IrishPineapple

RemoteExec on a global scale

Hey guys, I've got a mission that I have maybe 20 hours into. With a combination of ALIAScartoon's scripts and some extra triggers and objective scripts. I've just realized yesterday when testing it in multiplayer, half if not all the sounds and scripts don't work without changing code to the RemoteExec format.  To make this easier, let me list the various scripts/commands I'm using:

Various addActions, some that complete tasks when picked up

Various SwitchMoves

Various PlaySounds

One CreateVehicle

Various Hint parseTexts

Some scripts from ALIAScartoon's scripts like fog, emp, ufo encounters.

A literal ton of Triggers

And a player animation when the mission starts.

My question is, do I need to go back through and rewrite all my objects/vehicle init's codes to include remoteExec or is there a way to place in the init a line of code that activates all of them globally automatically? 

RemoteExec is not a magic bullet and it could make your and everyone else’s experience worse if you don’t know what you’re doing. In 85% of the cases you probably don’t need to use remoteExec at all

Interesting. Well my main issue is that I have some units in poses, dead to make a scene, but those switchMoves don't work in multiplayer without remoteExec. Also I have several addActions for mission tasks which dont work in multiplayer either. Im not sure whether playSound works in a multiplayer format. Nor Am I about hints.

11 hours ago, killzone_kid said:

RemoteExec is not a magic bullet and it could make your and everyone else’s experience worse if you don’t know what you’re doing. In 85% of the cases you probably don’t need to use remoteExec at all

You're right. It's not a magic bullet. It's a valuable tool that requires some practice in using. 

I will definitely take the time in figuring out how to use remoteexec in the most efficient ways - it's a great solution for missions for resolving a lot of locality issues. Keep in mind, depending on the magical circumstances of the ArmA 3 engine, remoteexec may not be 100% precise in executing the code.

remoteexec is also great for a quick solution for JIP addactions, as you can tie it to the object the addaction is added to - and upon deletion of that object it removes itself from the JIP list.