kebman

How do I turn on Darter laser with script?

I've tried multiple things in the init field of the drone, but none seems to work.

Here are the things I've tried:

uav1 fireAtTarget [target1, weaponMuzzleName] // does nothing

uav1 doTarget target1 // does not fire laser marker

uav1 commandFire target1; // does nothing

uav1 fire "Laserdesignator"; // does nothing

uav1 selectWeapon "Laserdesignator"; // does nothing
uav1 forceWeaponFire ["Laserdesignator","Laserdesignator"]; // does not fire laser marker either, with or without the previous line

uav1 fireAtTarget [target1, "Laserdesignator"]; // this one gives an error... 😛

Ready to give up lol! 

Nevermind, I found it! 🙂

ANSWER 

Here is what turns on the laser on the Darter:

bool = uav1 fireAtTarget [target1, "Laserdesignator_mounted"];

Also how do you change the UAV feed to FLIR by script?

3 hours ago, kebman said:

Also how do you change the UAV feed to FLIR by script?

Have you tried setCamUseTI?

Yes I have. It's tied to creating a completely new camera entity, outside the UAV. I really want to control the actual UAV, and simply toggle its NVG or TI directly. 

Thus:

true setCamUseTI 1; // does nothing
uav1 setPiPEffect [2]; // error
uav1 setCamUseTI 7; // does nothing
true setCamUseTI 7; // does nothing

Here's my wish for the future: That Bohemia makes simple API's for all in-game equipment, vehicles and entities. Take MineCraft mods, for instance; most of them are ten times simpler to program and control due to easily understood entity API's. In comparison, it's really hard to search through BI documentation, and you really need a pretty deep understanding of how they structure their scripting language and mods. I hope they fix that in Arma 4. A big step forward would be to implement something like Lua scripting as default, which is bog simple, together with clearer API's. I think such a thing would expand the community a lot. Anyway, sorry for the rant lol!

7 minutes ago, kebman said:

I really want to control the actual UAV, and simply toggle its NVG or TI directly.

Are you not controlling the UAV already?

Pressing N by default should cycle through the vision modes.

Why exactly do you need a scripting solution?

For one, I want a scripting solution because the manual solution requires #1: Scroll Menu > #2 Open UAV Terminal > #3 Select AV > #4 Control Gunner > #5 press N. The first option takes up to five or more actions. The scripting would bring it down to zero actions (and thus zero cursing). So I want to set the UAV to thermals on mission startup without fiddling in menus, thus saving a ton of time. 

Second, it would be great for setting up HUD-streams without mucking about in menus, though preferably without having to hack a completely new camera entity, when there's already a stream coming directly from the UAV that the player is already controlling. The reason for that is that when you do need to control the UAV gunner directly, you'll still have to manually hit N to get the needed TI effect. Being able to set TI directly on the UAV through scripting would save that action. (And in turn that would save the environment!11 of cursing...)

Save the environment! Make it possible to switch on UAV thermals through scripting! So we can make Altis great again!!!11

OK. Interesting.

I took another stab at it but no joy I'm afraid.

My only solution I can think of is to fake it by creating a "UAV camera".

There is BIS_fnc_establishingShot.

Take a look under the hood of the function to get some inspiration.

Good luck.