nkenny

LAMBS Improved Danger.fsm

@Dallas Medina 
It depends on the circumstances. The meeting with combat may make the AI drop prone or seek cover.  They should return to their waypoints however. 

-k 

edit: Correct video link for TaskCQB and taskGarrison scripts. 

~ Demonstrates how the new waypoint system works and the TaskCQB and TaskGarrison scripts (which will be released standalone) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I love how you single-handedly improved the AI's behaviour a HUGE deal and people don't even seem to notice yet. Hope this changes because your work is sick, dude, love it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Hello,

thank you for this work that we are currently testing on dedicated server.

is there a way to exclude some unit or at least one side ?

@MrStregatto

Thats a fantastic suggestion. Hadn't thought about it.  Currently it is not possible. 

@Pierrive

Not unless you recompile the mod for your own use. 🙂

-k 

• Like 1

Couple more questions after I've watched the vids, @nkenny, right now, the garrison WP has my interest.

These waypoints.. can I create them in script as well as in the editor?

If Yes to above, I need to check if the addon is loaded, but the activatedaddons command isn't returning anything called LAMBS or similar.

1 hour ago, Tankbuster said:

I need to check if the addon is loaded, but the activatedaddons command isn't returning anything called LAMBS or similar.

Not seeing anything relating to LAMBS in activatedAddons either.

Would these be of any use?

isClass(configFile >> "CfgPatches" >> "lambs_wp")

isClass(configFile >> "CfgPatches" >> "lambs_danger")

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Maff said:

Not seeing anything relating to LAMBS in activatedAddons either.

Would these be of any use?

isClass(configFile >> "CfgPatches" >> "lambs_wp")

isClass(configFile >> "CfgPatches" >> "lambs_danger")

Yes, that works. Thank you. 🙂

@Tankbuster

Unless I have gravely misunderstood something, that isn't possible at the current time.  I would be very happy for any directions to set it up.  I plan to release these scripts as standalone. None of them require any mods. It is however possible to call the scripts yourself, with one point of awkwardness-- to tweak the default zone you will need to also attach a waypoint with the completion radius you prefer. 

The scripts all follow the same pattern: 

Arguments

- Unit   [Group or Object]

- Position [Array]

Functions
- lambs_dangerWP_fnc_taskAttack,  creates three Seek and Destroy waypoints with orders to search buildings (Default range is 25m)
- lambs_dangerWP_fnc_taskCQB, searches all building positions within a range (default is 50m) 
- lambs_dangerWP_fnc_taskCreep, cautiously stalks any player unit within AoE (Default is 500m) 
- lambs_dangerWP_fnc_taskGarrison, Garrisons building and mans static weapons.  (Default is 50m) 
- lambs_dangerWP_fnc_taskHunt,  Hunts in a patrol like fashion player units within AoE (Default is 500m) 
- lambs_dangerWP_fnc_taskPatrol, Creates a random patrol within range (Default is 200m) 
- lambs_dangerWP_fnc_taskRush, Madly rushes towards any playable units with AoE (Default is 500m) 

Example:
[Officer1,getpos Officer1] call lambs_dangerWP_fnc_taskGarrison
[group rushers,getpos player] spawn lambs_dangerWP_fnc_taskRush; 

NB: The Rush, Creep, Hunt and CQB functions require that you spawn rather than call. 

Cheers. 
-k 

---

edit: A video I made demonstrating some of the waypoints in use: Creep, Hunt and Rush 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I used to mix a couple of scripts, Haroon1992's and (iirc) Zorilla's.. Maybe another 'or two'.

AHP (very good script) & Garrison script with CQC and other functions (also good). Had a very similar result to the house search type thing you have shown. Although most any garrison script and something like a house search or even zeus_glx or gl4 (mixed with some others) will result in something along those lines. Triggers for behaviour or scripts etc help with stance and contact mode.

The only problem arises, when you want 'enemy ai' that reacts (which is a must have for me). Then it sort of blows away these scenarios i.e. the ai won't wait quietly inside to get shot.. They tend to be more aware and watch out for danger, plus respond much earlier, through windows doorways etc.

Were the zorilla scripts yours @nkenny ?

I always like these types of scripts, ai in buildings has always been something in my arma gaming, any open building has, or can have, ai use it. So anything that can improve or help with that is always appreciated. 🙂

Good luck with it.

Love these AI improvements. 

I wonder if I can trigger any of those scripts (eg. clear buildings) ingame for the friendly AI in my squad? For example to give them order to clear all houses in a certain radius. 

Thanks, @nkenny, I'll definitely be using the script versions. 

When I talk about script created waypoints, I was asking specifically about those that your FSMs use. I didn't make my question clear.

Since adding the RPG addon I'm seeing a lot of this in the server RPT

22:05:20 Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgWeapons/launch_RPG32_F/Single.displayName'.
22:05:20 Warning Message: '/' is not a value
22:05:20 Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgWeapons/launch_RPG32_F/Single.textureType'.
22:05:20 Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgWeapons/launch_RPG32_F/Single.multiplier'.
22:05:20 Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgWeapons/launch_RPG32_F/Single.burst'.
22:05:20 Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgWeapons/launch_RPG32_F/Single.reloadTime'.
22:05:20 Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgWeapons/launch_RPG32_F/Single.dispersion'.
22:05:20 Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgWeapons/launch_RPG32_F/Single.recoilProne'.
22:05:20 Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgWeapons/launch_RPG32_F/Single.autoFire'.
22:05:20 Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgWeapons/launch_RPG32_F/Single.soundContinuous'.
22:05:20 Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgWeapons/launch_RPG32_F/Single.soundBurst'.
22:05:20 Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgWeapons/launch_RPG32_F/Single.useAction'.
22:05:20 Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgWeapons/launch_RPG32_F/Single.useActionTitle'.
22:05:20 Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgWeapons/launch_RPG32_F/Single.showToPlayer'.
22:05:20 Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgWeapons/launch_RPG32_F/Single.artilleryDispersion'.
22:05:20 Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgWeapons/launch_RPG32_F/Single.artilleryCharge'.

