Sign in to follow this  
amos m

New nvidia drivers (41.09)

I'm using a Gainward geForce4 ti4200 with the latest nVidia Detenator drivers, 41.09, on WinXP and am constantly having system crashes when playing games like OFP and Mafia. I am only guessing that it's the drivers causing me problems, although I have also installed DirectX 9 recently and can't be sure that's not the actual cause of the problem.

Anyone else using the nVidia drivers having system crashes or other problems?

I was using the V41.09 Detonators on Windows XP Professional with DX 8.1 for a while without any problems.

I have since replaced them with the V42.01 drivers -- still no problems. The V42.01 Detonators have a reputation for being more stable and compatible than the V41.09 version, and can be found here.

I've Asus Gforce4 TI4200 with 41.09 (Windows XP) using Directx 9 and no problems with OFP or other game and system crashes.

well i know that when i got direct x 9 i had loads of crashing and thought maybe its my drivers for video card since i got errors with video card but saw that direct x 9 was not installed right and now i get no more errors in my games or drivers liek i did.

Please describe the crash.

I have recently started getting crashes that freeze the game. I sometimes see a moving mouse cursor, but can't continue the game and can't ALT-TAB or CTRL-ALT-DEL. I too upgraded to 41.09 also OFP v1.90 recently.

I have a Gainward TI4200, Win2000, Detonator 41.09 and DirectX 8.1.

No problems...

Creative 3DBlaster Ti 4200 - 41.09 and no problems. Compared to the 41.03 drivers (which ran very reliable) they are are even better, as I can now run OFP in my desktop resolution (41.03 had graphics errors if I didn't use a higher/lower resolution ingame).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (toadeater @ Jan. 11 2003,17:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why do you want to use the 41.09 drivers if the 42.01 drivers are out?

42.01 Detonators

I am using them right now, no problems with them so far.<span id='postcolor'>

beats me biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Greg @ Jan. 11 2003,21:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Please describe the crash.

I have recently started getting crashes that freeze the game.  I sometimes see a moving mouse cursor, but can't continue the game and can't ALT-TAB or CTRL-ALT-DEL.  I too upgraded to 41.09 also OFP v1.90 recently.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah. I was having crashes like that, and also sometimes the computer would just restart.

I went back to 40.72 (only ones I could find) and the crashes stopped, but am just about to dl the 42.01 drivers and see how they worked for me.

I had those crashes too, as i reinstalled windows with new nvidia drivers (Asus GeForce 2). As my standard operating system is LINUX i am hoping for a OFP-LINUX version someday, so i can get rid of this sh* MS-Windows.

After some testing i realized that the crashes stopped when i changed the colour depth from true colour (32bit) to high colour (16bit).

I had some other problems, regarding firewire support and capturing videos which disappeared when i installed the via-latency patch for the via-chipset on my motherboard. Maybe this stops the crashes with high colour too. Did not test it yet.

Regards, artie

I experience crashes with my 41.09 drivers. Have dx9.0 and so on.

i believe the Video card drivers are having compatibility problems with motherboards.

as you can read from above some people dont have a problem and some do have a problem with OFP as they use the same video card with the same drivers.

i recommend a BIOS update. (find the manufacturer's website)

especially on AMD processors with a VIA motherboards.

as for directx 9.0 i've heard from IT peeple that it causes problems. i recommend 8.1 on this also.

do not update your bios or any drivers if your not having problems with the game because this may lead to problems!

I had those crashing problems with WinXP home ed. + MSI GF4 Ti4200 and Detonator 41.07 and 41.09 drivers + DirectX 8.1. The easiest way to get windows crash was to change between desktop and game (e.g. editing a mission) back and forth. My desktop was 1280x1024x32 and OFP 1024x768x32.

I also notised from different forums that people tend to get crashes in situations where resolution and/or color depth changes, e.g. in the beginning of game demo, between 3Dmark 2001 tests etc.

So, I changed the desktop resolution to the same as OFP and NO MORE CRASHES! Seems to be some issue in Detonator drivers and changing the resolution/color depth in WinXP?

----

HW:

Abit NF7-S nforce2 mb

Athlon XP 1700+ Throughbred

MSI GeForce4 TI4200-64mb

Windows XP Home edition

I don't think it's heating prob, it worked fine with 98SE and same resos. Besides it really crashed only in the resolution change, never during a 3D game (when the GPU should be dissipating the most heat). Of course the problem might be an incompability between different hw and sw components and not the driver issue...

The funniest thing is that sometimes the Windows didn't completely crash but instead changed the resolution to 640x480x4 with 60Hz refresh and jumped to desktop.

I've found that I also get crashes using 41.09 when playing video playback, like a dvd etc. To solve these probs i need to go back to at least 40.72, but then I get texture problems in unreal 2 and gta3 and some other games, and if I go back to 30.82 then I don't have control over my refresh rate etc. (I can set up to at least 120hz but my system says that my monitor doens't support it, though I know it does). So for now I just gotta keep exchanging drivers. bummer.

Have you tried the V43.00 drivers? They are the best Detonators I've ever used, and also the highest-rated ones on Guru3D. Don't bother with the V43.30 drivers that are floating around, though.

I haven't had much luck with beta drivers as of yet, but thanks, I'll take a look at em.

The 43.00 crash durint ALT-Tab for me. Pre 41.09 didn't (at lest with the OFP version I was using at the time). I used to copy map files during MP games, or check email during SP games, but ALT-Tab is unstable with latest drivers and this game. I don't think I have had a single crash ALT-tab-ing from UT2003 or other games.

30.82, nothing is as stable as this version.

Works well with all games, especially OFP. wink.gif

I've reverted back to this version, seeing too many crashes in OFP when ALT-TABing with later Detonator versions.

-- Happy (Windows XP Pro, DirectX 9, good old GeForce 256)

PS. Links 2001(full)/2003(demo) is one game which *only* works with the 30.82 drivers for me. Takes approximately ONE MINUTE to render a scene if I enable 3D hardware support with the 4x.xx Detonator drivers, a few secs with the 30.82 drivers.