Nutzgo

Headless client on rented server

I have a beginner question about headless clients. I've tried reading the HC-guide by Monsoon, but I still have some questions.

My clan and I are renting an online server where we play out or missions, so the server itself is per se considered headless. And I understand that a headless client is just a computer that connects to the server, but itself is not a player. Is it necessary with headless clients on an rented online server?

If so, is it possible then to use the online renting service as headless clients? I've noticed that some server rental sites rents out additional "headless clients", but is this necessary?

Or is it easier (or even possible) to I set up a headless client on the same computer I use for playing arma 3, and make it connect to the online server as an HC?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Nutzgo said:

If so, is it possible then to use the online renting service as headless clients?

Depends on the the renting service.

1 hour ago, Nutzgo said:

is this necessary?

Well, headless clients offer some benefits but also have downsides.  You don't have to run a headless client.  Unless you're running a mission that has to have one. 

1 hour ago, Nutzgo said:

Or is it easier (or even possible) to I set up a headless client on the same computer I use for playing arma 3, and make it connect to the online server as an HC?

It's possible, don't know whether it'll be easier, that depends on the mission you're running, the renting service, ...

5 hours ago, Nutzgo said:

Imho, except if you have a multi CPU on your PC, there is no added value to run HC + player instances on the same PC. HC is made for discarding the CPU load (of the server), redistributing some AIs features on a remote PC. Are you sure you need to divert AIs calculations from server, to your PC already in charge of your player (+ your AI group + owned vehicle)? Not saying that you multiply broadcast data which need sync between server / HC / other clients.

3 minutes ago, pierremgi said:

Imho, except if you have a multi CPU on your PC, there is no added value to run HC + player instances on the same PC. HC is made for discarding the CPU load (of the server), redistributing some AIs features on a remote PC. Are you sure you need to divert AIs calculations from server, to your PC already in charge of your player (+ your AI group + owned vehicle)? Not saying that you multiply broadcast data which need sync between server / HC / other clients.

Thank you for your reply. 

No, I'm not sure that I need it. I'll guess I'll just test it first with the server, and see if the server alone can handle it. 

But if I want a another PC to be a HC, do I also need to buy a second copy of arma 3 for this to work? 

39 minutes ago, Nutzgo said:

But if I want a another PC to be a HC, do I also need to buy a second copy of arma 3 for this to work? 

No, a headless client is launched by passing certain parameters to the dedicated server executable.  Which anyone can get for free on steam.  Have a look at: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Headless_Client

(well, you can also launch a HC by passing some arguments to a normal client but most use the dedicated server exe)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1