very memory demanding. Minimal memory requirements for various islands size follow (all islands are considered empty, with no objects):

256 x 256 -- 4 MB

512 x 512 -- 16 MB

1024 x1024 -- 63 MB

<span id='postcolor'>

The whole thread can be read at:

This page