Legacy CH-46 Sea Knight release

Based on an arma 2 model by sfc.itzhak and Snake Man we present the Legacy CH-46 Sea Knight. This is a development release, meaning that it is not polished and has many bugs. We want to share early on and release fast. At this stage we would like to ask you to stay away from bug reports and feature requests. Both will be tackled when the time has come.

In testing the CH-46 we found that the helicopter provides some fun to fly, especially with ACE and their fast roping system, which we support initially. We hope by releasing that early you can share some of this fun. Do not let yourself down by looking at all the dysfunctional areas.

The Legacy CH-46 Sea Knight team is:

• Odyseus
  • Londo
  • shadowviper
  • TeTeT

Thanks for consulting and helping from the start to Eggbeast and Chairborne.

If you want to support us, feel free to use my donation link on armaholic, I will share any donations with the team (really ;).

Downloads
    Steam Workshop:  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1843698134
    Armaholic: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=35434

Enjoy,
TeTeT

Edited by TeTeT
Add armaholic link
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 3

Just created a short video for the release:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

I flew it in AFM and this is amazing, he wants to forgive his imperfection at the moment because he is surprisingly pleasantly flying, there are problems with take-off and landing, which the developers probably know about, but the flight itself is magnificent. Its weight is felt, it feels like a real physical object is flying. I wish the developers success, finally a sea knight in arma 3.

I hope this projectwill develop and everyone will like it, but even now it pleasantly surprised

nice to see that ole bird make a comeback.....  i still have the Project RACS version if you want it... has M240H door guns

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coercer said:

I flew it in AFM and this is amazing, he wants to forgive his imperfection at the moment because he is surprisingly pleasantly flying, there are problems with take-off and landing, which the developers probably know about, but the flight itself is magnificent. Its weight is felt, it feels like a real physical object is flying. I wish the developers success, finally a sea knight in arma 3.

I hope this projectwill develop and everyone will like it, but even now it pleasantly surprised

Thanks, but the AFM kudos goes to the BI developers and the Huron, we merely hi-jacked that AFM xml file for now. The reason why it doesn't work well in take off and landing situations are most likely differences between the CH-46 and Huron setups.

1 hour ago, wld427 said:

nice to see that ole bird make a comeback.....  i still have the Project RACS version if you want it... has M240H door guns

Hey @wld427 , that would be grand. We plan to have an armed version with the CH-46E. Your M240 guns would come in very handy.

Cheers,

TeTeT

Right now we're focusing on two areas: UV map for texturing and the AFM. Both made some progress today. For the new UV map to have an impact we will need to create some textures as well... The AFM is much better already (e.g. no more front wheel under ground and random explosions - at least I believe so 🙂 ) , but it's still based on the values of the Huron mostly.

With the machine guns from @wld427 we have made a good step forward to see an armed CH-46E eventually. But this is really future talk, I don't expect the CH-46E to be around before autumn.

• Like 1

I noticed the ML tail code is backwards on one side, probably because it's just a mirror of the opposite side. Is that one of the fixes for the future (I know this is only an early/developmental release)?  Looks pretty awesome though.  Even though the 46 is officially retired, it has been severely missed in the Armaverse for the USMC faction

Hello,

to anyone knowledgable with the AFM: The Phrog now drifts to the left when using AFM. I changed the Huron based AFM xml in regards to power and coordinates, and now the helicopter drifts constantly left and basically makes a wide circle without control input. I put the XML up here: https://tetet.de/arma/arma3/stuff/RTD_CH46D.xml

Really looking for some recommendation to debug this problem further and eventually fix it.

And then I create a mission based on @woofer808 indicam and the scripting ability he showed me. If you enjoy watching an air assault on Malden with the CH-46 and RHS troopers, the mission is at https://tetet.de/arma/arma3/CH-46/missions/airAssault.Malden.7z

I've also put a video up, showing angles of the assault made from 3 plays:

Cheers,

TeTeT

• Like 3

TeTeT,Did you add the torque values to both engines?

Also,Did you add the rotorlib values from the huron's cfg?That would help.Not that itwould be to blame for the sudden bug.One other thing, i didnt see this in your config -

tailBladeCenter="rotor_02_center";
        tailBladeVertical=0;

On 8/31/2019 at 2:01 PM, ANZACSAS Steven said:

TeTeT,Did you add the torque values to both engines?

Also,Did you add the rotorlib values from the huron's cfg?That would help.Not that itwould be to blame for the sudden bug.One other thing, i didnt see this in your config -

tailBladeCenter="rotor_02_center";
        tailBladeVertical=0;

Nope, have done neither of these, good ideas. I will test it out later.

Meantime londo has finished the first part of the re-making of the uvmap and parts of the model. A first work in progress video shows some results:

Cheers,

TeTeT

• Like 4

Good news, seems 

tailBladeVertical=0;

fixed the drift left issue. Thanks @ANZACSAS Steven for the suggestion to look more closely into the Huron config!

• Like 2

Unfortunately my test this afternoon was not correct. What seems to have helped is now changed the center of gravity and the blades position:

<CenterOfGravity x="0.0" y="-1.75" z="-2.16"/>
Fwd Rotor: <Position x="0.0" y="2.5" z="4" /> 
Rwd Rotor: <Position x="0.0" y="-4.5" z="6" /> 

Next problem is that auto hover keeps the helo at a forward speed of ~10 km/h. Oh well, another riddle 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks to @LordJarhead we now have a compat mod for JSRS available at https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1852962036

Thanks to @foxhound we have an Armaholic mirror as well: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=35462

Enjoy,

TeTeT

Edited by TeTeT
add armaholic mirror
  • Like 3

londo has created some basic textures for the new uv mapping he created. First results are:

D9B3F5840BC9FA9C5693C68A56954E77EAF083E8

8212B3DEA8B8BB34764E12764F4E38C37EC74598

E15E7B4C34FAE72CAA2B22A5307282449900D62C

D1144550CF9A1192941B3073D94258BAB5333927

E40922869EEA68818AEE7F6895065B4297EC1D92

174D2A7223BD46CC8C841BAA7DD277C8B8234DDA

In the latest build for our internal testing the AFM has been further improved, Zeus compatibility is added. We look forward to an update to the developer release soonish.

Cheers,

TeTeT

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

yes, @fingolfin there is a chance that this will land for the CH-46E. But no promises right now, it's far down the development pipeline.

We now have the new uv map in place, with the preliminary skin from londo. The AFM has been optimized further, but is still not perfect. The default configuration for the CH-46D is now cargo ramp level and upper side window stowed, as this was used most often for regular flights. We got some rescue basket from Flanders and work on integrate this as well, though the winch still needs to be adjusted to reflect a CH-46 winch.

Work is progressing, though not as rapid as in the past weeks. We might push out another developer update soonish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

An update has just landed. Model and textures overhauled greatly by londo. Zeus support should be working, Lesh's towing as well and a eden attribute for starting with folded rotors, as well as eden attributes to set the helicopter number, AFM was enhanced as well. Still way to go before calling this final, but meantime Enjoy.

Mirrors:
SW: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1843698134

Armaholic: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=35434

Edited by TeTeT
armaholic mirror updated
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Video for the update:

Mods used are Legacy CH-46, RKSL Studios Airfield Support Tug, Lesh's towing and CBA_A3.

• Like 4

Work in progress video by londo: 

You can see we're and especially londo is very  busy updating the Phrog further. 

• Like 6

Two more screenshots, showing the work on the cockpit by @londo19 :

A8C0D9311CE06948FCF84EB53E3076869DE6D6AE

AEE7DB96CC970944946F7A57B0BCA31BF278A4FD