SaltyNewt

[SOLVED] AI Sniper Not Engaging

I have this sniper on a hill that's about 500m from a group of enemies. My intention was to have them move into position and then stop with a hold waypoint and engage the enemies, and once they're dead activate a trigger that skips said hold waypoint and makes them move up. But my problem is that the sniper just isn't engaging them, he just sits there for a minute or so until the area is "clear" and starts moving to the move point. I've already tried doTarget and Reveal for the enemies that they need to take out but it still doesn't work.

Make sure the AI has actual line of sight on the targets and give him appropriate weapons with scopes (nv scopes for night), the default opfor sniper with the GM6 Lynx will engage up to 2km.

Other factors that might cause issues are daytime/lighting and weather/overcast, whereas weather seems to have bigger influence.

In this example only a simple "doTarget" is needed.

Have a read and go through the thread for further info.

Cheers

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Make sure the AI has actual line of sight on the targets and give him appropriate weapons with scopes (nv scopes for night), the default opfor sniper with the GM6 Lynx will engage up to 2km.

Other factors that might cause issues are daytime/lighting and weather/overcast, whereas weather seems to have bigger influence.

In this example only a simple "doTarget" is needed.

Have a read and go through the thread for further info.

Cheers

Just to clarify the sniper in question is a default FIA Sharpshooter with an Mk. 14 and a Khalia, but I've also tried giving him an LRPS and it still had no effect. It's midday with no overcast and https://imgur.com/a/xER6PQ2 that is the sightline he has. Also, something worth noting is that I spectated the AI in first person and the way it looks around seems like it's looking for a target even though I did reveal and doTarget on the enemies he's supposed to kill.

Which FIA? Make sure you have your sides setup. Is "Green" the bad guys? Etc. Who's fighting who? You may have to set your sides.

1 minute ago, Von Quest said:

Is "Green" the bad guys? Etc. Who's fighting who? You may have to set your sides.

:yeahthat:I overlooked this so many times...it maybe it, Salty.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Von Quest said:

Which FIA? Make sure you have your sides setup. Is "Green" the bad guys? Etc. Who's fighting who? You may have to set your sides.

FIA is BLUFOR and AAF is set to hostile. Most of my mission is finished except for this one part.

So upon further experimentation, I've discovered that the sniper just walks down the hill until he's about 200m from the people he's supposed to kill, and then walks back to the hill, while engaging them the whole way.

16 minutes ago, SaltyNewt said:

So upon further experimentation, I've discovered that the sniper just walks down the hill until he's about 200m from the people he's supposed to kill, and then walks back to the hill, while engaging them the whole way.

This disableAI "path";

That'll keep him from moving.

Have fun!

38 minutes ago, wogz187 said:

This disableAI "path";

That'll keep him from moving.

Have fun!

So this solves the problem of him moving, but now he's just not engaging again.

1 hour ago, wogz187 said:

@SaltyNewt,

Try reveal along with your doTarget. Check out KK's note at the end of the page.

Well, I'm already using both, but maybe I'm not doing it right. I have 4 units that I want the sniper to kill, named en1-4. And the sniper is named sn. I have a trigger that in the activation field has this.

sn reveal en1; sn reveal en2; etc. sn doTarget en1; sn doTarget en2; etc.

On 8/9/2019 at 4:51 PM, SaltyNewt said:

Just to clarify the sniper in question is a default FIA Sharpshooter with an Mk. 14 and a Khalia, but I've also tried giving him an LRPS and it still had no effect. It's midday with no overcast and https://imgur.com/a/xER6PQ2 that is the sightline he has. Also, something worth noting is that I spectated the AI in first person and the way it looks around seems like it's looking for a target even though I did reveal and doTarget on the enemies he's supposed to kill.

AI with Mk14 will engage at around 500m distance, maybe your target is just a few meters beyond that distance, when testing with AAF sniper with default GM6 Lynx at 800m he's one shotting one target after the other with using a simple "sn reveal en1".

Play around a bit with weapons, distances and see what works.

For multiple targets you could use something like this:

//init.sqf or wherever you seem fit
_sniper = sn;
_targets = [en1,en2,en3];
_sniper setVariable ["TAG_fnc_targetList",_targets];
{
	_x addEventHandler ["Killed",{
	params ["_killed","_killer"];
	_targets = _killer getVariable ["TAG_fnc_targetList",[]];
	_targets = _targets - [_killed];
	_killer setVariable ["TAG_fnc_targetList",_targets];
	if (_targets isEqualTo []) exitWith {true};
	_killer reveal [_targets#0,4];
	}]
} forEach _targets;

sn reveal [en1,4];

Every time the sniper kills a specified target, the next one will be revealed.

I personally wouldn't use doTarget or anything similar, since the AI knows better which targets they can currently engage etc.

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

56 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

AI with Mk14 will engage at around 500m distance, maybe your target is just a few meters beyond that distance, when testing with AAF sniper with default GM6 Lynx at 800m he's one shotting one target after the other with using a simple "sn reveal en1".

Play around a bit with weapons, distances and see what works.

Cheers

It worked! Thanks so much.

• Like 1