nkenny

LAMBS Improved Danger.fsm

@Devastator_cm
Your confusion is understandable.  The CQB waypoint remains the same. The CQB formations  (configured by default to be "FILE" and "DELTA/DIAMOND") no longer have specific behaviours attached to them.  That functionality having been supplanted by the new group memory system.  The old functionality has just been commented out and might reappear in the future. 

-k 

• Like 2

Many thanks for the new release! 👍

I just had some small tests with rather simple missions. The difference is quite impressive!

Now you actually get supressed by the AI in an intensity, that you are really not inclined to raise your head above your cover. 👍

Two small questions:

- Does the mod affect the AI usage of grenades?

I noticed some sensible usage of smoke grenades, but very little or no frags or 40mm?

- Is there any documentation of the variables available for tinkering with AI behavior in missions?

I would prefer that over the (very comfortable) Eden settings, to avoid introducing a mod dependency in my missions.

@oldy41
Glad you liked it. 

1. The AI will deploy smoke grenades and 40mm smoke (when available) to cover certain types of actions.  Both can be toggled in CBA settings. Mind you, the AI will also deploy smoke when suppressed via. standard Bohemia config. 

2. Link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is great! This (along with the other LAMBS stuff, like Orks and Suppression) make Arma feel so fresh, especially since I play single player 99% of the time. I've a question about the settings though, I disabled danger.fsm for player group, and that got them following and responding to orders, but what does the other player group option do if I disable/enable it, I think it's called reaction? 

• Like 2

@Broseph_Stalin90
All groups have a 'reaction' or contact state they go through on first meeting the enemy.  This means diving for cover, suppressing, and crawling into buildings. This can be disruptive on the player group. So we have an option to turn it off.   If you've toggled the general AI for the player group. No worries. 

-k 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nkenny said:

This means diving for cover,

Did you really get a dive to cover animation going? That would be supreme 

On 4/15/2021 at 2:36 PM, nkenny said:

AI will also deploy smoke when suppressed via. standard Bohemia config. 

Is there a settings to avoid this?

@sammael
BIS config I'm afraid.  I guess it would be possible to mod somehow, but unfortunately with setting. 

-k 

DwV1HCA.png
Development Version LAMBS Danger.fsm

The team recently established a Development Version of LAMBS Danger.fsm on the Steam Workshop.  That version has just been updated with another sneak peek at what 2.5.1 will bring. 

Changelog wrapped within

Spoiler

Version 2.5.1 Dev Release 2
Added new pathfinding/formations module*
Added ZEN Context Actions for Reinforcement

Fixed units standing up at inopportune times in assault/assaultMemory
Fixed groups rarely utilising 'aggressive' contact state
Fixed groups failing to use hand signals and callouts
Fixed units spamming 'Negative'
Fixed armoured vehicles suppressing useless positions
Fixed issue with taskAssault calling taskArtillery

Changed Renamed DisableGroupAI Module to Configure Group AI

Improved Render Positions of DebugDraw
Improved brainEngage handling of speed change when engaging
Improved brainEngage exit clause by better balanced ammunition check
Improved simplified params array in danger fsm
Improved prevent Script Errors with TaskArtillery when no Artillery is defined

Version 2.5.1 Dev Release
Added custom share information handlers (by mjc4wilton)
Added artillery crew will disembark when threatened by near enemies
Added skipCheckRounds will also skip main strike delay
Added debug marker for spotter
Added more robust stance changes and forceMove to tacticsFlank to induce more movement
Added reset for 'ATTACK'-locked units in findReadyUnits (fixes reporting units which are not ready)
Added findNearbyVehicles ~ standardised function to find ready vehicles
Added stricter handling of flanking units (forcing them to not board transports)
Added exit condition on 'lambs_danger_forceMove' in brainForced
Added 'forceMove' variable to hiding to increase reliability
Added unified callout and share information

Fixed check round barrages nearly always be one round
Fixed debug markers were occasionally not removed when caller died
Fixed flanking units choosing spots too close
Fixed allowed suppressing units to suppress outdoor spots (performance)
Fixed doGroupFlank set wrong forceMove variable
Fixed doVehicleAssault visibility check
Fixes doGroupFlanks tendency to not do anything!
Fixes doGroupAssault tendency to cause AI to look in circles!
Fixes doAssault building sorting distance to more reliably assault buildings
Fixed doGroupFlanks tendency to not do anything!
Fixed doGroupAssault tendency to cause AI to look in circles!
Fixed doAssault building sorting distance to more reliably assault buildings
Fixed doSuppress ignoring position of friendlies on last check

