nkenny

LAMBS Improved Danger.fsm

@Dallas Medina

Thank you for the feedback!

Unfortunately your experience does not fully match mine. Then again, I will happily admit that the mod has been developed with an eye towards the COOP (PvE), moreso than warfare or single player. would like to improve that aspect.

Perhaps if you could describe in detail or post videos of what you are seeing on your end? I know the AI has a very strong response to armoured, tracked vehicles and enemy air assets, which might be what's causing trouble.

Throwing grenades randomly is no good. The mod does, however, not affect grenade throwing or any other weapon config-- aside from making suppressive fire more likely. This sounds like an AI being given conflicting orders 🙂

Finally, the setting:

group enableAttack false;

Will disable many of the smaller attack and movement functions present in the mod. For better control, it may be worth exploring on player led groups.

---

@RCA3

The team and I would be interested in the AI performing more deliberate suppressive fire. Feel free to throw it our way 🙂

@Jagdgeschwader

That sounds like a reasonable CBA setting. Though solving it with more ammo bearers is around 2000% cooler. If not 2001% 

@froggyluv

Refinement is what this is all about! I read feedback reports hungrily and have copious notes on internal tests. (The number of AI on AI engagements I have watched is getting ridiculous). What I mean is, keep the reports going 🙂

I hope to explore adding more animations-- giving far more distinct and clear feedback in the future. 

Thank you for reading,

-k

• Like 1

Hi @nkenny

After the last update I have this error, every time I shoot with an RPG32:

'...["","","","","","","_sh"];
private _p - /#/getpos _sh;
_p params ["_px","_py","pz"...'
Error getpos: Type String, expected Object,Location

I'm not sure if it's related to you mode, but before this update I didn't have this error.

@vafana
Hmm. That code isn't from me.  Are you running lambs_rpg? I will test the RPG32 local here. 

-k 

Yes, with LAMBS RPG mod.

@vafana
I am not seeing that error on my end. Even testing with CBA, ACE3, and RHS. Though on occasion the RPG32 does throw an error on starting up. Which suggests dodgy load order. The lambs_rpg is in any case due a revisit. Try disabling the mod on your end and see if it persists. 

-k 

34 minutes ago, nkenny said:

@vafana
I am not seeing that error on my end. Even testing with CBA, ACE3, and RHS. Though on occasion the RPG32 does throw an error on starting up. Which suggests dodgy load order. The lambs_rpg is in any case due a revisit. Try disabling the mod on your end and see if it persists. 

-k 

I did some tests, it seems that it has nothing to do with your mods, it was Blastcore and the new dev branch update.

Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate your work.:thumb:

13 hours ago, nkenny said:

Finally, the setting:

group enableAttack false;

Will disable many of the smaller attack and movement functions present in the mod. For better control, it may be worth exploring on player led groups.

@nkenny May I ask, it seems that the group enableAttack false; command would also disable the Ai's ability to respond to threats when used for temporarily disabling LAMBS Danger as it is an Arma 3 command.

Can we get a LAMBS specific command (only affecting the mod and not default Arma 3) that could be used on scripts to temporarily disable LAMBS FSM until the Ai under player command are done with their orders/waypoints?

I am asking because I've custom scripts that allow medics to heal wounded allied soldiers and a script for disarmed Ai to re arm themselves and both are working worst while LAMBS is enabled. It would be great to be able to disable LAMBS temporarily on specific units/groups or player led groups with a command.

Besides that LAMBS really makes the Ai come to life and behave like it "cares" for his life. The use of cover and buildings is impressive and finally after so many years the Arma 3 Ai is capable of credible CQB engagements!

Also, don't let yourself down with some of the feedback as you are on a experimenting phase and threading uncharted territory here so it is OK to make mistakes 😉

You've got the community's full support on your noble endeavors! 

• Like 1

LAMBS Danger.fsm
New release: Current version 1.42 *HOTFIX*

Changelog
- Fix Prevents combat information from being shared with units set to CARELESS
- Adds unit value to disable the danger FSM for a specific unit*
- Misc performance tweaks 

Changes
This release introduces the variable "dangerAIEnabled" which is attached directly to units to disable the danger.fsm from running: 

<unit> setVariable ["dangerAIEnabled",true]; <-- enabled 
<unit> setVariable ["dangerAIEnabled",false]; <-- disabled

EDITED TO AVOID CONFUSION  as per 2.4.4+ the relevant variable is: 

<unit> setVariable ["lambs_danger_disableAI", true];  <--- To disable individual AI.

This can be done mid combat, but may in certain states take a few seconds to initiate. Combined with disableAI settings for "COVER" or "AUTOCOMBAT" you can create a nearly fearless AI with few scruples for personal safety. This hotfix represents a code branch of version 1.5. The author cannot guarantee that the variable names will remain the same in function or naming for the proper 1.5 release version. Expect the functionality to remain the same or improved.

---

Steam Workshop

---

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

8 minutes ago, nkenny said:

LAMBS Danger.fsm

Changelog

Changes
This release introduces the variable "dangerAIEnabled" which is attached directly to units to disable the danger.fsm from running: 

This can be done mid combat, but may in certain states take a few seconds to initiate. Combined with disableAI settings for "COVER" or "AUTOCOMBAT" you can create a nearly fearless AI with few scruples for personal safety. This hotfix represents a code branch of version 1.5. The author cannot guarantee that the variable names will remain the same in function or naming for the proper 1.5 release version. Expect the functionality to remain the same or improved.

