Sign in to follow this  
aLoneWolf

Wrpdouble

Great job! One simple question:

Will you describe the method?

Excellent work aLoneWolf, I knew we could count on your abilities!

This is much appreciated and long waited breakthrough in OFP. Thank you very much.

Snake Man, PMC.

What do you folks see as the major advantages in having bigger islands than we have now?

Is it simply more is better?

Are they better for certain types of missions? Air battles, perhaps?

I'm just thinking of how many island addons are already out there and they're barely used. Ia Trang is an obvious exception.

Thats because Ia Trang is a finished island, and its looks complete enough for ppl to invest time in making missions for it. All the other islands aer not complete, small, featurless, and have nothing different to offer. And the mountians and hills in most of them are blocks and giant pokes tounge.gif

I think if we have bigger island sizes, this will make us build 2 big islands into one map, and here is where Battle Field 1985 mp mission can last for up to 6 hours of continous play biggrin.gif

cheers

I would have thought the larger island would have suited larger engagements just great, maybe CTI/RTS type maps for example, game times would be increased though i expect.

From trying it, i like, i didnt realise just how large distances were, i placed a unit on one hill and myself on another not realising i was aprox 5km away :o

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Edge @ Jan. 09 2003,09:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Will you describe the method?<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, planning to release some info - later - if necessary...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Jan. 09 2003,10:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is it simply more is better?<span id='postcolor'>

Of course, not...

But:

- do you think, all testing/research have to be halted, because all good was already done ?

- it's really only simple (almost no 3D-objects) experiment - mainly for people, who want to try longer flying/driving - nobody is forced to use it...

Very cool!!!

i´m make download, excelente work! smile.gif

hmm imagine all the 4 official (malden / everon / nogova / kolgujev) on one map tounge.gif whoohoo every side a entire island.. damn that would lagg.. biggrin.gif

i really like fw200's idea, that would be soo cool. Even having like Everon with a Malden next to it connected by a couple bridges would be awesome. How badly would this lag though?

This is a very neat map. I would be more interested in seeing an experiment in doubling the resolution of a regular map. I remember at one point there were screenshots of this, and an explanation of how this could be done. Anyone remember where this was?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is it simply more is better?<span id='postcolor'>

You as a lady should now, size DOES matter biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (aLoneWolf @ Jan. 09 2003,17:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes, planning to release some info - later - if necessary...<span id='postcolor'>

Please do. I'm just hoping we won't be having to go through an extensive amount of hex editing or some such to do this. Since WRPEDIT can't create these sizes from scratch I doubt it can handle one by just opening it but has anyone given it a try? I can't now, at work.

Placing the 4 islands together would be a major undertaking I believe without some sort of copy and paste program for wrp data. The intergration of the elevation data alone would require at least a small program to be written or alot of time on someones hands.

Edit - Should be WRPQuad instead of WRPDouble biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (m16a2m203 @ Jan. 09 2003,17:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Should be WRPQuad instead of WRPDouble  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, but ... wink.gif

WRPquad is already reserved for 51.2*51.2 km stuff...

And WRPoct is pre-reserved...

smile.gif

Guest ####

Having 4 times the possible land area is awesome. I hope you release the info on this the island I have on beta Olafsland takes up almost the whole 12.8x12.8 area. Having this would mean i can in future release an improved version with some smaller islands surrounding the main one to hide my evil communist invaders (oh they are evil smoke crack and eat babies type communists).

Also some user made aircraft are too fast for the origional maps, the F14 can clear nogova in no time flat. Also some maps could be made properly such as the Falklands and Grenada.

Guest ####

It won't open in wrp edit. I think it was done in a hex editor somehow and the files merged after. For example map one uses values of 0-12800 both lat and long. Map 2 is a separate map but the values are replaced by adding 12800 to either the lat or the longitude depending on weather you are adding the second map either above the first or beside, the third map is similar and the forth map has 12800 added to both lat and long to place it in the opposite corner. I'm not sure how it would be merged back into game and such. The values wouls always have to be multiples of 2 for both Lat and Long or else the map would not work. Am I close? or am I a crack baby?