Changed artillery debug markers uses a colour not used by a faction
Changed static weapon crew will disembark when threatened (instead of only effective commander)
Changed timing for isLeader check. Non-leaders will now only check 5% rather than 10% of the time (for performance)
Changed minimum suppression range from 25 to 28 meters

Improved isNight.sqf performance by use of getEnvSound Controllers (by RCA3)
Improved taskGarrison to only seek cover positions when necessary
Improved doShareInformation performance
Improved getShareInformationParams performance
Improved performance of findNearbyFriendlies
Improved performance of isAlive check
Improved performance doGroupSuppress (simpler position)
Improved performance of doSuppress (adjust order of checks, simpler lineIntersectSurface test)
Improved performance of doVehicleSuppress (adjusted order of checks)
Improved Convert remoteExec/remoteExecCall to CBA Target Events
Improved performance of brainEngage by having zero-time exit variables
Improved performance by skipping unnecessary vector additions to suppression
Improved performance by removing unnecessary checks
Improved brainReact handling of doCover state
Improved doDodge performance -- removing unnecessary checks*
Improved doHide performance -- added earlier exit
Improved sorting of ready artillery

Changelog end

Performance

A key focus area for 2.5.1 was performance. Both in the sense of AI flow and frames. Already, the development version has added massive performance improvements in both categories.  You can try it right now on the steam workshop. 

LAMBS Formations

This version sees the inclusion of an internal path and formation mod into LAMBS Danger.fsm. What to look for:

1. Infantry will be faster to move into and through buildings

2. Infantry formations will be slightly more compact, but also quicker to react

3. Stress and outright horror at being flanked and destroyed in urban areas.

From the team
diwako / joko / nkenny

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Good day, nkenny. Is it possible to download dev version not from steam? Thank you

@boss00521
Though not yet actualised, it will be available from our gitHub.

-k 

• Like 1

How does the AI use of flares at night work? It would be really handy for AI to use flares during night missions, but it seems really inconsistent on who uses them, like for example some of the CFP factions use them while others don't, and I haven't seen any of the IFA3 WW2 or Hanson's CUP Vietnam factions using them- do they require the unit to have a grenade launcher or something for them to use them?

Hey @nkenny, loving the LAMBS AI mod!

Quick question/request, could you possibly add the ability to stop the AI using flares in their lambs_wp_fnc_taskHunt parameters. It is by far my favourite task to use, but in some situations i would like to have the behaviour of the "HUNT", while not giving the players the ability to watch the sky for flares and know what is coming.

An additional request, add the ability to increase the AI speed for the task hunt, again, in some situations i am looking for the "HUNT" behaviour but want them to move a little faster toward the players while not task rushing them.

Cheers, keep up the great work!

• Like 1

So after switching to the Dev version of LAMBS on our server I've been noticing an odd behaviour for the civilian AI.

While playing a roadblock mission I've noted that the AI stops way ahead of the roadblock itself and then gets out of their cars. Dragging them bac inside it as Zeus only works half the time in making them move again, and in some cases they decide to go anywhere but down the road and where they're meant to go.
This despite that the road is free from obstructions all the way from start to finish.

The civilian waypoints are set up as follows:

if ( _type == "MOVE" ) then {
        _bp1 = _grp addWaypoint [getmarkerpos "slowdown", 5];
        _bp1 setWaypointType "MOVE";
        _bp1 setWaypointSpeed "FULL";
        _bp1 setWaypointBehaviour "CARELESS";
        _bp1 setWaypointFormation "LINE";

_bp2 = _grp addWaypoint [getmarkerpos "stop", 2];
        _bp2 setWaypointType "MOVE";
        _bp2 setWaypointSpeed "LIMITED";
        _bp2 setWaypointBehaviour "CARELESS";
        _bp2 setWaypointFormation "LINE";
        _bp2 setWaypointStatements ["RBD_CLEAR == 1", ""];

_bp3 = _grp addWaypoint [getmarkerpos "moveup", 2];
        _bp3 setWaypointType "MOVE";
        _bp3 setWaypointSpeed "LIMITED";
        _bp3 setWaypointBehaviour "CARELESS";
        _bp3 setWaypointFormation "LINE";

_bp4 = _grp addWaypoint [getmarkerpos "dest", 3];
        _bp4 setWaypointType "MOVE";
        _bp4 setWaypointSpeed "NORMAL";
        _bp4 setWaypointBehaviour "CARELESS";
        _bp4 setWaypointFormation "LINE";
    };

In this case they all stop at "slowdown", get out of the car and stand around doing nothing. 

