grimwald

NSMSB3 (Namalsk Stalker Mini Sand Box for ARMA3)

G'day all,

Years ago I attempted this idea on ARMA 2:OA and was not able to get a fully working scenario. It was playable to completion but not enjoyable because the premise was let down in execution. Original forum topic, here:

With some great mods available I was able to get very close to this original conception in ARMA3 and release to Steam!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1859288055

And to try and help my Russian speaking Stalkers-in-arms I string-tabled the whole lot (but only machine translation, so any volunteers to turn it into native Russian would be awesome; eg. alter cultural slang, transliterations and such).

Namalsk Stalker Mini Sand Box - survival version

logo.jpg

After the explosion the military are coming for you. Find the captain and what is going on as you try to survive in a Stalker-inspired Namalsk. Ravage AI raiders and survival system. 20+ tasks and save your game with ARMA-3 vanilla save system. Earn a cache discovery system with over 70 caches to be found. There are no artifacts, per se, in the game to avoid downloading 3Gb+ of ARMStalker for just a small component. ACE medical has been limited to basic so it is not as intrusive but we still get the nice ACE menus.

Намальск Сталкер Мини Песочница - версия выживания
После взрыва за вами идут военные. Найдите капитана и узнайте, что происходит, когда вы пытаетесь выжить в вдохновленном Сталкером Намальске. Ravage AI рейдеры и система выживания. 20+ заданий и сохраните свою игру с помощью ванильной системы ARMA-3. Заработайте систему обнаружения кеша с более чем 70 кешами. По сути, в игре нет артефактов, которые позволили бы не загружать 3Gb + ARMStalker только для небольшого компонента. Медицинское обслуживание ACE было ограничено базовым, поэтому оно не столь навязчиво, но мы все еще получаем отличные меню ACE.

К сожалению, русскоязычная часть этой игры переведена автоматически. Если кто-то хочет сделать это лучше, свяжитесь со мной.

Style of Game

Single Player

RPG (E&E + tasks + sandbox)

Mods list:

Most of the mods' settings are set to NOT overwrite the client. You can tweak it to whatever you enjoy.

ace (I like the menus, but dialed down the medical a lot for SP)
RHS AFRF
RHS GREF
RHS USAF

ASR AI3
CAB_A3
RHSSAF
Ravage
Namalsk
Multi-Play Uniforms
MCC Sandbox (only there for the cold filter)

Friths Ruin
Enhanced Movement (I think this is the culprit of the ACE interact warnings)
CUP Weapons
CUP ACE3 compatibility for CUP Weapons
CUP Units
CUP Vehicles
CUP Terrains - Core
CUP Terrains - Maps
Namalsk CUP Replace (Rail Patch)
CBRN Defense Units (LEGACY REUP)

Spoiler

Tips at the start (spoilers):
Get out of the start area fast. There is a useful cache west of the base under a tree. Search Norinsk building that is under construction. After the first two tasks you could easily ignore the rest and just explore.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Updated so when you are given a cache location a script checks if cache is empty then repopulates it with goodies.

I've started playing it and taking notes just in case, but then about 15 minutes in I couldn't take it any longer. It's not the mission but the map. Maybe it's my system, I often see lighting problems in converted maps but still not as bad as in Namalsk. I am almost completely blinded when not on snowy ground. The sky is completely cloudy yet it is so bright, or maybe the ground is so dark that I barely see anything non-snowy ground. The screen is very difficult to look at.

@neofit Have you tried adjusting your contrast and/or gamma settings? Also you can apply a postprocess of your choice through debug console, MCC or some other "admin" mod. I have read other people have a lot of problems with the dark Namalsk ground textures. Some postprocess filters make this worse than others so I kind of get it. I run IPS monitors so if you are on a TN it might be worse than what I can experience.

Edited by grimwald
extra info
  • Like 1

Thank you very much for sharing this mission grimwald !  :thumbs-up:

Congratulations for the release !

Stalker like missions , are always a must play and Namalsk is also one of my favourite maps !

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2019 at 1:41 PM, neofit said:

The sky is completely cloudy yet it is so bright, or maybe the ground is so dark that I barely see anything non-snowy ground. The screen is very difficult to look at.

You could try running my Sullen Skies for Namalsk mod, personally, I think it makes a big difference to the lighting. :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

Sullen Skies would recapture the Nightstalkers/stormy Bering Sea vibe really well. I'll try it, too.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 6:01 PM, EO said:

You could try running my Sullen Skies for Namalsk mod, personally, I think it makes a big difference to the lighting.

Tried it today finally. It does make things better, but it is still too dark, even with the in-game brightness to the max. When I run around, I see a light brown circle on the ground all around me at about 30m, it moves with me, and beyond the ground is nearly black. Outside this circle, if I am shooting at AIs that are among trees with the sky in the background, the latter is so bright and the trees so dark that it's like shooting at a black silhouette on a black background. Even with all lights in the room turned off. Also, when I look at the same scene through an SVD scope, I am getting some nice shades of green instead of shades of black and everything is visible. Trees are not green without the scope, they are different shades of black. I haven't seen such an effect on any other map. It's like night time ground with day time skies.

I depboed and derapified the Sullen skies config.bin, but I have no idea what to change in there. 🙂