vilas

I want to make campaign , I look for cooperators

Hi, I wanted to make some missions for Arma3 , I have my scenario / ideas etc. 

I start making missions (SinglePlayer) and I have very limited knowledge about it - for example I want to add cut-scene etc. dialogues etc. 

I look for someone to cooperate and "polish-finish-fix" missions , so far only 1 mission is in progress, 

but following problems appear :

- plan is that "policeman is ordered to murder scene, there several terrorists shot from AK to policemen and run away" - problem is that ... they do not run (despite waypoint) , they wait "for hours" , moreover, 6 guys with AK "do not killed first patrol of 3 policemen with handguns and SMG as I planned", so result of "attack" is different because those who "had to be killed" killed "bad guys" which were planned to win and escape to place where we have to find them later , but AI screws all what was planned, they behave totally different (for example instead to run as fast as possible they ... stand for 8 minutes and cover behind tree and aim into direction of enemy )

another not funny situation - police patrol armed in handguns "had to die in my plan" and 6 terrorists (on 3 cops) with AK "should smash them in seconds" while... terrorists shooting second magazine and cannot hit 3  policeman and policeman killed them from pistol 

in mission that "policeman has run for cover after terrorists killed first patrol and than he returns with SWAT team but they run away and we have to find trace and investigate" - but they neither kill patrol nor they run, 

another issue is "car has to take SWAT team from base but they do not want to get in and continue on foot"

another issue SWAT team member dies not due to bandits but he is run away by another police car etc. - total disaster of AI so i look who can help me to organize missions 

things which were working in Arma2 (get in, load, transport unload) here seems to work different and AI "thinks too much instead of obeying orders" 

my mission worked in Arma2 , in Arma3 it behaves totally different due to AI difference it seems 

DLC Tanoa and Livonia - action takes place on Livonia with "Gendermerie Police" units (all BIS default stuff from DLC)

campaign starts when civilian hunter finds group of strange guys , he thinks they are ASG players but suddenly they open fire (i need camera scripting , that hunter sees armed guys by binocular ),

so he calls police and reports to police about it

police comes to check and police is under heavy fire, all police dies except one policeman which runs away,

he gets SWAT help and with SWAT they counter attack place in woods but noone left except dead bodies of one terrorist and some rucksacks

he investigates left rucksacks (i do not know how to make it as game-logic tasks)

he founds that equipment is military not civilian so they were not usual bandits

rest of scenerio will be Livonia as good guys which are under attack from hybrid-war from Russia or US when both superpowers discover that "in old castle aliens left something and both superpowers push on little Livonia because they want alien-technology for their own" and Livonian player has to defend his country against once Russian specnaz (DLC) another time "democracy helpers " and scenario is not "open war" rather than "someone in the woods was shot and politicians in AAN say nothing happened"

political-fiction scenario with AAN storytales etc. 

so capaign similar to which BIS makes with "cutscenes from TV news" - i can make waypoints and triggers and units placement but i do not know about scripting, cutscenes, camera

now what I would need is to make goddamn AI to obey scenario and waypoints 

also I am looking for solution for AI to "blindly follow orders" - i do not want philosophical AI 

• Like 4

Hey Vilas.  You have an ambitious plan.  I recommend small steps to get each piece working.  What you learn by making the first few parts  work, will make later parts much easier.  Here's a few ideas for first part.

1 hour ago, vilas said:

plan is that "policeman is ordered to murder scene, there several terrorists shot from AK to policemen and run away" - problem is that ... they do not run (despite waypoint) , they wait "for hours" ,

to make units leave try

• disableAI command on these units and disable "TARGET",  "AUTOCOMBAT", and maybe "FSM"
  • setBehaviour "AWARE" on baddies.  If they are stuck in COMBAT behaviour, they will not move quickly
  • setUnitPOS "UP"  (so units don't go prone and are too slow)
  • be sure your waypoint for them to run away is firing by putting a hint in it.
  • For the alive policemen they are fighting, you could setCaptive true on them so bad guy no longer considers them enemy, so bad guy ai will no longer switch to combat ai mode
1 hour ago, vilas said:

moreover, 6 guys with AK "do not killed first patrol of 3 policemen with handguns and SMG as I planned", so result of "attack" is different because those who "had to be killed" killed "bad guys" which were planned to win and escape to place where we have to find them later ,

• use setskill on cops to reduce their accuracy and reaction time.  use setskill on bad guys to maximize their skills.
  • use reveal to reveal cops to bad guy team so bad guys react first
  • use doTarget for baddies to target cops quickly
  • as a last resort, use allowdamage on baddies so they can't be killed, and therefore always win the fight

Look up these commands in the wiki.  You will probably want to run  a series of commands on units on a group.  Here is an example where I assume you have named leader terror team in editor "TerrorTeam1Leader".