To deal with an earlier issue with cars bypassing the roadblock I added 

_stoplambs = _grp setVariable ["lambs_danger_disableGroupAI",true];

to the main spawn loop, but that doesn't seem to have done anything.

On 3/28/2021 at 3:59 PM, mickeymen said:

LAMBS team, I made video example of mentioned issues.

As seems to me, the video clearly shows some problems.

a) AI suppresses the enemy through objects. tries to suppress the enemy through objects, it makes no sense.

b) AI suppresses opponents without regard to line of sight. The video shows, that the AI cannot see even an approximate location of the enemy, but this AI begins to suppress.

As you understand, It doesn't look natural, because a person is not able to see through buildings, the shooting man needs at least some kind of view

Hi LAMBS team, thanks for new releases!

But still I have a question that still bothers me

Before, I have informed you about non-human AI behavior in 2.5.0 DEV version.

Yesterday I downloaded both versions (2.5 stable and 2.5.1 DEV) and had tests with it.

I see that this problem remains the same as in version 2.5.0 DEV version - AI will see opponents through buildings and shoot at buildings or other obstacles in front of you,  that are in the line of fire.

It looks not good, or do you disagree with me? You have not commented on this problem in any way, i don't know why this serious problem was ignored.

Is there really no way to give the AI a suppression ban, if there is a big building or blinding fence on its line of fire?  These big things which is guaranteed to block visibility.

It's not even a matter of AI visibility. This is a matter of human behavior. No soldier in any war will shoot empty buildings or fences in front of him, even if an ally shares information with him about enemy location

I made a video again, it doesn't look good

An example again with a fence, but the AI will also ignore buildings, large buildings in its line of fire!
Looks very bad (

1 hour ago, mickeymen said:

AI will see opponents through buildings and shoot at buildings or other obstacles in front of you,  that are in the line of fire.

It looks not good, or do you disagree with me? You have not commented on this problem in any way, i don't know why this serious problem was ignored.

Is there really no way to give the AI a suppression ban, if there is a big building or blinding fence on its line of fire?  These big things which is guaranteed to block visibility.

It's not even a matter of AI visibility. This is a matter of human behavior. No soldier in any war will shoot empty buildings or fences in front of him, even if an ally shares information with him about enemy location.

An example again with a fence, but the AI will also ignore buildings, large buildings in its line of fire!
Looks very bad (

I believe the issue you are bringing up is actually a feature of LAMBS.

It is related to how Ai in LAMBS can suppress buildings where they suspect enemies might be.

So it is not that the Ai can see through buildings but rather they remember seeing you go into the building and then try to flush you out.

It is also a common tactic in war for a part of the squad to suppress enemy positions so the other part can flank and approach safely.

I actually find the feature quite very immersive, with the added benefit that players can at least know where they are being fired from. (In regular arma you often spot enemies the moment they headshot you)

I also believe you can just disable the suppression behavior if it is not to your liking. These war tactics are certainly not suitable on scenarios where civilians are involved.

Now I agree that if they go prone and loose direct line of sight of the first floor of the building they should stop shooting because they will be hitting obstacles along the way and look bad.

Sorry but thats a terrible video demonstration - alls we see is seemingly a human player firing at a brick wall and some AI in the backround who appear to be firing at god knows what. If your gonna complain about a bug -at least show it actually happening with precision

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, froggyluv said:

Sorry but thats a terrible video demonstration - alls we see is seemingly a human player firing at a brick wall and some AI in the backround who appear to be firing at god knows what. If your gonna complain about a bug -at least show it actually happening with precision

Dude, if this video isn't enough for you, it's probably okay for a soldier to shoot at an empty wall in front of him! Perhaps this is adequate behavior for you, I don't have much more to tell you...

And in general, why do you need my clear video for you? Just put two squads on any island, turn on the spectator mode and spend your 5 minutes! you will see the problem if you have eyes ;)

I believe that both videos I have provided are exhaustive ...

No one soldier will shoot at the wall in front of him, this is absurd

I didn’t make a video only when a soldier shooting at a house instead of a wall,  but what's the difference if the problem is already 100% visible

I am deliberately showing the red units behind the wall! They are located at a distance of 200-300 meters from this wall and it is not important what they are doing.

The important thing - is that the green soldier can see them through the wall and try to shoot through the wall!

