Sign in to follow this  

Getting AI Group Units To Face Specific Directions In CQB

Hello :)

I've had numerous issues in bases and towns where I could not get my AI units in my group to remain facing a direction - which is very important stuff when needing covering positions set. I have tried the 'watch' direction command, which seems to only work half the time and further more provides a somewhat confusing system in a CQB environment, and it seems eventually they just end up facing the group leader direction anyhow.

Have the developers ever considered the following :

When controlling an AI unit in a group, able to tell him to cover current direction - then one can switch out to another unit with that unit left facing the direction set upon player switching out -

When issuing orders to AI group units, be allowed to set them to face (cover) the players current direction.

DoStop command would likely just be combined automatically with the cover order, so they cannot return to formation without being commanded.

Maybe a 'cancel cover' command to allow them to return to facing the group leader direction (formation direction) - but leaving in the doStop, where a Return To Formation command would cancel both any 'Cover' and DoStop states.

Anyhow, it's been over a year since I've played, but this has been an issue I personally have struggled with. I recall a number of times just trying to park an AI unit near a building corner with him facing down a small street and he simply would not face that direction, which numerous times led to losing a number of my guys, and the whole battle sometimes.

Thanks for reading

As far as SP is concerned, maybe try THIS.  Yes it's abandoned and full of quirks and bugs, but it does some of the most important things for commanding in SP IMO.

But also keep in mind once shooting starts AI generally face the direction of the highest priority known contact, even if that's counterproductive under player command when operate within a team. Sometimes you wish even AI just don't have that information. Also as you know AI just don't behave remotely human in close combat scenarios in ARMA, there's a reason why official missions always ask you to clear rooms, alone...

On 9/5/2019 at 2:57 PM, chrisb said:

I made this video, is this the type of thing you mean ?

Just playable units, I like playing small ops in sp like this, have done for many years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q-Om59X8gY

Hey 🙂

Nice video m8 🙂

To a degree - but locking down a facing/cover direction on your team member still seems questionable even there. Like.. you want your dude to face down an alley entrance while you move past and check things out further down a main street - theres a good chance as it goes with arma 3 - that that guy may not remain facing down that alley, but facing your current direction, and hence while you are out checking down the main road, your bud gets killed because he is no longer looking down the alley way when an enemy shows up down there.

On 9/5/2019 at 3:43 PM, mmm said:

As far as SP is concerned, maybe try THIS.  Yes it's abandoned and full of quirks and bugs, but it does some of the most important things for commanding in SP IMO.

But also keep in mind once shooting starts AI generally face the direction of the highest priority known contact, even if that's counterproductive under player command when operate within a team. Sometimes you wish even AI just don't have that information. Also as you know AI just don't behave remotely human in close combat scenarios in ARMA, there's a reason why official missions always ask you to clear rooms, alone...

Thanks 🙂

I read some things over, watched the videos - yea, it looks cool but also looks like indeed directional facing of the particular group units still has some issues. I will take a look at this system some more over the weekend.

The options I listed initially, seem a bit 'basic', and limited, but at least could give complete control to group units in their positions and directional facings in downtown areas where the enemy could show up from any direction.

I can't help but reflect on the original Ghost Recon game, where you could set squad members positions and also set their covering directions, which helped alot with unknowns showing up from a variety of directions, in particular in town/urban areas.

I really don't think this kind of thing would be that hard to implement, as it just provides a greater level of control over the Ai in certain situations.

Just thought about it a bit more - One thing that could be added to the hold position/cover direction command could be the added ability for those units to quickly do a 'visual' check on the known threats in the group, which would be the equivalent of like a 1 second glance to see if the threat can be seen and fired upon, if not, return to facing current set cover direction. A one second check would really not compromise the various units role in covering a specific direction, imo. I suppose this would be only an initial check once a new enemy is discovered within the group, and then abandon further visual checks on that particular enemy. This quick visual check would help in more open terrain type situations in particular, along with allowing group units in urban/town areas also to potentially fire on a enemy known by their group which in rare cases may be viewable by them. In open terrain situations, where cover directions are set, as stated in the main post, one could just reset them normal facing direction (either facing group leader direction or facing the current highest threat) in the event things may have changed in the combat situation as well.

Just thoughts anyhow.

Thanks again

Agree 100%. Sadly this most basic of tactics- that of first and superior orientation, seems lost on these titles favoring the artificial 'full body while scoped rotations' when it was never necessary. Of course, locking body into primary threat orientation with frequent head (LOS) checks makes the most sense and SHOULD be easy...but that interest seems to have been lost some time ago in favor of things like aliens and MP.

Yes - and it is kind of too bad, because both single player and Coop missions should Imo be more entertaining in certain ways than Pvp, as it is an avenue most games provide to be able to have some fun in game after a days work without feeling like you are working again (which Pvp can feel like) - while having still good content to play with, and options.

And I agree, its really basic stuff, set some of your guys in your squad to positions to cover specific directions, but this thread isn't jumping off the rails, and the company will likely not even bother to look at this thread or consider such without at least some significant outcry from the player base (or else they would have done it by now I suppose), so - Ah well lol.

/Edit

Probably should mention I can't stand dealing with detailed AI stuff, and only post when an issue comes up that at least for me, affects my gameplay. I'd much rather just try to enjoy making content and not be bothered with all of this AI issues content in threads.. Last thing I'd ever want to do for work is doing investigative work within the realm of AI content in a shooter. I'd much rather make quality content within the confines of a game editors solid content than deal with endless details, so that's it from me.

Cheers 🙂