{
	_x setBehaviour "AWARE";
	_x setUnitPos "UP";
	// etc.
} forEach units group TerrorTeam1Leader;

What you want to achieve will require learning some basic scripting.  You can do it, its fun.  But it is time consuming and frustrating also. 

Good luck sir!

• Like 6

@vilas,

@johnnyboy

You have an ambitious plan.

Very ambitious.

In addition to everything johnnyboy said, I would suggest creating each element individually in a VR test map before implementing it into your scenario. Recently I was considering a Police scenario, I'll keep tabs on what you're doing here.

@Dedmen, might move this to Find or Offer Editing because I think that's what this topic is.

• Like 4

thanx for suggestions, this AI is insane

i made mission , i play it in mission editor - all works so far

i export it to singleplayer scenario and ... 

to my surprise "once again terrorists instead of escape , they do counterattack" "my SWAT team supposed to arrive when bandits escaped, now bandits stay in place and kill my SWAT team"

i tried "disableAI" with no succes 😞 i put trigger with "rus1 disableAI "fsm" ; ...." but it was resulting them to stay for looooong, so i deleted it and  - when i play from "mission editor" it behaves different than from "singleplayer" - like different AI settings were in "game" and "in editor" 

https://sharefiles.app/download/c602cc26b7f08d103b76aa542a6da00405c58079

zip with folder of mission from "mydocs" mission called Hunter's murder (should be much longer) 

@vilas,

what @wogz187 sugested - i put on empty map (Livonia) 1 specnaz squad

One of the key reasons to use the VR map for testing is because it loads in half a second. Waiting for Tanoa and Altis to load (even though it's only a few seconds) is a lot of time wasted.

i could record movie from gameplay and put it on YT to show

We love movies!

:D

• Like 1

This is why I would never make a mission that is so dependent on the AI. You cannot depend on the AI to consistently carry out detailed movements, and engagements.

Some great advice someone once gave on the forum here was, don't fight the game, work with it. 

My suggestion would be to rework your mission to be much less dependent on the AI, or commit to heavily scripting that part of the mission.  I'm guessing that you probably don't know how to script this, so your best option may be to just redesign your mission to be less dependent on the AI.

If you want to try heavily scripting that part of your mission, you could try this, but I caution you, this would not be easy to do if you don't already know how this function works.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stburr91 said:

scripting 

yes, exactly as you suppose - i am totally green in coding

since 2003 i was doing models for OFP and Arma1-2, but i never made simple script - i was always 3D modeler and never coder, for me those "!alive && || " is totally new, i never had coding in school , i never learned C+ C++ C# , i was always using Corel (painting textures) and Oxygen ;)

but i love some "adventure scenarios" (privately i play in adventure games , not in shooters, but i like putting adventures in shooter , thats why i want to make long campaign which is political-fiction tale about politics, big business etc. )

so i present my "first" mission yesterday, now i must do "mission zero" (before first) - in this mission is story of this hunter and his friend, 

in second mission i plan "construction workers" - specnaz recon which hides in civilian uniforms as workers which "fix" electric plant, 

than military mission about hunting those specnaz recon in old castle ruins

i want to make "hybrid war" scenario , yet without "showing uniforms as army" but "police chase for electric worker which is suspicious" etc. 

than players in fourth or fifth mission of capaign will find "they are specnaz" , so far "police collects evidence" and "army took investigation and policeman is angry because his friends died and army came and took investigation and policeman wants to find on his own hand" 

