Just now, ZeekPlayzYT said:

Any update to the AI mod or has it stopped development?

It is still in development. I just don't feel like posting updates, at least not until I'm done with the things I have planned.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Leopard20 said:

It is still in development. I just don't feel like posting updates, at least not until I'm done with the things I have planned.

That's fair, we just don't want it to die like a lot of AI projects. Any chance of it being released this quarter? 

5 hours ago, ZeekPlayzYT said:

That's fair, we just don't want it to die like a lot of AI projects. Any chance of it being released this quarter? 

Hopefully. At least I plan to. 

I've been trying to speed things up lately. So I've scratched some of the unnecessary parts of the mod (they just "weighed it down" performance wise), and I'm trying to finish up some of the leftover parts that I've been putting off due to lower priority. So things are going a bit faster than the past couple of months. I was fixating on some issues that are probably never going to be fixed, but I had to try nonetheless.

Any chance to implement a Sync Shot feature like in GR WIldlands? Team moves into position to take out marked targets and then regroups with leader.

48 minutes ago, rainbow47 said:

Any chance to implement a Sync Shot feature like in GR WIldlands? Team moves into position to take out marked targets and then regroups with leader.

If you mean in the current AIO command menu, no, because vanilla AI aren't reliable enough for such stuff. Maybe when Super AI comes out, but no promises.

Thanks. This would be the best feature ever I think. Would make stealth play really fun!

On 7/15/2020 at 6:31 AM, Leopard20 said:

I was fixating on some issues that are probably never going to be fixed, but I had to try nonetheless.

Well there's probably not that much AI improvement to ARMA franchise over the last 10 years or so, not when compared to what you're about to do. The command radio menu hardly changed at all except for minimum integration of some new ARMA 3 features...

Almost as with many things ARMA they're just destined to remain WIP for, well forever. I say let us see what the 80% solution looks like, what's really bothering the end user and what's not that big a deal even if it not perfect.

Wonder if you'd recommend any number of particular scenarios as your AI's intended ideal usage once it come out?

On 7/20/2020 at 11:22 AM, rainbow47 said:

I'll respectfully push back against the idea, ARMA terrain is drastically more complex and not with the level of "AI friendliness" of average AAA title in mind, events occur at greater distances, and AI don't cheat the mechanics to nearly the same degree, broadly speaking every entity including you as player operate under the same rule. How AI attempt to gain the line of sight on the target alone may be more detrimental that what you're imagining. At present I say just use unit switch to check line of sight and use the default assign target function. I won't say "stealth" is not a thing in ARMA, but it's a lot more nebulous without the level of consistency that you can play with, and generally non existent after firing the first shot.

6 hours ago, mmm said:

Wonder if you'd recommend any number of particular scenarios as your AI's intended ideal usage once it come out?

Missions/mods that interfere with the basic features of the AI (e.g. playing anims, using disable/enableAI commands, etc.) won't be compatible.

The main source of incompatibility is animations. Some mods/missions that play animations on the AI might not work themselves, and also cause Super AI to misbehave.

As a rule of thumb, most missions that put you in charge (being leader) of the AI will be compatible. Also, almost all dynamic missions will be compatible.

Ironically, my AIO command menu is not (yet) compatible! 😉

Due to these incompatibilities, I won't add auto-initialization to the mod. It has to be activated by the player (using an interface, of course, not scripting).

6 hours ago, mmm said:

Almost as with many things ARMA they're just destined to remain WIP for, well forever. I say let us see what the 80% solution looks like, what's really bothering the end user and what's not that big a deal even if it not perfect.

Those features were abandoned due to lack of reliability (only working in very specific cases) and performance issues. I don't think anyone would want that.

For example, one feature was "corner cheking" that I showed in the video. It required very lengthy mesh post processing to detect the corners, and it would sometimes produce a lot of false positives (you would catch an AI leaning from behind nothing, or looking in the wrong direction, etc.). I might bring it back if I come up with a better way to implement it.

13 hours ago, Leopard20 said:

I won't add auto-initialization to the mod. It has to be activated by the player (using an interface, of course, not scripting).

That sounds very pleb friendly, thanks.

13 hours ago, Leopard20 said:

Those features were abandoned due to lack of reliability (only working in very specific cases) and performance issues. I don't think anyone would want that.

For example, one feature was "corner cheking" that I showed in the video. It required very lengthy mesh post processing to detect the corners, and it would sometimes produce a lot of false positives (you would catch an AI leaning from behind nothing, or looking in the wrong direction, etc.). I might bring it back if I come up with a better way to implement it.

