dragonsyr

steam arma 3 launcher problem

whenever i open arma 3  launcher from steam and click on mods , it says "please exit arma 3 to manage your mods "

the game is not running for sure.......

the only thing i can do from mods tab is to load new installed mods. (it ask automaticaly if want to load the new mod) if you press yes on the popup question , then you cant unselect any of the  loaded mods that you may have. all tab main frame is dark grey and says  "please exit arma 3 to manage your mods "

how can i unload the mods that dont want to run?

Thanks

and why no one from Bohemia answer something for the problem.

while searching I discovered that I am not alone in this problem.....

1 hour ago, dragonsyr said:

and why no one from Bohemia answer something for the problem.

while searching I discovered that I am not alone in this problem.....

Sorry i don't understand what the problem is? You can use the dialog boxes to select which mods you want. You can even create profiles to run certain mods as a modset.

no, i cant select anything from mods tab. is grey and say that the game is running........

The game NOT RUNNING

Maybe some screenshots and step by step details of what your doing and seeing that is creating

an issue would help us determine what your dealing with.

So you say the game is not running, how are you verifying that?

i m verifying that first because i start the machine at that moment , start steam and then arma lancher and second , i know what my pc doing every time.My job is IT manager.

My suggestion is to use the Arma3 launcher only to check for any mod updates for mods that you had subscribed to on steam workshop,

then use another launcher to manage your mods and start the game, this is what i do using a launcher called Armasync which imo

more compact, cleaner looking, and easy to use for what i use it for, never had an issue.

Arma3 Launchers

There are other launchers for the game, i compiled them all that deal

with launching the game and managing your mods, take your pick:

======================================================

=======================================================

5 hours ago, dragonsyr said:

My job is IT manager. 

Then as an IT Manager imo you should have a protocol that you follow like in your job by listing steps and details of those steps including any

screenshots and or video if needed in a format that can be easily read, and understand, using proper English writing format and word order

listed in such a way that anyone on this forum whos been here a while can tell you what your issue is and tell you how to fix it.

The following questions would be questions that you should be asking yourself about the situation, each question should bring an insight, or shed

light onto the issue, yes the issue is minor and small but apparently your not able to solve it atm so you need to dig a bit deeper or your not going to be playing anything.

Questions

• There are other aspects also related to this such as what mods do you have installed?
  • Did you install one recently?
  • Did you create a mod recently and then the launcher started doing what its doing?
  • Are you not letting steam and or the launcher fully initialize and start before you start doing something?
  • Was there any updates on your computer prior to this?
  • Are you meeting the requirements of the launcher? -----> This page would tell you https://arma3.com/launcher/troubleshooting
  • When did the launcher start doing what its doing before you did something or after?
  • Has the launcher always done this before or after mod installation or not at all?

You have to get involved and like a IT man a computer scientist jump in with your boots on and provide as much details

as possible if you plan to ask .... the community for their help.

Start with research asking those questions if not more to yourself about the situation, even google the error or message you get

and see if someone else has dealt with it and has solved it. Hope that helps, Cheers!

• Like 1

thanks for the answer .

i have already another arma lancher to play with.(im using it from the beggining of ARMA)

All questions you listed above are answered by myself , i search on the net and i found that others have the same problem with no solution , thats why ask here the question

no issues with my pc and no any changes.

Also you need from me to make a video to proof that the game is not running before i press the steam arma launcher..... just believe it... 🙂

as i understand you dont have any clue about this problem. 

can you help on next question?

i need the steam launcher only for the workshop mods.

so where can i find the folders for workshop downloaded mods without installation from arma launcher.?

right now when the mods are installed from steam launcher , appears in workshop folder in arma3 root.

if i can find the mod folders with their names and not as irrelevant numbers then the launcher is completely useless for me.

ps. thanks for guiding me through the troubleshooting of the computers 👨‍🎓.........................

45 minutes ago, dragonsyr said:

as i understand you dont have any clue about this problem. 

I have an idea as i had an instance of it before when i did have the game running and had the same thing where i couldn't do anything but

aside that no as i dont use the launcher other then check for mod updates.

