snkman

Group Link - X - ( Test / W.I.P. )

Zeus vs Eden 3D Editor  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefere using Zeus or Eden 3D Editor?

• Zeus
    • Eden 3D Editor

5 hours ago, b3lx said:

I want to share a thought on something that bothers me in Arma. It's something that happens in every game I've played with vanilla or different AI mods and seems very unrealistic: infantry and vehicles move too close to the enemy. I think especially unarmoured vehicles like technicals should move to suitable places where they can provide some support fire without getting killed by some dude 10 meters away. Transport vehicles even worse, reinforcements become pretty useless as often everybody dies disembarking a truck. The great majority of real combat footage I've seen portrays long range engagements and everybody ducks as soon as bullets strike near. In Arma the AI treats bullets as if they were a minor inconvenience.

Do you have any plans to improve this?

Yes that's true.

But just as Muecke already said it pretty much depends on the situation.

ARMA is open world and almost everything can happend during a mission... Making A.I. behave to every single situation possible correctly really is impossible...

If you test GLX you will notice that A.I. will try to avoid moving too close ( straight ) to their enemy(s) by using a lot of flank movement. This works pretty well in open areas where line of sight is given.

In urban areas or in a deep forest for example A.I. will have to behave / move very different because line of sight very often is blocked by objects ( buildings / trees ).

In this case you could make A.I. just sit at their position may never encounter enemy(s) or make them move to where they think enemy(s) could have moved to and may make them move right into their enemy(s).

From my point of view you simply have to find a way which fits most situations possible.

Just test GLX and see how it works for you. :icon_cool:

3 hours ago, Adam Noble said:

I really liked this mod, the game has become much more interesting.  I believe that he should be bearable, I have become more careful and very vigilant, even a two-unit operation is going on against two units.  Now I can’t play without this mod, it showed me a completely different level of the game, I consider it the best AI mod

Hey thanks! :icon5:

Happy to hear you have a good time with it. :thumbs-up:

Hi @snkman

Just saying hi and was wondering where TCL sits these days. Should my clan start discussing transferring to GLX, or is TCL a separate development focus?

14 hours ago, b3lx said:

Trying it now, looks good so far!

Nice!

Well if you encounter something like you already suggested befor with the distance please let me know!

Always good to have multiple views of diffrent users. :thumbs-up:

10 hours ago, anfo said:

Hi @snkman

Just saying hi and was wondering where TCL sits these days. Should my clan start discussing transferring to GLX, or is TCL a separate development focus?

Right now my plan is to develope GLX mainly and take proper working features from T.C.L. over to GLX.

It pretty much depends on which way you like A.I. to behave.

T.C.L. has been turned into a very defensive A.I. modification with GLX my goal is to make A.I. behave much more offensive still tactical + A.I. hunting their enemy(s) behaviour.

So right now my project is GLX with all my T.C.L. experience in mind. :icon1:

Hi, congrats for the job done. Of course, customers always complain,  I have some comments to do :

1. If using a mod like RYD_FFE, or the antiquated FFIS2, mortars can fire automatically. With GLx, nothing happens.

It was the same with TCL, all versions, but once TCL disabled on the unit, they were firing. Disabling GLx .... ["GLX_Disable", "GLX_init"] makes nothing.

2. Now, on 1.94 vanilla (official DLC + CBA + addon under test) I was testing infantry reactions under the following situation :

Shooter = nato EMP marksman, no ghillie, 6.5 ammo, no silencer, n° 6 in a squad ot 8, on top hill, 500 m from target, squad patrolling, move, safe, yellow.

Target = Spetnatz column, WP move, normal speed, safe, yellow.

For me the real life reaction would be the column guys running for cover or hitting dirt at the first shot, then shooting at the marksman. Ideally attacking my position.

