snkman

Group Link - X - ( Test / W.I.P. )

Zeus vs Eden 3D Editor  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefere using Zeus or Eden 3D Editor?

• Zeus
    • Eden 3D Editor

Hi Snkman, great mod first off - our group has been enjoying it immensely over the past 2 months or so. I need to report a fairly severe issue with GLX in that very occasionally a fatal error occurs within the internal scripting and it causes all of the AI to freeze on the spot and no longer appear to be valid objects on the server. They will no longer register bullet hits, respond to commands and you cannot delete them as zeus (the bounding box will disappear but the unit 3d object stays there running on the spot).

This is run from a dedicated box with quite a few mods, but just to preempt questions: -file patching is enabled, user config has not been edited other than to allow debug info, GLX is run as a 'servermod' and I've done numerous test runs stripping all mods out, running with and without GLX, and only using specific factions in each run.

The errors I'm going to list only show up when GLX is loaded into the modset, and as far as I can tell (I'm not very knowledgeable about scripting/coding) it has something to do with certain units becoming 'non-objects' within the server and in rare occasions this causes an issue when that unit is deleted. The server continues to run, but its as if all simulation has ceased to be calculated and the server + HC instances have to be 'end process' through task manager for them to be properly closed. I've only started to notice it since the 1.96 update, but its such a rare problem I can't say for sure whether its a new problem that came in with the patch or we just didn't experience it beforehand.

Here are the errors that are popping up within the RPT's, please note these only occur when using GLX:

Error in expression <n
{
private _unit = (_units select 0);

_unit assignAsGunner _vehicle;

_units d>
  Error position: <_unit assignAsGunner _vehicle;

_units d>
  Error Undefined variable in expression: _unit
File GLX_System\GLX\GLX_Extension_F.sqf..., line 111
Error in expression <roup getVariable "GLX_Disable");

if ( (_string isEqualTo "GLX_Move") || (vehicl>
  Error position: <_string isEqualTo "GLX_Move") || (vehicl>
  Error Undefined variable in expression: _string
File GLX_System\GLX\GLX_Reinforcement_F\GLX_Logic_F.sqf..., line 97
Ref to nonnetwork object 2860e098fe0# 1680923: <no shape>
Error: Object(6 : 532) not found
"DEBUG: Start of AI script. Currently assigned target: <NULL-object>"

I can successfully recreate the fatal error when using a certain faction, so if you want video evidence of the AI freeze in action then I'm happy to provide it. My best guess is that something in the way GLX creates unit variables to allow for their being so dynamic occasionally causes this problem, and certain faction configs increase the chance of it happening somehow.

I have a bunch more testing data and if you'd like to discuss further in chat feel free to add me on steam. 

>BE WARNED: If you are looking for an A.I. mod with lot of different A.I. features this is the wrong place!

GLX mainly has been created to get a new main / base A.I. system used to build up the mod with.

Would this mean it would be compatible with other AI mods such as Vcom AI or Stealthghillie?

When a firefight is over the game freezes, in three of the various firefights I simulated, it happened as soon as one AI started healing himself or someone else. After 3 or so minutes the game unfreezes but freezes again after a few seconds and continues to do this.

My mod order is:

- CBA_A3

- VET_Unflipping

- HCC - High Command Converter 1.5.5

- No More Aircraft Bouncing

- CTRG Faction

- Arma 3 menu

- GLX

I haven't successfully initialized GLX in a mission when using as a mod activated through either shortcut or launcher. The mod is shown as active in the startup screen, but no message displays on mission start and the AI aren't affected.

TCL still seems to be the go to as of 04 2020.

I can't find a better mod. I logged in to post that I hope you come back to this project. 

GLX works, seems like TCL was more finished and GLX is an unfinished rewrite. 

Hello in the description i can read this "Headless Client ( H.C. ) Initialize..."

What does that mean exactly ? There already a feature to transfert AI in to HC ?

1 hour ago, Fire_in_the_hole said:

snkman 

My game with this mod hangs. What to do?

I don't think this mod or TCL are being developed anymore as the author hasn't been on the forums in months.

Very sorry for not responding / checking the forum that long...

Well i'm still working on GLX but progress has been slowed down a lot or almost stopped cuz of some RL stuff + some other game's i was playing / play due to the limited time i have / had.

Whenever i start modding i need to have a lot of free time i can spend to it at least 8 - 10 hrs in a raw that's how it is for me when it comes to modding...

If i only got couple hrs free time ( 1 - 3 ) i do not even touch it cuz i know i can't stop after starting with it. Kind of addicted hobby... 😋

All or nothing... 🙂

Back in my 20s - early 30s modding was much easyer cuz i did not care about many things so i could spend almost all my time to it but well time's change i guess...

