Fly Tanoa Air is a flight SIM-u-LITE scenario with dynamic missions and aircraft features.

What's new: (changelog)
Steam Workshop

Flying aircraft in ArmA III is difficult. It takes a lot of practice. Right when you think you've got it, you realize how much more
there is to learn. Just dropping an aircraft into an empty scenario is fine to start but that gets boring and, as a pilot in training, you need something
more compelling to keep logging more hours. Fly Tanoa Air provides a fun and re-playable scenario in which to practice your skills.

438077-1562337567.jpg
This download is compatible with APEX game version 1.7 and higher

Drive Link Download : Fly Tanoa Air 0050
Check out the new mission maker designed with the FTA framework

New Live readMe file

Check out the [FTA] guidebook, FTA Dev Topic

Challenges

Spoiler

hint: you can abort the current challenge using the Abort Challenge action

Ferry passengers

Industry and tourism dominate Tanoa's economy which means a constant supply of passengers to ferry from place to place. Pick up a passenger at any airport and deliver them to their destination to earn $100.

Deliver cargo
Supply routes are a challenge to maintain. Sometimes emergency medical supplies and food get lost or mis-routed and must be delivered from the central airport. Pick up a crate at Aeroport de Tanoa and deliver it to people in need to earn $100.

Off-airport Cargo
Some cargo deliveries (and all illicit smuggling) happen off-airport at remote bush locations. These landing sites are much more challenging than airport deliveries. Practice off-airport landings by selecting radio codes 007-009 or by visiting Old Man’s Farm (000) or Playa Island (006).

Aerobatics: Ring Challenges

Follow the rings in 4 separate challenges and checkout some of Tanoa's most beautiful scenery while conducting a whiteknuckle aerobatic routine.

Fly with the Chad

Chad is sort of arrogant and conceited but he’s the best friend you have. Use the dedicated “CHAD” button on the Flight Control Menu to begin formation flying with Chad. He’ll tell you when you’re doing a good job and he’ll also advise if you make a mistake. While flying with Chad you have three extra controls on the Action Menu; Chad Speed, Chad Altitude, and Chad Path. Speed and altitude have three stages and you can toggle Chad’s current flight path between two separate courses. 

Emergencies:

Assist the Coastguard

The waters surrounding Tanoa are popular for fishing and boating. Inevitably something will go wrong. Scan radio channels for potential rescue missions and help conduct the search.

Locate the car

Local police are in pursuit of a vehicle. Help them find the car before the bad guy gets away.

Engine Trouble
It’s possible for Tanoa 2-6 to develop an engine malfunction mid-flight. If you have the Diagnostic skill (or positive karma) you will be able to perform Engine Diagnostics.

Features

Spoiler

Airport Services
Earn money every time you complete a cargo delivery or passenger transport and use your earnings to pay for fuel, repairs, needful equipment and new paint.

Bad Luck

Watch out for bad luck which can cause unexpected conditions to appear at any time.

Complete positive tasks to earn karma points which can come in handy when things go wrong.

Weather

Utilizes Sil's dynamic weather system for 100% randomized weather conditions which update periodically throughout the mission.

Tanoa 2-6

The aging bush plane just got a fresh coat of olive drab paint and an ATC mandated radar warning system. Also, your plane comes installed with several features available on the Flight Control Menu. See: Control Description below. Remember you get a free paint job at the beginning of the scenario so customize your aircraft before you turn the engine on.

Mobile

Your Mobile phone has many uses. Mount it on the cockpit window for an impromptu GPS system or switch on the camera for that selfie-style live-stream. Otherwise pay attention because you might receive an important message.

Approach Vector

Located 3 km from the destination airstrip at an altitude of ~250 meters, the approach vector allows pilots to easily align with the runway for landing. In FTA the approach vector works like a gun-sight. Line Tanoa 2-6 up with the approach marker and the destination then, when you pass the approach marker, you'll be inline with the runway and at the correct altitude to begin descent. Completing this process will achieve landing clearance for the destination runway and disable the AWS.

Ground Crew

At each airport terminal a ground crew awaits to repair any damage and refuel Tanoa 2-6 when necessary. They're such an efficient crew you'll never even see them working! A system prompt will display when damage or low fuel is detected.