52 minutes ago, dragonsyr said:

Also you need from me to make a video to proof that the game is not running before i press the steam arma launcher

No video needed but did you check the taskmanager under the processes and details tabs to make sure the arma3.exe isn't running?

46 minutes ago, dragonsyr said:

i need the steam launcher only for the workshop mods.

so where can i find the folders for workshop downloaded mods without installation from arma launcher.? 

right now when the mods are installed from steam launcher , appears in workshop folder in arma3 root.

You answered your own question, the workshop folder for all mods is here:

H:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\!Workshop

Might be C drive for you or another but in arma3 root/workshop none the less.

55 minutes ago, dragonsyr said:

if i can find the mod folders with their names and not as irrelevant numbers then the launcher is completely useless for me. 

So how then do you plan to take a workshop update and update a physical file, as steam workshop has its own system for updating

as far as i know and have used, unless the mod is also on Armaholic then i dont see how your able to take a steam worskhop mod

update and update your existing mod for it, does your current arma3 launcher do that?

On 9/3/2019 at 4:07 PM, dragonsyr said:

SteamApps\workshop\107410
I think. Maybe
SteamApps\common\workshop\107410

On 9/3/2019 at 5:04 PM, Gunter Severloh said:

No that's not it. That's where the Arma Launcher places links to the actual modfolders into. The mods aren't actually in there.

On 9/3/2019 at 4:07 PM, dragonsyr said:

if i can find the mod folders with their names and not as irrelevant numbers

That doesn't exist. And they are not irrelevant numbers, they are the steam workshop item ID's

Folder 620019431
is https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=620019431

I don't know how Arma launcher detects that Arma is running. Does steam say on your profile that Arma is running when you have the launcher ope.... ah, yes it does.. mh.
Maybe it detects whether sooome "arma*.exe" is running, maybe you are running something that the launcher confuses to be Arma.

When the launcher says arma is already running, doesn't it offer you a button to kill it, I guess that button just does nothing? Does it do anything?

22 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

I have an idea as i had an instance of it before when i did have the game running and had the same thing where i couldn't do anything but

aside that no as i dont use the launcher other then check for mod updates.

mod updates done only when i start steam client app. the arma launcher does nothing.

No video needed but did you check the taskmanager under the processes and details tabs to make sure the arma3.exe isn't running?

i m sure that arma is not running.... 

Might be C drive for you or another but in arma3 root/workshop none the less.

So how then do you plan to take a workshop update and update a physical file, as steam workshop has its own system for updating

as far as i know and have used, unless the mod is also on Armaholic then i dont see how your able to take a steam worskhop mod

update and update your existing mod for it, does your current arma3 launcher do that?

this folder not exist or is empty if you not install the mods from arma launcher. Try subscribe a new mod and then without install see in this folder if the mod exist. you will find it only in workshop folder on steamapps.

you can find it there with numbers for names. i dont want to search every folder to find a mod from 100 mod folders. i want the names of the mods like the shortcuts that made the launcher in !workshop folder in the root of arma3.

(for extraction and editing purposes......i have a custom island in progress......)

after the end of playwithsix (shame....) the workshop is the only alternative........ i dont have the time to hunt all the mods one by one for update.....

4 hours ago, Dedmen said:

SteamApps\workshop\107410
I think. Maybe
SteamApps\common\workshop\107410

No that's not it. That's where the Arma Launcher places links to the actual modfolders into. The mods aren't actually in there.

That doesn't exist. And they are not irrelevant numbers, they are the steam workshop item ID's

Folder 620019431
is https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=620019431

see reply above ....

5 hours ago, Dedmen said:

Maybe for someone else its in another folder but my screenshot says otherwise http://prntscr.com/p1r1vm

I'm only stating from my perspective of my setup,  aside the SteamApps\common\workshop folder this is how it works for me.

After i sub to a mon on SW, then start the launcher, launcher installs the mod and i go to my folder seen in the screenshot and its there with all files.

29 minutes ago, dragonsyr said:

this folder not exist or is empty if you not install the mods from arma launcher. Try subscribe a new mod and then without install see in this folder if the mod exist.

you will find it only in workshop folder on steamapps.

Does exist and isn't empty i have direct access, why i said what i said.

