If a custom GUI is opened when player is driver of an air vehicle with engine on, the vehicle behaves as though the landing auto-pilot (or some other phantom) has taken control. After researching the issue for some time now I have found exactly zero information about it.

It's not too bad while flying but it's game breaking on the ground.

I tried using,

playerJET action ["cancelLand", playerJET];

each time the menu opens but that's doesn't seem to do much or anything.

There was a forum topic I can't find again where GOM suggested the above as a EachFrame EH but that seems heavy for a function that should just completely go away.

Where does this controller exist and how can it be modified?

Help me exorcise this phantom pilot!

Testing...

Test module: drive link

• Thanks 1

The work around is to (engineOn False) when the menu is open on the ground but that's less than ideal. I want to wrestle control of the function so it can work for, instead of against, me.

I guess one way to get around it could be to spawn a hidden object and attach the plane to it when the menu is opened? Bit of a hack but if it works.....

27 minutes ago, beno_83au said:

I guess one way to get around it could be to spawn a hidden object and attach the plane to it when the menu is opened? Bit of a hack but if it works.....

Almost, the throttle percent will still move all over the place. So that, plus force 0 throttle, perhaps.

• Like 1

Does this happen with any dialog? I might have to try creating one once I get home and see the effect you described occurs...that's a strange thing 

• Like 2

@genesis92x,

Does this happen with any dialog? I might have to try creating one once I get home and see the effect you described occurs...that's a strange thing 

Yes. I should say dialog instead of GUI.

Tried _plane enablesimulation false?

@MKD3,

Tried _plane enablesimulation false?

Disabling simulation on player vehicle is going to cause more problems than it fixes.

In this case the work around is,

vehicle player engineOn false;

works well enough. It's not an answer to the question though.

Thanks!

On 8/9/2019 at 4:37 PM, wogz187 said:

@MKD3,

Disabling simulation on player vehicle is going to cause more problems than it fixes.

Done it hundreds of times. But to each their own.

@wogz187 Have you actually observed an autopilot-like behaviour or just the throttle jumping in your video? 

Seems to me like it's misreading throttle input when the gui is open. Seems similar to the issue where your plane stops reading throttle input when opening the map. 

Does it happen on all planes? 

Do you have some kind of controller plugged in and does it go away when you unplug it?

@mrcurry,

... autopilot-like behaviour or just the throttle jumping in your video? 

Yes. The same "glitch" in the air will keep the plane from crashing (ex. will pull up in a terminal dive).

... your plane stops reading throttle input when opening the map. 

Maybe it's a game version thing. My plane does NOT stop reading input when the map is open.

Does it happen on all planes?

Yes.

Do you have some kind of controller plugged in

No controllers or odd peripherals.

Thanks,
Have fun!

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 3:35 PM, wogz187 said:

Yes. The same "glitch" in the air will keep the plane from crashing (ex. will pull up in a terminal dive).

So it's not input that's the problem.

I did some of my own tests and decided to document them here.

It does seem like opening a dialog (I tried with MP score table 'cause why not) activates some sort of half-arsed autopilot.

In the air, like you say it, it works alright, like a level flight-autopilot (I use the term "level" loosely). It seems to put you in a coast or cruise mode depending on a bunch of different seemingly random factors and then stops updating. It kicks back in when it you're about to crash and sends you of on another climb/cruise. It gets a little bit wonky with different flyInHeight values, like setting you off on a steep climb which the aircraft can barely hold and doesn't stop even after the "desired" altitude is reached. 

On the ground it behaves more like a taxi throttle-assist. The plane takes off at taxi speeds in a straight-line (hence the throttle up/down). It will stop when it reaches a runway start/end (either end seems to work) and put the plane into take-off configuration when it does stop. If it never moves the plane near a runway endpoint it will go on forever.

As you've realised this "ground mode" only activates when the engine is on. Barring any new commands to interface with this "feature" your current hack seems to be the only way to prevent it.

The odd thing is that this entire system seems like something BIS would, at least, want to give their players a heads up about but as far as I can tell it's completely undocumented. Maybe it's a remnant from older games in the series.

I suppose it's just one of those things that makes Arma that little bit harder to get into.

On 8/10/2019 at 3:35 PM, wogz187 said:

Maybe it's a game version thing. My plane does NOT stop reading input when the map is open.

Seems like either BIS fixed it or it's a problem exclusive to the analog throttle. If you ain't using a joystick then that might be why you've never seen it. I'm not getting the issue anymore but I'm also not running a joystick (for now).

That issue really seems unrelated at this point though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@mrcurry,

I did some of my own tests and decided to document them here.

Thanks!

The plane takes off at taxi speeds in a straight-line (hence the throttle up/down).

It moves the flaps, too. (It? The phantom pilot? Phantom function? I don't know what to call it).

I suppose it's just one of those things that makes Arma that little bit harder to get into.

one more.