3 hours ago, b3lx said:

Don't know if there is anything you can do about this in the scope of your mod...

I've been studying the problems with AI driving. Their handling seems to work fine except for when they go reverse, in which case they just disregard ALL objects! Including units! This one can't be fixed, so I'm currently using a dirty method where I just move the unit out of the way of the vehicle!

The other problem is the way they constantly get stuck behind obstacles, and the culprit is the path generation. So what I'm trying to do is use my own path generation algorithm (with some modifications for vehicles) to fix the problem. Obviously it's trickier because vehicles are bigger and require more intersect checks (which also slows the path gen down compared to the one for infantry).
I simply pass the generated path to this command (it's the only command that can be used to move a vehicle properly):

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setDriveOnPath

The early results look promising. I can get them to move around obstacles way better (especially on more cluttered maps, such as Diyalah and its infamous canals and fences!). Even when I put two obstacles in back and front of the vehicle (basically box it in), it can get out just fine (it's not pretty though, because it has to keep moving backward and forward and it constantly crashes with the obstacles). But it still needs lots of refinements to be usable.
The only problem is I have to use doStop to use that command. Thankfully, it doesn't mess with the waypoints.

One of the good things about my path generation algorithm is that it works faster in water compared to the vanilla one (you might've noticed this if you ever tried ordering a boat to go somewhere near the shore). Unfortunately, setDriveOnPath command doesn't seem to work for boats. So my path generation function can't help right now. 😕

4 hours ago, b3lx said:

1 - Armed vehicles don't stay far enough to be effective, they always dive into the action and of course are readily neutralised. The other problem with this is that in mixed dismounted and vehicle groups, vehicles always arrive first at their target without any cover. I don't know if this is possible to solve without messing with waypoints, though.

I think it might be possible. I might do more things when the path generation function is complete.

4 hours ago, b3lx said:

2 - Crews don't disembark properly. In the case of unarmored vehicles they should disembark far enough to keep their vehicle and driver at safe range. In the case of APC's they can approach to directly assault a position but then rapidly disembark and cover, like these guys do: https://streamable.com/e7mzfv

This one is related to infantry AI. And good news, they already do that! (not exactly like that video, but close!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Update:

https://github.com/leopard20/All-In-One-Command-Menu/releases/tag/v1.2.5-Beta

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1893300731

# Added:
* Tasking: Squad Leaders can now perform tasks (healing, etc.). In the case of healing, leaders have a lower priority to be medic.
!! Warning !! Squad leaders cannot continue their vanilla waypoints until all their tasks are complete! You can cancel their tasks from the waypoint UI, as usual.
* Inventory: Units can now access their vehicles' inventory without disembarking, like the player. Also, a shortcut is added to the "Inventory" sub-menu, called "On self" to open their vehicle's inventory.

# Fixed:
* Unstick: Unsticking would change the leader of the group since last update.
* Heal: Units couldn't be healed properly if the unit was damaged both by ACE and vanilla damage systems.
* Heal: Medic icon didn't disapper sometimes.
* Waypoint UI: Refreshing the group would change the leader.

# Improved:
* Minor code optimization.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Now that development is about halfway through, I very much implore the developer to make a discord channel as communication there would be more viable for both questions and support.

• Like 1

Further question, I understand that the AI intelligence mod may use a large sectiion of memory and could cause high cpu usage.

Is it still possible to have multiple groups (e.g 16 fireteams) all running the AI mod so each side has this player like intelligence?

On 5/3/2020 at 3:18 PM, ZeekPlayzYT said:

Now that development is about halfway through, I very much implore the developer to make a discord channel as communication there would be more viable for both questions and support.

At this point a Discord channel is not necessary, but once the mod reaches near completion I will.

On 5/4/2020 at 3:06 AM, ZeekPlayzYT said:

the AI intelligence mod may use a large sectiion of memory

Not much for the AI themselves, but the mesh generation will definitely need a lot of memory because I plan on adding cached meshes to avoid unnecessary calculation time during the mission (mesh generation for a 20mx20m building may take from 0-1 to 3-4 seconds, depending on how many floors and "rooms" it has, but "mesh translation" from a cached mesh takes up to 1s for my biggest mesh yet, the USS Freedom, which takes about a minute to mesh in real time). 