That's unfortunate to hear, I considered your AI cover taking a core feature. In my ARMA fantasy land I think it could be dealt with when combined with a command overhaul, where the ai improvement provide the "corner candidate" positions, and let human player filter out the false positives by manually designate the position and facing in the 3D scene.

Hey Leopard curious if you seen the new VBS AI in which all cover positions are dynamically calculated- time to petition for cross platform eh ..:p

Also was wondering what your opinion on vanilla AI's habit of constantly standing up and spinning in different directions while in combat rather than staying orientated on known threats. I see that youve disabled some arma anima's - is this part of your overall gameplan? 

1 hour ago, mmm said:

That's unfortunate to hear, I considered your AI cover taking a core feature. In my ARMA fantasy land I think it could be dealt with when combined with a command overhaul, where the ai improvement provide the "corner candidate" positions, and let human player filter out the false positives by manually designate the position and facing in the 3D scene.

The cover feature is there, so is the "situational awareness" feature (looking at blind spots). What I meant was the "stopping and peeking around corners" feature. My AI can find cover inside the building if needed (under fire), so that feature was just redundant.

37 minutes ago, froggyluv said:

Hey Leopard curious if you seen the new VBS AI in which all cover positions are dynamically calculated- time to petition for cross platform eh ..:p

Hi. No, I'll check it out. But how is VBS related to Arma?!

37 minutes ago, froggyluv said:

Also was wondering what your opinion on vanilla AI's habit of constantly standing up and spinning in different directions while in combat rather than staying orientated on known threats. I see that youve disabled some arma anima's - is this part of your overall gameplan? 

That turning bug isn't part of the animation. It's part of their "targeting". It typically happens when the AI is in cover and is looking out for enemies. Or if its guess on the "approximate target position" is way off. (it gets extrapolated a bit too much if the target was moving)

Naturally it doesn't happen with my AI. They almost always stay on target (unless they can't engage, e.g. out of ammo) 

I haven't disabled their animations. I've just recreated the whole animation system for the super AI (which is why it's not compatible with vanilla anims)

That enabled me to add some cool stuff that were not possible before, as well as fix some other issues.

28 minutes ago, Leopard20 said:

Hi. No, I'll check it out. But how is VBS related to Arma?!

Came out of the same engine at some point they changed but still very similar -i owned it ($500) and bought it just to try their much ballyhooed "Xaitment" ai pathfinding (a middleware solution company) that TOTALLY sucked! Literally zero improvement over old pathfinding and probably worse This newest version looks slick but is no longer for the General pop

43 minutes ago, Leopard20 said:

The cover feature is there, so is the "situational awareness" feature (looking at blind spots). What I meant was the "stopping and peeking around corners" feature. My AI can find cover inside the building if needed (under fire), so that feature was just redundant.

Okay, good to hear the cover taking's intact. I'm not 100% sure what exactly you meant, I guess you mean your equivalent of the vanilla AI's awkward peeking/pie slicing around scripted corners in "danger" combat mode, regardless of presence of detected threat. But you did mention "under fire", I wonder if there's going to be a mean for player to insert the expected threat direction, in absence of already detected threat, say take cover against north west while moving cover to cover, or maybe a exact grid position on map.

30 minutes ago, froggyluv said:

Came out of the same engine at some point they changed but still very similar -i owned it ($500) and bought it just to try their much ballyhooed "Xaitment" ai pathfinding (a middleware solution company) that TOTALLY sucked! Literally zero improvement over old pathfinding and probably worse This newest version looks slick but is no longer for the General pop

The "cover and fire position analysis" sounds like exactly what ARMA AI need. I know of nothing technical but that cover system also look like something dynamic instead of pre-flagged on objects. Wonder if that's aided by recent advancements of deep learning? That kind of tech is probably expensive and do nothing for the profitability of more traditional games, but for ARMA I think that's the kind of investment necessary to really justify the next entry in the series.

9 hours ago, froggyluv said:

That looked...familiar!

See the part where the AI detects the cover? That's EXACTLY how I do it! Using several intersecting lines. Of course mine has another parameter, penetration detection, which tells them to go where the cover is the least penetrable. 

It does have an advantage over mine though. It seems that it can fully see the object's LOD to make its job easier. I have to detect that myself using a trial and error method. 😞

Is it just me or was path finding actually the same as A3?!

8 hours ago, mmm said:

I'm not 100% sure what exactly you meant,

Remember that part of the video where the AI was moving inside a building, then stopped to peek around the corner? That's what's been removed.

