The Lerch

The appearance of devs lying to your player base

I have pictures of both of these tweets, however I can’t seem to upload pictures from my phones camera roll. 

Sep 27 a tweet from @lathspel came out saying “borderland Bridges seems to disrupt the antenna signal in shelter. Expect lower amount of crowns until it adjusts to the new situation” -blaming the nerf on a bug 

THEN

sep 30 a tweet from @vigorthegame “ you may have noticed your antenna was tweaked over the weekend- producing a lower amount of crowns we are currently testing this change and are open to your feedback”

two contradicting messages... one unanimously angry player base over changes. 

We are glad you “listen” to feedback, now is probably a good time to react to it; Clearly and as a team.

ps- it would be pretty easy to boost sales if you lower the cost for crowns and increase their value. A common solution I’ve seen straight from the community of your game. 

Psps- can’t express enough how terrible of a decision it was to mess with the antenna unannounced and make it virtually worthless. If you want to increase player retention, there needs to be more games with loot boosted. If no one invests in a game I almost always head straight for the exit.

hope this helps!

-vigor veteran 

• Thanks 1

I wish to be associated with the comments posted by the Lerch.

Thanks for the explanation Lerch, I'd seen you use the term before and couldn't work out WTF it stood for. 

I found the following on Google 🤭

Nerf. 

According to most enthusiasts and the general public, Nerf stands for "non-expanding recreational foam".

• Haha 1

I personally will not buy crowns until the risk of losing said crowns during game drop is eliminated.

I constantly lose crowns due to game drop. Easily around 300 crowns or more  lost so far.

A crown refund fix needs to be one of the devs top priorities honestly.

@Cry2yourMoM

i would agree. I am the person with money to blow on games I like. However I haven’t spent money on this game since buying the founders pack back in February. 

My biggest deterrent for spending money on this game are

1. Losing crowns due to game drop. It is theft; although not intentional. (And prior to the antenna fiasco I had faith in the devs to correct this with crown reimbursement for all or something)

2. The value of crowns is weak. Even with the old antenna values. A maxed antenna use to produce 20 crowns per day. Thats 140 a week or 3 crate upgrades.... I can go through 5-8 games per hour...

3. Game has become pretty great since playing in February, but is still an update or two away from me feeling like I’m gambling crowns on my skill instead of gambling on my game connection.

given these 3 factors, there is plenty of things to try to boost sales. But when the community has constantly commented about losing crowns due to connection issues and no reimbursement; nerfing the only sure way to earn crowns... is anything but rational.

• Thanks 1

Valid and sensible comments Lerch.

I do tend to find it frustrating that Bohemia doesn't appear to take sensible comments from gamers with varying levels of gaming and life experience seriously.

But I will continue to keep faith with Vigor.

Nerf originates from the reference of the kids toy. To nerf something, is to reduce it to power level of a child’s foam weapon. 

My first impression of the crowns production nerf is that Bohemia management saw no one was buying crowns for the game.  So they went to the dev team and probably blamed them for the in game crown production structure.  

My guess is no one thought to ask the economic question, "Why is no one buying?"  Which is obviously -- because we have no confidence that those crowns can be reliably spent when we want to use them (due to the crashing issue).  

This game has 1-2 weeks.  If the crashing and hit recognition isn't fixed, it'll be one of those games we all talk about how we loved the potential, but the developers didn't move quickly enough or prioritize the right items early enough.  I really love Vigor -- I've gotten 4 friends to start playing it with me.  But if this stuff isn't fixed, several other games that come out in the next few weeks will eclipse it and meet our needs for survival/RPG/BR.  I'll still be around -- but my friends won't. i'm sure that's not a unique case.

Hi Robby,

Your reasoning is sound. I've added a number of posts regarding crowns, and how BI could increase purchases.

Hopefully the forthcoming update may address the those issues.

I would also welcome some feedback from BI regarding the server resilience issues that are frustrating outlanders. I have not been subject to the crashes others have reported until this week, where I have seen the game crash back to the start screen from the pre encounter lobby on at least a dozen occasion's.

Had I boosted before the crashes in would have been rightly annoyed.

Other changes that need to occur:

-To decrease toxic duos matches -- eliminate the ability for team killers to get marks on their "kill other outlanders" challenges AND remove the ability to loot a teammate if you killed them (this is in CoD Blackout, and does a lot to keep teamkilling down). This also keeps crown spending down in random duos.

-Decrease the cost of upgrading matches.  Make it 5 crowns for a loot upgrade and 15 crowns for a crate update -- and people will go wild with it every match.  It's more important to develop a dependency and habit out of crown spending (volume) than to make a nice profit from one game where people upgrade a few times (margin).  All the business schools in the world preach volume trumps margin.