• Vanilla : no reaction, everybody walks in the park, can shoot the leader or everyone, survivors keep the pace : pretty deceiving for a supposed military simulation.
  •  GLX : no reaction,  vanilla style...(userconfig untouched)
  •  TCL : good reaction, throw smoke, take cover, seemingly not very aggressive but kill me fast

I tried also other AI mods, some of them out of the museum :

• VcomAI 333 : no reaction, vanilla style, my squad receives orders for attacking, target ignores me. Deceiving, as freshly updated.
  • AISR3 : very light reaction, they duck a little then continue patrolling. Not very good.
  • Feat Of Arms 2 : slightly better, throw smoke, take cover, shoot at me, take care of the wounded, 2 members of my team ( 7 & 8) follow me on the ridge  but stay still....not so bad, not so good.
  •  FFIS2 : fast reaction, smoke, take cover, shoot (userconfig = WP + smoke enabled), 7 & 8 of my squad join me and shoot as well.....you can wonder how   comes this addon still works when you see "the" script. But it does.
  •  bCombat 18 : very fast reaction, run, dispersion, take cover, shoot, then attack my position while progressing hiding behind trees, my 7 & 8 shoot too, then  attack enemies while going downhill. Well, this one is the very best for this situation (autodetect enabled).

BTW, I was a GL4 user in the old A2 days, it was the GL4fx that burned your ass if coming too close from a fire, nice real feature.

Good luck Snkman and thanks for the fun.

• Like 1

Hey!

Thanks and yes of course feedback is always very welcome! :thumbs-up:

1.) Artillery:

So far in GLX i do nothing with artillery and / or mortars as far as i can tell there should be noting which blocks their attack but i will check this asap.

T.C.L. is using ARMA 3 native artillery computer which means there are some conditions which have to match to make A.I. artillery / mortars start attacking their enemy.

Distance ( not too far / not too close ) be able to elevate cannon / mortar correctly, no friendly units within their firing range.

2.) Distance Combat:

I did some tests with GLX right now and to me A.I. did what they are supposed to do.

Throw Smoke, Attack, Move to Cover, Start advancing to enemy position.

Are you sure GLX has been initialized correctly? Do you get the GLX initialize hint?

T.C.L. use a lot more A.I. features like A.I. react to gunfire this feature on its own makes A.I. much more aware of and kind of shooting within a specific range to their position and will result in much faster A.I. reaction in general.

GLX pretty much is at the beginning of its developement using some pretty basic A.I. features only.

Think its round about 6 weeks when i started with GLX.

Yeah GL4 was my biggest project had a really good time working on it as well. :icon5:

Thanks buntukalando! :icon_cool:

Never mind, I was making a mistake...

I was using the module CBA Patrol for giving the patrol target some easy WP, then the default combat mode is "Careless", and not "Safe" as I believed.

• Indeed, with Vanilla or GLX, AI don't react under fire.
  • If I change the module combat mode for "Safe", both vanilla or GLX react normally, with some bonus for GLX of course.
  • If I use a move WP with Careless combat mode, they react normally under fire, with vanilla or GLX.

So, looks like it's a CBA particularity.

The question is how comes the other AI mods don't see it, including TCL.

2 hours ago, buntukalando said:

Never mind, I was making a mistake...

I was using the module CBA Patrol for giving the patrol target some easy WP, then the default combat mode is "Careless", and not "Safe" as I believed.

• Indeed, with Vanilla or GLX, AI don't react under fire.
  • If I change the module combat mode for "Safe", both vanilla or GLX react normally, with some bonus for GLX of course.
  • If I use a move WP with Careless combat mode, they react normally under fire, with vanilla or GLX.

So, looks like it's a CBA particularity. 

The question is how comes the other AI mods don't see it, including TCL.

Well thats the reason why i recommend to test without any additional AddOns / Mods first.

"CARELESS" / "SAFE" / "AWARE" / "COMBAT" are no combat modes they are behaviours.

Combat Modes are: "YELLOW" / "RED" for example.

Well the answer to your question is pretty simple GLX does not change A.I. behaviours it will randomly change A.I. combat modes only. :icon5:

Group Link - X ( W.I.P. ) v.1.0.09

This version will bring some major A.I. main system changes / improvements and bug / syntax / script fixes / improvements + 1 new ( not really new but from my point of view very important ) A.I. feature!

A.I. Feature: ( New )

A.I. react to weapon fire. ( Playable / Switchable )

Download ( drive.google.com )

Enjoy! :icon2:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for updating AI is now even more dangerous and smarter. You created one of the stupid bots of professional killers.