I added Danger, Turrets and RPG to -servermod... should it be something else?

@Explodie

Thank you for the report. I will look into it. You should require no mods. 

@chrisb
Not familiar with the zorllia scripts, I'm afraid. Essentially I agree. Best garrison scripts balance having enemies stand still (to be shot) and having them creating dynamic situations. 

@rainbow47

Unfortunately that is currently outside the scope of the mod. 

--- 
Current status
A the moment I am about 70% done with the rewrite of the FSM. First step is to reincorporate all existing features and expanding and improving them, as well as increasing ease of maintenance. The next version already features increased responsiveness in CQB, refined panic and reaction functions, and a greatly improved suppression module. New features are focused along two lines; (1) improvements to armoured vehicles (evading enemy fire and increased aggression) and (2) the basis of an AI leader decision maker. 

The second feature could do with some explanation. When the squad enters combat, each soldier works as a sensor. Certain impulses are added to the groups pool of information.. From this the group leader will periodically make assessments and set forth group wide responses. This adds extra incentive to target leaders early and adds depth to infantry tactics and adds predictable stages to AI decision making.  

These responses will never override existing waypoints, nor change core AI settings. Examples are things such as: Calling artillery, checking nearby buildings,  or hiding in the presence of tanks or helicopters.  The exact nature and conditions which will trigger these responses are currently under development. 

Future 
Cautiously, I will propose that the next version should be ready by Wednesday. This is of course subject to the whims of real life and arma.  The release plan looks something like this: 

1. New version - Release rewritten FSMs
2. Release WP scripts standalone 
3. Mid version - Refine and fix bugs of new FSMs
4. Move to CBA, with all benefits added, and move to an ACE3 code standard*
5. Release legacy version without CBA requirement

-k 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

That sounds great. With this sensor'ed reactions -will you include a debug so we can see what they're thinking? Also any plans on Infantry reactions to Tanks or really any vehicle they are faced with when they have no counter to offer. For instance AI squads when faced with enemy armor out in the open (in Vanilla Arma) tend to just take a knee and aim at the tank with their rifles which is kinda silly

@froggyluv
Yes! Actually that behaviour is already part of the current  Danger.fsm. The same when facing dangerous air assets. The next iteration will move it from an individual to a group concern. 

-k 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@nkenny we have been waiting 7 years for what you are doing right now! Finally.

This community is simply the best!

Please keep performance in mind and do something about those medics not healing nearby wounded (same side) friendlies and also the unrealistic civilians that show no fear near a firefight.

You are a godsend! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2019 at 2:31 PM, nkenny said:

rainbow47
The mod only affects AI whom are currently in combat mode. Any changes to Stealth mode are added only because the behaviours are so related. 

my apologies, but I don’t really understand the answer. Are my AI squad members in stealth mode affected by the mod or not?

Thanks for this! Looks great. If you're able to allow the new waypoints to be given in Zeus, that'd be helpful - I do a lot of play in there and the AI really needs a kick in the ass to get rushing sometimes when they're using regular waypoint behaviour.

@rainbow47
Yes.  However one must note that Combat mode is not identical with being in a "danger state".  Hence your unit may be in Stealth-mode and at a "danger state" at the same time. The danger.fsm triggers on any dangerous impetuous, such as bullets, explosions or simply spotting enemies.  It does not run when the unit is set to Combat (sometimes called Danger)-mode. 

@beagle23
I will look into it at a later stage of development. I agree. It would be super useful.  For now, if your Zeus interface has some sort of execution line interface (most do!)-- then it is possible to run the scripts directly as demonstrated above. :) 

Kind regards, 

Ken 

52 minutes ago, nkenny said:

rainbow47
Yes.  However one must note that Combat mode is not identical with being in a "danger state".  Hence your unit may be in Stealth-mode and at a "danger state" at the same time. The danger.fsm triggers on any dangerous impetuous, such as bullets, explosions or simply spotting enemies.  It does not run when the unit is set to Combat (sometimes called Danger)-mode. 

Now I got it. I always thought that Combat Mode triggers the action of the mod. Thank you very much for clarification. Love your mod! 

On 9/22/2019 at 5:55 PM, nkenny said:

@froggyluv
Yes! Actually that behaviour is already part of the current  Danger.fsm. The same when facing dangerous air assets. The next iteration will move it from an individual to a group concern. 

-k 

Wasnt able to notice any new behaviours when infantry squad (with no AT weapons) were confronted with tanks. basically, just have a tank roll up slowly on a Sentry team with a Guard waypoint -they still seem to just lay down in the road and fire at it with their rifles and grenades leading to an instant death sentence for them. This is in urban environment -best bet would be to just have them sprint indoors no?