I have both setups.

If you go to your library where you can see Arma 3 among the list of your games, does it say  Arma 3 - Running

when your trying to access your mods in the launcher?

44 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Maybe for someone else its in another folder but my screenshot says otherwise http://prntscr.com/p1r1vm

I explained how that works already.
You can see on the arrow on the folders that they are just links, the mods aren't actually in there.

@Gunter Severloh

exactly....... see my pics

and try subscribe a new mod and then without install see in this folder if the mod exist.  only this way you will understand the problem with the arma steam launcher.

if the mod it is not in the root of arma like   @modblahblah , or in the !workshop folder like shortcut then you cant launch that mod with any launcher for arma.....

at least i can only install mods from arma launcher because when a new mod subscribed , when the launcher starts, pops a question outside from mods tab and ask to install the new mod (yes/no).

the problem is that i cant uninstall any mods because when i press a checkbox it says "please exit arma 3 to manage your mods " . the only way to do that is to unsubscribe the mod through steam big screen.

1 hour ago, Gunter Severloh said:

If you go to your library where you can see Arma 3 among the list of your games, does it say  Arma 3 - Running

when your trying to access your mods in the launcher? 

@dragonsyr Did you look to see if it it says Arma 3 - Running in your library?

44 minutes ago, dragonsyr said:

exactly....... see my pics

I know about the files and folders, theres no need to go into those folders when they are linked in the !Workshop folder.

So when they are linked there and you open those folders your actually opening those folders in your screenshots.

Either way that dont explain why your launcher is saying that the game is running when you say it isn't, lets stay on topic,

you either want a better way to manage your mods which isn't the topic

or you want to figure out why your getting the message that the game is running and the launcher is not working for the mods.

Video will clear up the confusion here, if you can show exactly what happens start to finish then we can get an idea of what your dealing with,

show the task manager, the steam library where arma3 is listed on the top left to show that its not running too.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Did you look to see if it it says Arma 3 - Running in your library?

Arma 3 Launcher counts as Arma 3, so yes it will say that.

20 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

when they are linked in the !Workshop folder.

As said multiple times already, Arma Launcher does the linking, and Arma Launcher is the thing that's not working here.

Quick google gave me

https://www.reddit.com/r/arma/comments/49l9tl/steam_says_arma_is_running_when_its_not/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/107410/discussions/0/1327844097108169648/

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/540744936717891465/

Apparently there is already a ticket in the feedback tracker, looking through the ticket related to launcher I can't find any that matches the description though.

Btw I asked a question above and you didn't answer me.

• Thanks 1

@Dedmen

I've read them before i start this threat. no fix yet.

.....................................................................................

ok then.....i hope bi fix it in a future update.......

thanks to all for your time

🙂

edit for Dedmen question: When the launcher says arma is already running, doesn't it offer you a button to kill it, I guess that button just does nothing? Does it do anything?

yes it offers a button but does nothing .....

Edited by dragonsyr
edit for Dedmen question

Some files are not removed when de-installing/removing game-files or dependencies.

Did you try clean the steam userdata folder? When you start the Arma 3 executable files are created in those folders.

Also try if it helps to remove (backup the mod presets) the Arma3Launcher folder which is located at %AppData%\Local\Arma 3 Launcher\ and verify the game cache to restore the contents.

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2019 at 6:06 PM, dragonsyr said:

whenever i open arma 3  launcher from steam and click on mods , it says "please exit arma 3 to manage your mods "

the game is not running for sure.......

the only thing i can do from mods tab is to load new installed mods. (it ask automaticaly if want to load the new mod) if you press yes on the popup question , then you cant unselect any of the  loaded mods that you may have. all tab main frame is dark grey and says  "please exit arma 3 to manage your mods "

how can i unload the mods that dont want to run?

Thanks

Hello

I fix it 🙂

I read a lot and this is how i fix it

1-press win key and write "windows update"
2-select "search for actualization" (or something llike that in your lenguaje), in the upper right corner 
3-this maybe going to say that you don't need any updates, but, in some hours you going to receive a new update FOR YOUR WINDOWS

Man... that's it 🙂

It works for me and others and, afik, the only way :3

Good luck, man 😄