---

Steam Workshop

---

Damn you are fast @nkenny!

This was a much needed addition! Thank you!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nkenny said:

This is, for me, a massive step forward. As a coop mission maker, I spend lots of time fiddling with the AI making them do just what I want and this gives me a level of control I need. One question, if the variable is undefined on the unit, is that defaulted to true or false?

• Like 1

The variable defaults to TRUE. That is "dangerAIEnabled" is trueSet it to false to disable. 

-k 

- edit: Haha, I guess I was a little hasty. Could have been dangerAIdisabled. Oh well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hey man, thanks for the update!

still having problems with squad staying in Combat mode, tell them to go aware and they auto switch to combat. Have to tell them to regroup a lot as they keep running off and doing their own thing. . Also they say negative like every 10 seconds and i have no idea why. The building clearing and use of cover is fantastic, just currently a pain in the ass to keep regrouped

26 minutes ago, Unleashthepain said:

still having problems with squad staying in Combat mode, tell them to go aware and they auto switch to combat. Have to tell them to regroup a lot as they keep running off and doing their own thing. . Also they say negative like every 10 seconds and i have no idea why. The building clearing and use of cover is fantastic, just currently a pain in the ass to keep regrouped

Lol that sounds like VCOM AI. I stopped using that a long time ago because of exactly what you described.

I don’t understand why people complain about the behavior of units !?  I personally consider the mod ideal in terms of gameplay, I have already created a huge amount of mission, and I see that AI has become much smarter.

7 hours ago, Unleashthepain said:

I guess it's because they can't find a path; that's when they spam "negative" the most.

@nkenny When you tell them to go somewhere, do you use an AGL position? Note that if the position is not in AGL format, they might not be able to find a path (something I learned while working on my own AI)

• Like 1

@Leopard20

I generally call for AGL (building positions) or ATL (essentially the same) when manoeuvring to the targets last known or expected location. 

Ideally I want the mod to run straight out of the box, with longer cycles of higher intensity combat. 

I do find pathfinding with the vanilla settings to occasionally be a limiting pain. 

@Unleashthepain

Arma has a panoply of maps and mods. Do you have a video and modlist or location?

14 minutes ago, nkenny said:

I generally call for AGL (building positions) or ATL (essentially the same) when manoeuvring to the targets last known or expected location. 

AGL is not the same as ATL when you're on water, but I guess it's not applicable for most infantry combat situations. It might be a path finding issue then.

8 hours ago, nkenny said:

Arma has a panoply of maps and mods. Do you have a video and modlist or location?

Was while playing liberation on altis.

Using RHS, CUP, Blastcore and C2. 

Nothing directly affecting AI other than LAMBS Danger, Turrets, RPG and Suppression. 

It's like after combat they'd stay in combat for ages. I'd have to use C2 to disable their auto combat or change them back to aware or careless...this was including HC squads as well. But with the Squad AI, you'd tell them to go Aware and they'd go back to Combat mode. Sometimes the guy that had been supressing would just stay in that position. 

I don't know if it's possible, but maybe you could have the AI in your squad be more compliant/ kill danger mode when told to regroup. I will try and get a video of it today for you 😁

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Unleashthepain said:

It's like after combat they'd stay in combat for ages.

I've also noticed something weird about the Ai's knowsAbout values and its degradation.

After a firefight I was left for dead on a captive state. The Ai left and went back to its bis patrol location around 800 meters from my location. I was inside a building and they went to a nearby field.

It was all good except that the enemy's knows about player stayed at 4 for what it seems longer than regular Arma 3. For about 4 minutes versus 120 seconds for regular Arma.

Also, when the enemy's knowsAbout was finally going down it did so extremely slow; IE from 3.9 to 3.7 y 5 minutes. It is usually way faster on my regular Arma.

This command was used for testing: east knowsabout player;

Could that be possible @nkenny?

PS: Even thou the east knows about was super high the particular group near me seemed not to notice me until around 800 mtrs.

@TesACC
That is unfortunately not possible. I will however be releasing some AI scripts as standalone. 

@LSValmont
Hmm. Aside from propagating knowsAbout messages between groups, I do not modify it. I guess it is conceivable that the knowsAbout message would bounce back and forth for a cycle or two. But only if there are multiple groups present. I'm not sure what you mean by 'captive state'. 

@Jester504

Wow. That's a great idea. 

-k 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 9:38 PM, nkenny said:

LAMBS Danger.fsm

Changelog

Changes

---

Steam Workshop

---

Hi, I am looking to disable LAMBs for the AI in my squad. It is interfering  too much with movement commands, etc.  

I know how to do it in the Editor for my own missions but how would I do this for missions which I am downloading from Steam?

5 hours ago, rainbow47 said:

Hi, I am looking to disable LAMBs for the AI in my squad. It is interfering  too much with movement commands, etc.  

I know how to do it in the Editor for my own missions but how would I do this for missions which I am downloading from Steam?

Run this from the console:

{

_x setVariable ["dangerAIEnabled",false];

} forEach units (group player);

• Thanks 1