anfo

General init question

Hi all

Despite editing for years and enjoying implementing scripts, I've become curious about whether our group are optimising things the right way. Please keep in mind script code is mostly Greek to me.

So, as part of my group, we play only on a dedicated server, however most of our scripts (sans those scripts that tell us where to place them), are in init.sqf. I am concerned that init.sqf may not be the most optimal place for most of them. If we play exclusively on a dedi, shouldn't most, if not all scripts go into something like initServer.sqf for example? My goal is to avoid unnecessary network traffic if possible.

Anfo

30 minutes ago, anfo said:

I am concerned that init.sqf may not be the most optimal place for most of them.

Depends on the script.

30 minutes ago, anfo said:

If we play exclusively on a dedi, shouldn't most, if not all scripts go into something like initServer.sqf for example?

Impossible to say, depends on the scripts.

31 minutes ago, anfo said:

My goal is to avoid unnecessary network traffic if possible.

Depends on the script, things being in init.sqf doesn't cause any more network traffic.

Message received. If the author says init.sqf, then that's where it goes.

I have, however, noticed though a particular script we use has worked perfectly fine for us in the init.sqf for years:

[] execVM "the_script.sqf";

but I just happened to notice today in the author's forum thread he casually mentioned to another user:

if (isServer) then {

if running from a standalone server. This piqued my interest and my reason for this thread.