Smuggler

Instead of delivering the food, medicine and weapons in the cargo containers to the people who need them, steal it for the old man and begin a life of as the notorious smuggler. Smugglers don’t benefit from karma but they tend to make a lot more money. From this point on you’ll only deliver cargo to illicit bush-sites. Be warned this lifestyle is not for the faint of heart.

Helicopter

A fully featured helicopter is now available. To switch your vehicle use the “Helicopter” action in the menu. This selection is permanent and must be made at the beginning of the scenario. Taxi out of the hangar at AdT to confirm airplane. Some things change when the helicopter is activated. For example, the Warning System only measures altitude and Approach Vectors re-position above the landing pad.

Control Description

Spoiler

Flight Control Menu and AI Auto-pilot

The Flight Control Menu is accessed by the action "Menu". This menu displays the camera feeds and provides an interface to operate various features.

Tanoa 2-6 will engage a simple auto-pilot when you open the Flight Control Menu. The auto-pilot can be a little flaky but it will keep you in the air. Like a real auto-pilot it is best to engage this feature during level and stable flight within the current flight envelope.

Radio Codes

Call any control tower for landing clearance using radio codes. Use the radio to assign a destination by entering the appropriate code. For example: Aeroport de Tanoa is radio code: 001 for airport 1, and there 5 airports.

Mobile

Use the action "Phone" to put the phone away and bring it out again. Use the action "Phone function" to change the current display. To dismiss a message use action "Phone function", however messages will automatically clear the next time the phone display updates. The phone will also display breaking news updates when appropriate.

WEAT

The weather button advises current conditions: "Clear skies", "Weather Watch in Effect", "Severe Weather Warning".

CAMS

Change live-stream camera from wing-tip, cabin view and Chad-cam.

MODE

Toggle live-stream camera NV mode.

ADS-B

The ADS-B button toggles ATC communications on/off. ATC updates traffic vectors and advised of nearby aircraft.

Abort

Abort the current challenge.

FARE

If you're at an airport terminal this button will collect a new passenger. Press this button again when you reach your destination terminal to drop off the passenger. (Note: If you have to divert to a different airport due to engine problems or weather, you will be able to disembark your passenger at the new terminal. They won't be happy about it but at least they're alive.)

SCAN

Scan the emergency band for emergencies

LITE

Toggle the cabin light ON/OFF

CHAD

Toggle formation flying with Chad ON/OFF

While in the presence of Chad you have 3 extra controls in the action menu: Chad Speed, Chad Altitude and Chad Path. Chad speed will toggle between "Normal", "Fast", "Extreme". Chad Altitude will toggle "Normal", "Limit", "Low". Chad Path will toggle between flight path 1 and 2. When reassigning a path, Chad will have to reach the current WP before the new flight path will engage.

HINT
Receive hints about your current task whenever you press the button.

Spoiler

438077-1565654612.png

438077-1566760251.jpg
438077-1565654360.png

438077-1567190636.jpg

438077-1565654520.png

438077-1565654458.png

438077-1566617705.jpg

438077-1564068160.png

Videos (new):

Spoiler

Bush Landing at the Research Facility

Bush Landing at the Beach Bar

Aerobatics Routine

Now with 100% more helicopters!

New Cockpit Features

THANKS to everybody at:
Bohemia Forums
Check out our Patreon page Ascina Illustration & Design
ArmA 3 Nexus mirror

"Any pilot who does not at least privately consider himself the best in the business... is in the wrong business."

APL-ND.png
Arma Public License No Derivatives (APL-ND)

Edited by wogz187
Version Update
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much @wogz for sharing and congratulations for the release !  :thumbs-up:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

During the last round of play-testing I made a mistake with the SCAN function. The new file is uploaded and now includes the female version.

• Like 2

Congrats. Did a little flying tonight. Great work. Will report any issues or ideas after a few more flights.

• Thanks 1

@Bukain,

Isn't it "fly Air Force"? 