I haven't done the caching yet, but I expect I'll need ~100-200 MBs for the vanilla objects alone (for reference, the USS Freedom needs about 8 MBs of RAM). If you want to use other mods such as CUP, IFA3, Unsung, etc. at the same time, the total size may reach up to 1 GB.

could cause high cpu usage.

Yes this one is likely. But not too high as one might expect.

Is it still possible to have multiple groups (e.g 16 fireteams) all running the AI mod so each side has this player like intelligence?

I doubt you could do that with the vanilla AI either! (at least I can't do it on my system, I barely get 25 FPS if all those AI are "active", i.e. all in combat mode and engaging each other)

It's still too early to say anything about the maximum number of AI, but my goal is to keep it around 30 AI (~4 groups) on my laptop (a below average one) for ~60 FPS gameplay.

Update:
https://github.com/leopard20/All-In-One-Command-Menu/releases/tag/v1.2.6-Beta

# Improved:
The whole stance function was rewritten. New features include:
* Faster and better Copy My Stance. Also fixed the bug where unit might've gotten stuck and unable to move.
* Added a warning hint to remind the player to set the unit stance to Auto before using the stance adjustments (e.g crouch-high) and copy my stance. (you have to disable the vanilla stances manually)
* Fixed a couple of bugs with stance adjustments (e.g sudden animation change).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Update:

https://github.com/leopard20/All-In-One-Command-Menu/releases/tag/v1.2.7-Beta

# Fixed:
* Assemble UAV: Crew would be created for non-UAV units (the command can be used for all disassembled vehicles, not just UAVs)
* Disassemble UAV: Some vehicles couldn't be detected
* Medical: Fixed a rare bug
* Mount: Vehicles of type "Motorcycle" were not detected as "wheeled" vehicles

# Improved:
* Waypoint UI: Always use the Terrain Texture to make the map darker. This helps prevent eye strain if you play at night
* Copy my Stance: Minor enhancements

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Really curious to hear the latest Super AI update. Are we getting closer to a beta test?

2 hours ago, rainbow47 said:

Really curious to hear the latest Super AI update. Are we getting closer to a beta test?

No update since the last post (a few comments back)

Did I say anything about a beta test?! Dunno. There may not be any. It may even be a closed beta test.

• Like 1

Leopard,  what is the "Auto Target:Enable/Disable" option for? Does it have anything to do with Autocombat ON/OFF?

16 hours ago, rainbow47 said:

Leopard,  what is the "Auto Target:Enable/Disable" option for? Does it have anything to do with Autocombat ON/OFF?

It's a setting from the legacy AIO command menus. 

It turns off the AI's auto targetting feature, so only the leader can tell them who to target (basically a forced version of "disengage") It can leave the AI vulnerable though so I don't recommend it.

Auto Combat is the AI ability to automatically switch to combat mode when they come under fire. It may slow them down (AI in Combat mode is too cautious). It also prevents the player from changing their combat mode (e.g. when under fire, you can't go from Combat to Aware if autocombat is on)

Thank you. When Auto Target is disabled, does the AI still fire? Or do they only fire if I give them a target?

4 hours ago, rainbow47 said:

Thank you. When Auto Target is disabled, does the AI still fire? Or do they only fire if I give them a target?

Unless they have an AI leader (whose autotarget is enabled), no, they won't. That's why I said it leaves them vulnerable.

I noticed a lot of attention has been placed on path finding and Friendly AI formations. Maybe I missed it, but have you put any work into enemy AI accuracy? For me that is the main problem with AI in Arma 3. They can spot you in full camo in a small crack of foliage an then head shot you you first try. I am getting back in Arma 3, and I am planning on making my Mod into a single player one now where you fight AI. That is why I have taken interest in your mod. Thanks for your reply.