####

Edit - I meant the following would be applied to merge 4 areas together.

Well just from a coordinate/elevation standpoint that would make them correct but the problem we have now is that the data would have to be sorted to be read from -----> and then ^ covering all 4 files and not them individually. Reminds me of shuffling a deck of cards... this doesn't even take into account flags, objects, etc.

That's why I think copy/paste would be great in this area. Ahhh well, maybe I'll have a Visitor one day who'll take away all my worries.

Edit - I think he did it with just one set of data. Would have been a hell of alot easier and easily downloaded from the net or created with Wilbur/Terragen etc.

A-lone-wolf, I'd ike to repeat Ebud's question on map resolution. Have you found a way to change the grid from the default 50m to some other unit such as 30m or 90m so that direct DEM importation would be easier as well as improve terrain placement with smaller grids?

Wouah !!!

Great job aLoneWolf I can't say anything other !!!

But for make this island you haven't use any wrpediting-tool... but do you make a tool for us (so for for people who would like to make islands of this size).

Vladimir

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ebud @ Jan. 09 2003,17:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is a very neat map. I would be more interested in seeing an experiment in doubling the resolution of a regular map. I remember at one point there were screenshots of this, and an explanation of how this could be done. Anyone remember where this was?<span id='postcolor'>

There is an example of this out there.....

I think they called it Nogova. Don't remember where I got it though... biggrin.gif

Question to aLoneWolf:

Did you make the map by hand, or did you convert it from a DEM (digital elevation model). It you made it by using a DEM - where in the world is this terrain located?

Another question:

How difficult would it be to make the ground texture a runway 2-3 places on the map? Would this slow down the map significantly?

3rd question:

Are you working on a 51.2 * 51.2 km map? If you do - when do you expect to release it?

Guest ####

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mads bahrt @ Jan. 09 2003,21:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ebud @ Jan. 09 2003,17:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is a very neat map. I would be more interested in seeing an experiment in doubling the resolution of a regular map. I remember at one point there were screenshots of this, and an explanation of how this could be done. Anyone remember where this was?<span id='postcolor'>

I think they called it Nogova. Don't remember where I got it though...  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Sorry but Nogova is much smaller than Lone wolfs map. Nogova is bigger than the previous maps in terms of land mass but it still conforms to the 12.8x12.8 km Standard. The map I made is bigger than Nogova in terms of land mass and occupies almost the full 12.8x12.8 area.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (#### @ Jan. 09 2003,21:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif5--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mads bahrt @ Jan. 09 2003,21wow.gif5)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ebud @ Jan. 09 2003,17:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is a very neat map. I would be more interested in seeing an experiment in doubling the resolution of a regular map. I remember at one point there were screenshots of this, and an explanation of how this could be done. Anyone remember where this was?<span id='postcolor'>

I think they called it Nogova. Don't remember where I got it though... biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Sorry but Nogova is much smaller than Lone wolfs map. Nogova is bigger than the previous maps in terms of land mass but it still conforms to the 12.8x12.8 km Standard. The map I made is bigger than Nogova in terms of land mass and occupies almost the full 12.8x12.8 area.<span id='postcolor'>

What Ebud asked about was a double resolution map of normal size - Nogova is double resolution as you say yourself. Please read the whole post (including the one I answer) before posting.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (m16a2m203 @ Jan. 09 2003,20:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1.

Ahhh well, maybe I'll have a Visitor one day who'll take away all my worries.

Have you found a way to change the grid from the default 50m to some other unit such as 30m or 90m so that direct DEM importation would be easier as well as improve terrain placement with smaller grids?<span id='postcolor'>

Ad 1)

I hope BIStudio is going to release their "Visitor" soon, because I prefer to use tools made be developers, who know all the internal things   smile.gif

But at this moment we have to use some "self-made" stuff  smile.gif

Ad 2)

Hmm, 90m resolution is not very good...

Did you tested "landGrid" ?

Some old pictures with smaller "landGrid":

w256g5.jpg

w256_125.jpg

Nice job man! Keep up the good work we need some good island inprovements smile.gif