Hopefully i will be able to release another update in the near future!

Also many thank's to all the ppl that answered any kind of question regarding GLX and TCL much appreciated! 👍❤️

P.s.: As long as there is ARMA there alway's will be an =\SNKMAN/= 😉

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Glad that it is still in your mind to work on / finish ... happy to test anything out for you ... just ask.

Welcome back snk, very happy to see you again 

am afraid to say after many tests between GLX and TCL
TCL still on the lead, i got huge issues with GLX including performance, stability ,customisation and incompatibility issues additionally to many bugs
after the  arma updates, alongside with other mods that are updating frequently, TCL is running much better and smother unlike GLX 

anyways am glad that you are back, and  im excited to see further updates on this ; )

Thanks guy's! Much appreciated! 😊

@AirShark

Yes i know TCL still is much more popular than GLX... 😁

Hmm that's strange... TCL use much more code and loops...?

Anyway i now use the latest version of ARMA 3 too and so far it's running pretty smooth ( speaking of GLX ) but like you already know it can be very different from use to user.

Lets just see how the next version will work out. 😉

Hopefully better... 😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, snkman said:

Thanks guy's! Much appreciated! 😊

@AirShark

Yes i know TCL still is much more popular than GLX... 😁

Hmm that's strange... TCL use much more code and loops...?

Anyway i now use the latest version of ARMA 3 too and so far it's running pretty smooth ( speaking of GLX ) but like you already know it can be very different from use to user.

Lets just see how the next version will work out. 😉

Hopefully better... 😅

I believe TCL is more popular because of the tactical movement the AI makes; the AI makes very active use of cover that is not seen in other AI mods and it's just amazing

@keIIy

Hmm... To me A.I. movement of TCL is part of the main problem...

A.I. movement of TCL is kind of very slow and very little almost statically.

Guess it's user preference but i prefere A.I. that moves much more and a lot more dynamically.

My goal is to find a good balanced A.I. that use tactical but still aggressive combat behaviour.

Have to do some more tests with my last TCL release to clearly tell the different.

@Georgians

Sorry so far this is the only place where i release the mod.

I prefer a faster moving AI ... 'advance to target' and all that jazz !

using one setting for all missions may not be cool 

because it differs from situation to another,

if the Ai is encountering weak opponent, fast and rush assault will look better.
if the Ai is encountering even opponent, normal movement,  a little bit of tactics and careful awareness may be better
if the Ai is encountering Strong opponent, heavy tactical, slow moves, hit and run, seak and hide kind of games are suitable 

also, depends on other elements like : defense/assault/(ambush)elements of surprise 

so maybe making a system that categorizes the situation in the firefights will be a useful way to start with, like counting the number of the Ai and the enemy Ai that are face to face shooting and switch the values depending on the result, however, im sure the performance may not be suitable for everyone though 

i used to change the values in the user config for every single mission i had made, but i lost my enthusiasm at the end

• Like 2

On 6/7/2020 at 2:04 PM, AirShark said:

if the Ai is encountering weak opponent, fast and rush assault will look better.
if the Ai is encountering even opponent, normal movement,  a little bit of tactics and careful awareness may be better
if the Ai is encountering Strong opponent, heavy tactical, slow moves, hit and run, seak and hide kind of games are suitable 

also, depends on other elements like : defense/assault/(ambush)elements of surprise 

so maybe making a system that categorizes the situation in the firefights will be a useful way to start with, like counting the number of the Ai and the enemy Ai that are face to face shooting and switch the values depending on the result, however, im sure the performance may not be suitable for everyone though 

Just adding my 2cents to these cool suggestions, maybe have it so instead of counting how much numbers of enemy units the AI sees how about using how many units in a squad are suppressed to determine if they are out numbered, equal strength or have superior numbers.

Spoiler

• little suppression (1 -3 units in a 10 man squad) - assault the enemy, leave no survivors, actively hunts enemy AI that the unit knows about and looks in nearby buildings etc, but this squad should generally stick together.  
  • Moderate suppression (3-5 units in a 10 man squad) - exercise caution, look for cover but should not try to retreat should stick together in teams of lets say 5 men, try to flush out enemies if they are in buildings and even go to the point of just destroying the building itself if resistance is too stubborn. On flat ground try to get as much fire as possible to push the enemy into the high suppression range.
  • High suppression (6-10 units in a 10 man squad) - Break whatever formation every man for himself and seek cover if no cover is immediately available than lets say the AI has a 50/50 chance to run full speed or crawl to the nearest bit of cover, then the AI can try to retreat, hide out in buildings try to break LOS then maybe regroup, call for support (if the unit has a radio or maybe if they have a team leader or squad leader with them) and if no support available run away.

