bbaanngg

Spawning Units in X amount of Groups

In a project I have been working on I use this code to spawn empty groups based on how many markers are in a trigger.

{
missionNamespace setVariable [format["grp%1",_x], createGroup east];
} forEach _Markers;

So how would I go about spawning 1 opfor unit in each group until all groups have 1 unit in them? Or is there a better way of doing this in general?

{

_group = creategroup “east“;

"B_RangeMaster_F" createUnit [getMarkerPos _x, _group];

} foreach _Markers;

27 minutes ago, Smart Games said:

{

_group = creategroup “east“;

} foreach _Markers;

You're absolutely sure this works?

Cheers

8 hours ago, bbaanngg said:

In a project I have been working on I use this code to spawn empty groups based on how many markers are in a trigger.

{
} forEach _Markers;

So how would I go about spawning 1 opfor unit in each group until all groups have 1 unit in them? Or is there a better way of doing this in general?

While it's a little unclear what exactly you want here's my contribution. Nvm I got it.

Separating the spawn of groups and units can be beneficial if you want to, say, do a caching system. Use the groups as holders for the group data and units are spawned only when players get close. However keep in mind that you can run into the 255 group limit pretty quickly if you do big missions so maybe it's not the best way.

If that's what you want you really just access the group you just created using getVariable and the same variable format as when you created the group. The variable name can be gotten from the marker.

//Creating groups, note that we also store which marker the group belongs to do a cheap lookup when the time is right.
{
	private _grp = createGroup east;
	_grp setVariable ["marker", _x];
} forEach _Markers;

//Creating units (can be done at any point later)
private _grp = missionNamespace getVariable [format ["grp%1", _x], grpNull];
if(!isNull _grp) then {
	private _u = _grp createUnit ["Class", markerPos (_grp getVariable "marker"), [], 25, "NONE"];
};

Note: If you have no need to delay the spawn of the units until later then it's just wasted CPU cycles to do the above. If so just go with w/e floats your boat from below.

A. To put one unit at each marker just do what's been suggested:

private _unitClasses = ["class1", "class2", "classN"];
{
	private _u = createGroup OPFOR createUnit [selectRandom _unitClasses, markerPos _x, [], 25, "NONE"];
} forEach _Markers;

B. Distribute a given number of units across the markers randomly:

private _unitClasses = ["class1", "class2", "classN"]; //Change to use the classes you want to use.
private _numUnits = 66; //This can changed to read from params or be random or w/e.

private _markerTemp = +_Markers; //Make a copy of _Markers
private "_x";
for "_i" from 1 to _numUnits do {
 	//Delete a marker from the temp list at random.
	_x = _markerTemp deleteAt floor random count _markerTemp;

//Create the unit
	private _u = createGroup OPFOR createUnit [selectRandom _unitClasses, markerPos _x, [], 25, "NONE"];

//Out of markers?
	if(count _markerTemp == 0) then {
      	//Yes, make another copy
		_markerTemp = +_Markers;
	};
};

Edited by mrcurry
Misunderstood OP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Edit:

{

_group = creategroup east;

} foreach _Markers;

Maybe I'm stupid, but i did it like this all the time... Who knows.. 

• Like 2

On 8/3/2019 at 3:53 AM, mrcurry said:

While it's a little unclear what exactly you want here's my contribution. Nvm I got it.

Separating the spawn of groups and units can be beneficial if you want to, say, do a caching system. Use the groups as holders for the group data and units are spawned only when players get close. However keep in mind that you can run into the 255 group limit pretty quickly if you do big missions so maybe it's not the best way.

If that's what you want you really just access the group you just created using getVariable and the same variable format as when you created the group. The variable name can be gotten from the marker.

//Creating groups, note that we also store which marker the group belongs to do a cheap lookup when the time is right.
{
	private _grp = createGroup east;
	_grp setVariable ["marker", _x];
} forEach _Markers;

//Creating units (can be done at any point later)
private _grp = missionNamespace getVariable [format ["grp%1", _x], grpNull];
if(!isNull _grp) then {
	private _u = _grp createUnit ["Class", markerPos (_grp getVariable "marker"), [], 25, "NONE"];
};

Note: If you have no need to delay the spawn of the units until later then it's just wasted CPU cycles to do the above. If so just go with w/e floats your boat from below.

A. To put one unit at each marker just do what's been suggested:

{
} forEach _Markers;

B. Distribute a given number of units across the markers randomly:

private _unitClasses = ["class1", "class2", "classN"]; //Change to use the classes you want to use.
private _numUnits = 66; //This can changed to read from params or be random or w/e.

private _markerTemp = +_Markers; //Make a copy of _Markers
private "_x";
for "_i" from 1 to _numUnits do {
 	//Delete a marker from the temp list at random.
	_x = _markerTemp deleteAt floor random count _markerTemp;

//Create the unit

//Out of markers?
	if(count _markerTemp == 0) then {
      	//Yes, make another copy
		_markerTemp = +_Markers;
	};
};

Thanks for the help. I actually didn't know you could create the group and the unit in the same line like that. I ended up using this:

{
} forEach _Markers;

It works perfectly, thanks again!