• Like 3

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gp9c26rt2x1zz4u/mision1_vil_hunter.enoch.pbo?dl=0

first mission ver. 2 , about first i told too much already so people know "what is going in it"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gwchhm9xyd13e4m/mission2_vil_mobilephone.enoch.pbo?dl=0

second mission , i will not tell , let someone play and say if likes it 😉

returning back to editor to make another 😉 when there will be people willing to polish/fix/add to it dialogues by voice, pictures, tasks etc. let me know 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, vilas said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gp9c26rt2x1zz4u/mision1_vil_hunter.enoch.pbo?dl=0

first mission ver. 2 , about first i told too much already so people know "what is going in it"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gwchhm9xyd13e4m/mission2_vil_mobilephone.enoch.pbo?dl=0

second mission , i will not tell , let someone play and say if likes it 😉

returning back to editor to make another 😉 when there will be people willing to polish/fix/add to it dialogues by voice, pictures, tasks etc. let me know 

Wow, Vilas, nice to see you back, and now endevouring on missions making... I´ve done some pretty simple(straightforward) missions/showcases and I must say your´s are quite good and pretty neat! Go for it, man! Loved the concept and I´m wanting more... I love missions "out of the box" and your idea of campaign is awesome!

And follow Johnnyboy´s advises, his missions are avantgarde and he certainly knows his craft 😉

Cheers

• Like 1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujef3zefs3xdqs0/mission3_vil_castle.Enoch.pbo?dl=0  

third mission , probably next will have to be played as contact not played as Arma, because in Contact more items are available than in vanila

but this mission ends in moment in which next will start 

• Like 1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9rojbvs56jht3b/arma3_LDF_campaign.Enoch.zip?dl=0

11 missions mini campaign, 

first missions reworked , i fixed issues such as "player had different face in each mission, captain had different face in each mission"

now missions start from bureau, i spent some time on seting furniture in building, now mission is starting like real mission not "stand in front of building and go"

i hope people will have fun playing it, it is my first mission-making in Arma3 and first "campaign released" , so it is still on the noob-level , but anyway i wish fun playing it

i had no idea how to script it that mission 2 appear when 1 finished, 5 when 4... so they are already available but for sake of "storyline" please play 1, 2, 3, 4... 11

if missions will have positive acceptance than i will prepare more missions and "in between" missions (for example 9A, 9B, 7C) cause at the moment this campaign is "short" (11 missions only, not whole adventure line which i wanted to show and without ending , missions are not long so thats why 11 but short stories, as i wanted to make adventure game from Arma, so not in all missions player shoots even single bullet  while in other missions you cannot let other avatars die while you must defend yourself  )

this campaign doesn't end, it ends in step which shows that there will be next mission but simply i wanted to give them without awaiting, or opposite - to make taste for another if someone will like storyline (LDF mistery vs superpowers) 

storyline is also told in intro and outro of mission , not just only missions (despite i still haven't learned AAN and camera)

so play and share opinions 

required DLC : Contact, Apex (gendarmerie etc.), there are used also stuff from other DLCs but not the way it require player to have it cause used by AI 

regarding playing - contact is required in mission 5, 6 because of Contact "alien" object , rest should work to play in A3 but on Livonia 

• Thanks 1

Loving it so far, Vilas (played through til 5th mission, stopped cus it needs Contact, so I would have to restart A3, but I´m off to bed anyways), dialogs to set the mood, variety of objectives and an interesting plot, the only observation, meanwhile is that on 3rd mission, the buddy cop needs too much guidance (it won´t move till I order it to go to next waypoint, thou he was supposed to follow the ranger forester), but a minor and in no way a gamebreaker, so, keep up the great work!

I´ll try to beat the whole campaign tomorrow, and then review it as a whole, but so far, so good 😃

Outstanding work for a first ever campaign, man!

Cheers

• Like 1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9rojbvs56jht3b/arma3_LDF_campaign.Enoch.zip?dl=0

new version of archive

changelog

Mission 11 has fixed overwiew (no change in mission, just map briefing)

Mission 12 added

Mission 13 requires play in Contact 

added : 3 bonus missions - NATO / UN international forces helping Malden Defence Forces to get rid of CSAT which invaded Malden  (action on Malden)

mission 1) Contingent (landing of LDF troops on Malden), 

mission 2 ) Saboteur - classic OFP-like "put bombs under Shilka"

mission 3) Guns of Navarone 😉 

• Thanks 2