CaptainDawson

Setting up a high player count Unofficial Warlords server

Hi,

I was recently donated a dedicated server. Lately me and many other players have been getting extremely tired of the repetitive spamming and griefing that goes in the official servers. Now that I have access to my own server, I'd like to see if I can set up an unofficial server running similar missions to the official ones. The idea being that I will set up my own trusted admins to attempt to keep the missions at least playable. Make changes to the default Warlords, like re-balancing sectors and addressing the camping tactics etc. However, I have very little experience with setting up servers, besides making a few temporary servers on my PC.

My question is, is it feasible for me to make a workable dedicated server setup using a residential router and internet setup? Can a server host 40-60 players using the average household network hardware, or do I need the "latest and greatest" network and server equipment to expect to host large missions like on the official servers? Do I need to be concerned with setting up advanced security firewalls and such, or does Battleye handle everything? Would I need to take measures to protect my home network, etc? I am currently testing the server on LAN. Any tips on setting up a server, besides what is already on the forum?

Any help appreciated, thanks

On 8/6/2019 at 8:16 PM, CaptainDawson said:

is it feasible for me to make a workable dedicated server setup using a residential router and internet setup?

Yes

Can a server host 40-60 players using the average household network hardware

Depends on how much bandwidth you have available, and low latency is also nice to have.

or do I need the "latest and greatest" network and server equipment

No

Do I need to be concerned with setting up advanced security firewalls and such

Well if you don't want people to attack your server then.. probably.

or does Battleye handle everything

Battleye has nothing at all to do with firewall and server security stuff.

Would I need to take measures to protect my home network, etc

Well you don't need to do anything, but I would probably still recommend it.