28 minutes ago, LSValmont said:

I believe the issue you are bringing up is actually a feature of LAMBS.

It is related to how Ai in LAMBS can suppress buildings where they suspect enemies might be.

So it is not that the Ai can see through buildings but rather they remember seeing you go into the building and then try to flush you out.

Sorry dude, this is nonsense!

Previously, I had a lot of tests with 2.4.4, there was no such behavior

Secondly, AI cannot "remember" about those places where the enemy was. There were NEVER enemies in these buildings! The enemy has not yet reached it.

I'm watching the game!

I see this behavior, and what is happening is your AI team has seen the target, and they are suppressing the building, giving you the opportunity to flank and kill.  It's usually fairly effective, giving you cover fire.

I could be wrong, of course.  Although this does seem to be the case most of the time, your AI team offering sustained cover fire.  Not sure, I guess the author will address the issue when he sees fit.

38 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

I see this behavior, and what is happening is your AI team has seen the target, and they are suppressing the building, giving you the opportunity to flank and kill.  It's usually fairly effective, giving you cover fire.

I could be wrong, of course.  Although this does seem to be the case most of the time.  

Oh my god ... you don't see anything at all ...

Which building are they suppressing? There is a wall before building! They seppress an empty wall (I was show you the machinegunner in second video)

In the first video, it's just a soldier, next to the player. They all shoot at the empty wall in front of them, this is not normal, because there is no point in it.

Even if they suppress the building, what's the point?

The enemy is 300 meters away from this building! You did not understand?

Look carefully at how far the enemy is from the wall and building

PS Yes, you most likely do not see the enemy in the second video, how far away he is! Look first video - 

1 minute ago, mickeymen said:

Dude, if this video isn't enough for you, it's probably okay for a soldier to shoot at an empty wall in front of him! Perhaps this is adequate behavior for you, I don't have much more to tell you...

And in general, why do you need my clear video for you? Just put two squads on any island, turn on the spectator mode and spend your 5 minutes! you will see the problem if you have eyes 😉

I believe that both videos I have provided are exhaustive ...

No one soldier will shoot at the wall in front of him, this is absurd

I didn’t make a video only of a soldier shooting at a house instead of a wall,  but what's the difference if the problem is already 100% visible

Sorry dude, this is nonsense!

Previously, I had a lot of tests with 2.4.4, there was no such behavior

Secondly, AI cannot "remember" about those places where the enemy was. There were NEVER enemies in these buildings! The enemy has not yet reached it.

I'm watching the game!

Remember that LAMBs provides improvements to the combat behavior but it is not going to fix other core issues with the default Arma 3 Ai.

When the Ai unit changes stances but it was previously given a suppressFor command they will continue to fire even if they loose line of sight. That is a behavior hardcoded into the command and there is hardly anything a modder can do to change that.

Inform yourself about the command here: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/suppressFor

I get it that you want a more realistic behavior from the Ai... and that is why LAMBs exists, and it is ok for you to report known unrealistic behavior but what it is not OK is to take it personally if it is not fixed/acknowledged by the devs because it is out of their scope and moding capabilities.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mickeymen said:

I am deliberately showing the red units behind the wall! They are located at a distance of 200-300 meters from this wall and it is not important what they are doing.

The important thing - is that the green soldier can see them through the wall and try to shoot through the wall!

Pro tip kid -explain everything thats happening in the video when you post it -not after the fact. You see -your assuming everyone knows what you know -but thats not the case. For instance I thought that was you, the player firing at the wall and you were drawing a response of the AI behind the wall firing back at you -you know why I thought that -because your video evidence is garbage. You ever make any mods? If you have youd know that it reallly helps that when people bug report -they take the time to be informative, not dump some garbage little 11 second video with zero context on their laps _"Fix this!!"

Fixing bugs, especially in AI mods, can be exhaustive. You want them to do the work -put a little more effort than an 11 second clip of nothingness

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mickeymen said:

Oh my god ... you don't see anything at all ...

Which building are they suppressing? There is a wall up to the building! They sepress an empty wall (I show you the machinegunner)!

Second, even if they suppress the building, what's the point? The enemy is 300 meters away from this building! You did not understand? Look carefully at how far the enemy is from the wall and building

Yea, sorry, all I can see in your vid there are troop markers on the other side of the wall, where the rifleman is shooting.  That particular instance you have showed is a bit wonky to be honest, as he is shooting at a wall for no reason lol.   He knows troops are there, but tries to kill then through the wall.  I don't see that kind of thing too often, but yea, it happens.