I also maybe a morale/courage system. So 100% this squad rather die than retreat. 50% if lets say half of the squad is wiped out the other half will choose to run. 10% 1-2 deaths or worse just the death of the squad leader these guys are running.

Of course if a unit dies that lowers the pool of units needing to be suppressed and makes suppression easier. So if a group of 5 ambush a lets say a group of 10 and kills six units than this pushes that group into the high suppression range.

More specific stuff like ambushes and defending a location till the last man would need a special exception from those rules and maybe can be implemented with a custom waypoints, modules or a specif set of waypoint settings like: combat, line, open fire, stay crouched for defense and: stealth, prone, line, hold fire unless fired upon for ambush and when majority of AI units have a target to shoot the ambush is sprung.

Sorry for the wall of text sometimes i just cant resist :hyper:

• Like 1

Sure always curiouse to hear what other's think of how things could be done! 😉

Well when it come's to suppression i don't think it should be used to determine A.I. general combat behaviour cuz suppression given on situation could be very random and unaccurate.

Could be for sure taken as part of A.I. combat behaviour but depending too much on it may lead to the wrong direction.

Guess some kind of rating ( A.I. group size incl. vehicles and knowledge ) as @AirShark already suggested would give more stable and accurate results.

• Thanks 1

Sorry new to this mod. have not yet tried it but scanned across the user config files and i was a little confused on something. 

// Choose knowledge A.I. group(s) need to have about their enemy(s) to requesting reinforcement(s).

// Note: If this value was set to 4 A.I. group(s) are not able to request reinforcement(s).

// 0 - 4.00, default is > 1

// GLX_AI set [0, 1];

what is the [0, 1]; there seems to be 2 values in this box? what does the left value do and what does the right value do? 
Im guessing the "//" is simply to disable it altogether? 

It would be a lot easier if it was implemented with CBA 😛

// Choose how many A.I. group(s) can be requested as reinforcement(s).

// 0 - 30, default is 3

// GLX_AI set [2, 3];

Hmm on this one its got [2, 3]; 
I really dont get it 😞 
it says it is 0 - 30 default is 3 so it should just be 1 value?? 

Edit: ohhh the first number is like an index thing? so first option is [0, x]
second is [1, x] 
third is [2, x]
4th is [3, x] 
right? in other words do not change the first number?

GLX Install: ( Script ) DePbo the “GLX_System.pbo”. Copy the dePboed “GLX_System” folder into the mission you like to use GLX with. Create a Init.sqf and use: 

GLX_Path = "GLX_System\"; 
 execVM (GLX_Path+"GLX_Initialize.sqf"); 

There is no file or folder called glx_path 

what is the [0, 1]; there seems to be 2 values in this box? what does the left value do and what does the right value do? 
Im guessing the "//" is simply to disable it altogether? 

It would be a lot easier if it was implemented with CBA 😛

the "//" is for off coding more like  comments and guide or tip or info 
the left value is the value of change for the actual feature ,the right one is the index of that feature so the system select it and connect it to its value on the right

It would be a lot easier if it was implemented with CBA 😛

do you know how to implement this to CBA ?

it says it is 0 - 30 default is 3 so it should just be 1 value

0 is the minimum and  30 is the maximum value that you can use

right? in other words do not change the first number?

if you change that, you will change the index, so you will change the value of the wrong feature

GLX Install: ( Script ) DePbo the “GLX_System.pbo”. Copy the dePboed “GLX_System” folder into the mission you like to use GLX with. Create a Init.sqf and use: 

GLX_Path = "GLX_System\"; 
 execVM (GLX_Path+"GLX_Initialize.sqf"); 

There is no file or folder called glx_path 

class GLX_Path
{
    // ///////////// PBO ////////////////
    GLX_Root = "\GLX_System\";
    // /////////////////////////////////////

// ///////////// Script ////////////////
    // GLX_Root = "\@GLX\AddOns\GLX_System\";
    // ///////////////////////////////////////
};

i think this is glx_path ,and this (GLX_Path+"GLX_Initialize.sqf");  is a reference 

This is by far one of the best AI Mods. Most other AI Mods break a lot off Missions as they do what they want to do.... good for openworld sandbox but not to create scenarios . Here i see a good combine of better AI you can use in openworld sandbox but also  a scenario with a story line, it still works. Also very nice when an APC arrives and first he pop smoke to cover his grunts disembarking, very cool! 

I use it with a modified version of UDO (Universal Difficulty Overhaul), together with GLX this kicks in 😎

I had no problem with performance

Nice work!

• Thanks 1