Thank you for this nice toy 😉

I remember using gl2 back in the ofp days.

So far so good... What is going on with the units after they supported other units. GLX runs fine with a bunch of ai fighting each other, call support ect. locally and dedicated, vanilla a3. But after some time they start to make some big journeys to the bottom left map corner. Any guess? (not tested with v.1.0.09 yet)

3 hours ago, Adam Noble said:

Thanks for updating AI is now even more dangerous and smarter. You created one of the stupid bots of professional killers.

Thanks! :icon5:

Well A.I. is just like humans!

Teach them, train them and they will get better and better! :icon1:

57 minutes ago, ixn said:

Thank you for this nice toy 😉

I remember using gl2 back in the ofp days.

So far so good... What is going on with the units after they supported other units. GLX runs fine with a bunch of ai fighting each other, call support ect. locally and dedicated, vanilla a3. But after some time they start to make some big journeys to the bottom left map corner. Any guess? (not tested with v.1.0.09 yet)

Yeah pretty much the same! :icon2:

Good old O.F.P. / GL2 / Mapfact Respawn and Laser Delta Force times! :icon_cool:

Many thanks for your detailed feedback! :thumbs-up:

Normally after their enemy(s) are killed they will randomly search the area for additional enemy(s) for a few minutes.

If no additional threats were found they will return to their original waypoint ( position).

Do you use spawned A.I. in the mission where this happens?

Bottom left corner of the map sounds like they don't have a correct position where they should move to. :headscratch:

I will test this! Thanks for the hint! :thumbs-up:

Just tested the new version.

I only tested with simple editor placed units, one or two got a move wp to initialisize the chaos.

47 minutes ago, snkman said:

Normally after their enemy(s) are killed they will randomly search the area for additional enemy(s) for a few minutes.

With the new version it behaves like this, and the units went back to the initial start position. Need test with spawend/respawend/dac units.

Is it possible to change the settings inside the mission rather than with the userconifg?

If an enemy did already call some support and the enemy and support get killed prior they can request another support unit, would it be possible to send some (if designated one is available) unit to the ao for a search after some time?

Edit:

47 minutes ago, snkman said:

Do you use spawned A.I. in the mission where this happens?

When i use spawned ai then the problem with mapcorner occures.

26 minutes ago, ixn said:

With the new version it behaves like this, and the units went back to the initial start position. Need test with spawend/respawend/dac units.

Yes i tested it myself right now and it is what i was guessing...

Spawned A.I. do not get a waypoint. This will make them move to [0,0,0] which isEqualTo bottom left corner of the map.

Already fixed it... :icon1:

28 minutes ago, ixn said:

Is it possible to change the settings inside the mission rather than with the userconifg?

Yes it is.

All you need is a Init.sqf and copy past this code into it.

Init.sqf:

// Disable initialize of GLX in this mission.
//
// GLX_Initialize = False;
//
/////////////////////////////////////////////

// Stop all code executing below this.
//
// if (True) exitWith {};
//
/////////////////////////////////////////////

GLX_AI =
[
	1,							// A.I. vs Enemy Knowledge
	0.15,						// A.I. vs Enemy Rating
	3,							// A.I. Reinforcement Request Amount
	70							// A.I. Enemy Search Duration
];

GLX_IQ =
[
	3							// A.I. Enemy Knowledge Duration
];

GLX_Radio =
[
	30,							// A.I. Reinforcement Request Time
	[1000, 3000, 5000, 7000]	// A.I. Reinforcement Request Distance
];

GLX_Debug =
[
	True,	// Initialize Debug
	True,	// Map Marker Debug
	True,	// 3D Icon Debug
	True	// Cursor Debug
];

// Script based initialize of GLX if dePboed "GLX_System" folder is used.
//
// GLX_Path = "GLX_System\";
//
// execVM (GLX_Path+"GLX_Initialize.sqf");
//
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

// Some stuff i always use during developement.
//
// enableCamShake False;
//
// onMapSingleClick "player setPos _pos";
//
///////////////////////////////////////////////

35 minutes ago, ixn said:

If an enemy did alredy call some support and the enemy and support get killed prior they can request another support unit, would it be possible to send some (if designated one is available) unit to the ao for a search after some time? 