8 hours ago, mmm said:

I wonder if there's going to be a mean for player to insert the expected threat direction, in absence of already detected threat, say take cover against north west while moving cover to cover, or maybe a exact grid position on map

You can already do that with the vanilla AI. Just tell them to watch a direction. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Leopard20 said:

You can already do that with the vanilla AI. Just tell them to watch a direction. 

Well vanilla AI can watch direction, they don't know to put a waist height object between it and that direction or a position. I mean can I make your AI always take cover against a specific direction without knowing the existence of an enemy.

You know there's contextual information AI can't use like mission briefing or terrain features suggest potential enemy.

21 hours ago, mmm said:

Well vanilla AI can watch direction, they don't know to put a waist height object between it and that direction or a position. I mean can I make your AI always take cover against a specific direction without knowing the existence of an enemy.

You know there's contextual information AI can't use like mission briefing or terrain features suggest potential enemy.

Yeah, I guess.

I love the menus and easy to access action buttons, much appreciate the work you do on this!  Big Kudos to you!

With that said; the issue I notice is that this mod seems to take over my AI squad and issues orders to my guys in the middle of combat.  This happens to the point where they quit listening to my orders, and I hear orders given such as "five! hold fire" during a fire fight.  Sometimes it appears to break my AI squad to the point where some of them have a constant stop order that I can never get to go away, and if AI was assigned to, lets say, Group Blue, he pops out of that group and turns white...never able to stay in the assigned group.  

With that said, is it possible to just have the updated menus and such without the intrusive AI behavior?  I've turned off setting in the config that would seem to disable this behavior, but I still get it to some extent.

NOTE:  I run AIOSP with Lambs Danger, Suppression, Turrets and RPG; could it be Lambs and AIOSP conflicting?  If so that would suck, as I'd now need to figure out if the menus are more important than game play lol.   

Thanks again for the great work!

Good day,

DrDetroit

I run AIO in just a Menu mode (most of the options except the menus are turned off in the settings) and I don't have any of the issues you describe.  The only AI add-ons I'm running are ASRAI and Discipline (which I'm not sure even matters in this case).

@drdetroit
A few notes:
1. Do you run the mod in multiplayer? Note that it's not fully MP compatible.
2. The mod doesn't issue orders by itself
(except for the auto-medic feature)
3. The issue with changing team colors did happen, but it's supposed to be fixed. I'll check.

2 hours ago, drdetroit said:

With that said, is it possible to just have the updated menus and such without the intrusive AI behavior? 

The new vanilla menus (1, 2, 3, etc. keys), yes (except for key 6, Actions). The custom features in the AIO menu, no.

2 hours ago, drdetroit said:

could it be Lambs and AIOSP conflicting? 

Possibly.
I'll add compatibility with LAMBS in a future update.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Leopard20 said:

@drdetroit
A few notes:
1. Do you run the mod in multiplayer? Note that it's not fully MP compatible.
2. The mod doesn't issue orders by itself
(except for the auto-medic feature)
3. The issue with changing team colors did happen, but it's supposed to be fixed. I'll check.

The new vanilla menus (1, 2, 3, etc. keys), yes (except for key 6, Actions). The custom features in the AIO menu, no.

Possibly.
I'll add compatibility with LAMBS in a future update.

Hi Leopard, thanks for the response.

1. I only run it local hosted and play as SP campaign with Alive.  

2.  Ok, so possibly one of the Lambs modules issuing orders and causing conflicts with my orders, will check this further.

3.   OK, I'll confirm latest build. I DL mods from Steam.

I like your menu, it's much easier to use and functional.  As long as this mod doesn't issues orders to my AI (I though it did to some extent - my bad!) I'll take a closer look at Lambs.  

Thanks again!

Hi Leopard,

Firstly this mod looks amazing the AI appear fluid and engaging, which is exactly what i am looking for! My question is how compatible is this with MP (i see the above post stating its not fully compatible), we are currently running CO40 Domination and even with the AI maxed out on intelligence they are still lacking. Thanks in advance and keep up the awesome work! 

3 hours ago, trance3xl said:

Hi Leopard,

Firstly this mod looks amazing the AI appear fluid and engaging, which is exactly what i am looking for! My question is how compatible is this with MP (i see the above post stating its not fully compatible), we are currently running CO40 Domination and even with the AI maxed out on intelligence they are still lacking. Thanks in advance and keep up the awesome work! 

Hi.
This mod doesn't add any enhancements to the AI. It's simply used for giving commands to the AI.
If you mean the Super AI, it's not out yet.

• Like 1

Yes sorry that is what i was asking about, your AI have far better behavior then vanilla. I only stumbled across this today in my search for AI improvement mods, to try and bring a more realistic AI to the server. Many thanks for the reply!

• Like 1