17 hours ago, Romanze said:

I noticed a lot of attention has been placed on path finding and Friendly AI formations. Maybe I missed it, but have you put any work into enemy AI accuracy? For me that is the main problem with AI in Arma 3. They can spot you in full camo in a small crack of foliage an then head shot you you first try. I am getting back in Arma 3, and I am planning on making my Mod into a single player one now where you fight AI. That is why I have taken interest in your mod. Thanks for your reply.

There's no difference between enemy and friendly AI. It applies to all of them.

At the moment, I'm using the vanilla AI spotting for detecting targets (because it's faster). Once a target is detected, I use my own spotting function to determine whether the AI actually sees the target. Then I reduce their accuracy depending on how well the target is visible (if not at all, they won't fire)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Leopard20 said:

There's no difference between enemy and friendly AI. It applies to all of them.

At the moment, I'm using the vanilla AI spotting for detecting targets (because it's faster). Once a target is detected, I use my own spotting function to determine whether the AI actually sees the target. Then I reduce their accuracy depending on how well the target is visible (if not at all, they won't fire)

So they can still see you very easy, it's just that their accuracy depends on your cover?

3 minutes ago, Romanze said:

So they can still see you very easy, it's just that their accuracy depends on your cover?

At the moment, yes, they can detect you the same as the vanilla AI. It is possible to modify the units' camouflage coeff based on their uniforms and stances, but I'm not sure if I'll add this feature to my mod (depends on how well it works, I haven't experimented yet).

I wouldn't say they can spot you easily though. It strongly depends on whether the "object" or "foliage" is actually blocking their view (as you may know, this depends on whether the object has a proper "View" LOD). This also applies to terrain "grass". Some of them do not block the AI's view (for instance, some spots on the "wheat fields" of Livonia have this issue).

their accuracy depends on your cover?

It is mostly affected by weather, daytime, smoke, and foliage. Daytime (and lighting effects) and weather effects are calculated experimentally using my own functions and they're not 100% reliable as of yet.

So their accuracy is not affected if, for example, you're behind a wall and only your head is sticking out (if that's what you meant).

16 hours ago, rainbow47 said:

Leopard, do you have a release date in for the SUPER AI in mind?

All I can say at the moment is sometime this summer. The exact release date depends on how smoothly things go (not so well lately)

I'm still having issues with helo extraction and getting the helicopter to stay on the ground with the rotors turning.  It seems like either in "AWARE," "SAFE," or in "DANGER," the helicopter will set down and then immediately take off again.  I've also seen it where if you order it to land with engines off, in will land, kill the engine, but then try and take off a few feet until it runs out of lift and then settle back down again.

I get sometimes you have to finesse the AI in Arma, but am I needing to do something else with their condition to get them to listen?  This seemed to start to be a problem again after a BIS update a couple of months ago.

40 minutes ago, gatordev said:

I'm still having issues with helo extraction and getting the helicopter to stay on the ground with the rotors turning.  It seems like either in "AWARE," "SAFE," or in "DANGER," the helicopter will set down and then immediately take off again.  I've also seen it where if you order it to land with engines off, in will land, kill the engine, but then try and take off a few feet until it runs out of lift and then settle back down again.

I get sometimes you have to finesse the AI in Arma, but am I needing to do something else with their condition to get them to listen?  This seemed to start to be a problem again after a BIS update a couple of months ago.

That issue occurs when the helicopter controls are transferred form the Super Pilot to the vanilla AI (the vanilla helicopter system is still producing enough lift to raise the helicopter). If you don't use Super Pilot mode, it probably won't happen.

Anyway, I've been meaning to fix it for some time now. I'll probably take a look at it soon.

1 minute ago, Leopard20 said:

That issue occurs when the helicopter controls are transferred form the Super Pilot to the vanilla AI. If you don't use Super Pilot mode, it probably won't happen.

Anyway, I've been meaning to fix it for some time now. I'll probably take a look at it soon.

I'm not using Super Pilot (as far as I know).  It's just an AI that joins my group after a trigger call and I tell him to land via the [Vehicle, Land, Land with engines (off/on)] menus.

Regardless, appreciate you looking at it.