You mean some kind of rescue A.I. group which will look / search for the requesting and requested A.I. groups?

If yes no there is no such kind of system / feature.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, snkman said:

Already fixed it... :icon1:

Great! mind to update it on github?

Init.sqf

Amazing 🙂

You mean some kind of rescue A.I. group which will look / search for the requesting and requested A.I. groups? 

Yeah like, wtf is our support doing maby we go have a look!

Great! mind to update it on github?

Since some days / week i'm not able to upload folders to GitHub by using the web-interface anymore... Idk why... :headscratch:

.PBO still works somehow... There you go: Group Link - X ( W.I.P. ) v.1.0.10

Guess the server key from v.1.0.09 will not work with this version anymore...

Yeah like, wtf is our support doing maby we go have a look!

Yes maybe something like this would work with Location A.I. groups where specific fixed A.I. group(s) are able to support each other only.

Ok, it seems to work, will test it on dedicated later. Thx alot!

Nice! :icon_cool:

Thank you for reporting this issue! :thumbs-up:

I was under the impression that this was a server side only mod. So I run it on my dedicated server with -servermod=@GLX. In this case does the server key even matter, since clients are not running the mod?

3 hours ago, Tuskegee_99th said:

I was under the impression that this was a server side only mod. So I run it on my dedicated server with -servermod=@GLX. In this case does the server key even matter, since clients are not running the mod? 

Yes it is server side only!

Hmm... Good question... Guess there will be no key requirement? Maybe if a client with @GLX installed join the server but -serverMod already should define it as server side only?

Only reason why i create those keys is because every time i released a mod without key the first post was "where is the server key?". :icon2:

could you make it like in a vi-com so that ai with static weapons can lay it out and shoot it? (mortar, machine gunners, UAV operators). or make it an option in userconfig.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, topden said:

could you make it like in a vi-com so that ai with static weapons can lay it out and shoot it? (mortar, machine gunners, UAV operators). or make it an option in userconfig.

I agree was using Vcom just for this, but this AI mod eat too much the performance

@snkman

Hi, I love your work, I have been using GLX for some time already, but now during a mission, this error occurred to me and no longer disappears from the screen:

'...ic getvariable "GLX_Time");
it (time > /#/ then
[
_return - True;
}
else
[
i...`
Error Undefined variable in expresion: _time

20 hours ago, topden said:

Yeah already was thinking to do something like this for quite some time.

So far i don't know too much of how to get this working but i will defenetly keep it in mind.

6 hours ago, vafana said:

@snkman

Hi, I love your work, I have been using GLX for some time already, but now during a mission, this error occurred to me and no longer disappears from the screen:

'...ic getvariable "GLX_Time");
it (time > /#/ then
[
_return - True;
}
else
[
i...`
Error Undefined variable in expresion: _time

Thanks! :icon5:

Hmm... So far i did not get this error but i will have a look if there is something i'm missing.

Thanks for your feedback! :thumbs-up:

• Thanks 1

Hey, I very much like this mod, keep it updated and continue adding these AI improvements that I consider "Essential" to Arma 3.

Some suggestions:

1. Maybe some improvements to vehicle road movement? I hate having convoys to cities that decide to offroad it randomly...

2. Sometimes, I've noticed when squads first get fired upon, EVERYONE crouches or goes prone. Its *much* more realistic to have them immediately move to cover or fortify abuilding, is this possible?

3. Maybe add a module that could enable/disable planes landing at an airfield or... better spot once they are needing to reload, repair etc?

4. Maybe make AI re-enter static weaponry when an enemy is nearby (and, potentially when its optimal for them to use it?)?

(Very Optional) 5. Maybe have AI call support automatically  from any AI that isn't doing anything (E.g in the distance???), like in a completely different town, and them moving to whoever called them(s) last position?

(Very Optional) 6. If AI supporting is added, maybe make it so they enter vehicles empty nearby for transporting on long distances and/or for supporting?

cheers