From the readMe,

Spoiler

Q: How does this help me to be a better pilot in ARMA III?
A: FTA will help you understand several important aspects of ARMA III flight. You will, take-off and land until it becomes second nature, monitor throttle percent and altitude, acquire both fixed and stationary targets, follow wide and tight flight paths, fly in formation, deal with emergencies and most of all you will learn spatial awareness of your aircraft. Tanoa 2-6 is not a hundred million dollar aircraft affixed with the latest in long-range sensors, FLIR and a 20, 000 + horsepower engine. Tanoa 2-6 is an old bush plane and to fly her well you have to become one with the aircraft. You have feel like the control surfaces are an extention of yourself. When you achieve this transcendence all becomes clear and, in the long run, you will be a better fighter pilot because of it.

Check out: JET TOYS

Have fun!

• Like 2

@wogz187 I'm trying to play the version that includes the females but I get a missing mods error when I try to start the mission:

You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.FEMALE_jeanshoodie, FEMALE_jeans, female_jeans_shortsleeve_shortsleeve

I got the uniforms and heads mods from the Steam Workshop first, then tried the Armaholic link but with no luck.

8 minutes ago, beno_83au said:

@wogz187 I'm trying to play the version that includes the females but I get a missing mods error when I try to start the mission:

I got the uniforms and heads mods from the Steam Workshop first, then tried the Armaholic link but with no luck.

The mod folders look like: @Identizee_V2, and @ARMA 3 females. The first one is the heads/textures and the second one is more heads/outfits. I think that's how it works.

Hope that helps.

Have fun!

Cheers, I'll have another look a bit later. So far I've done a little bit of flying and have a few points:

1. Some form of volume control, aka ear plugs, would be nice. Maybe I'd be in the minority, but I always run some form of fadeSound when I'm in aircraft. I've got hearing damage and bringing the volume down keeps things bearable.

2. I'm note sure if it's my throttle (I tried without and still had this happen), but when I open the MENU while on the ground the plane starts to speed up.

3. After starting a stolen car mission I went into external view for the first time and saw a floodlight attached to my plane and sticking out of the bottom of it.

4. The abort button in MENU could do with a "Confirm abort" button or something similar. I thought it was a button to abort the current mission 😂 

Liking the concept so far though. The no HUD/vehicle display touch is nice.

Edit: One more. An ILS would be nice for the night landings, but I like a challenge lol.

• Thanks 2

@beno_83au

Thanks for play-testing a bit. I really appreciate it.

1. Some form of volume control, aka ear plugs, would be nice. Maybe I'd be in the minority, but I always run some form of fadeSound when I'm in aircraft. I've got hearing damage and bringing the volume down keeps things bearable.

Do the jets do this? I think they do. I feel like after my jet engine fires up about 5 seconds later the sound dims. Like that? I'm sure that is do-able.

2. I'm note sure if it's my throttle (I tried without and still had this happen), but when I open the MENU while on the ground the plane starts to speed up.

I know what you mean. I don't know what to do about it. The "AI auto-pilot" is not my design, it's just what happens when you open a GUI while piloting. I desperately want to be able to control that but cannot find anything about it. I don't know what function is even at play. Ideally this is replaced by an actual auto-pilot and whatever phantom function controls the plane when the GUI is open will get removed completely.

3. After starting a stolen car mission I went into external view for the first time and saw a floodlight attached to my plane and sticking out of the bottom of it.

"It's like duct-taping a construction lamp to the hood of your plane".
I know. I have a topic about this but there's no joy. The problem: Created lights lag and jitter when attached to moving objects-- faster object = worse. The solution: Attach a world-model that has a light source attached. The new problem is the world model attached to the light. I'm all ears for a solution to this one. Also I considered restricting the 3rd person view for the same reason we lost the HUD, immersion.

4. The abort button in MENU could do with a "Confirm abort" button or something similar. I thought it was a button to abort the current mission 😂 

Agreed but every other thing you mentioned is a higher priority.

Liking the concept so far though. The no HUD/vehicle display touch is nice.

Thanks. And thanks again for the feedback.

Edit: One more. An ILS would be nice for the night landings, but I like a challenge lol.

The Fly Tanoa Air Company is barely making enough money to repay the loan on the ATC mandated Radar Warning System and you want a fancy landing system, too!?

• Like 2

Tragedy struck the Tanoa Archipelago today as local hero pilot dies in crash,

He'll be remembered in our hearts forever.

SITREP:
While conducting a routine passenger transport from La Rochelle Aerodrome to Saint George Airstrip Tanoa 2-6, a local bush plane, was forced to divert due to terminal fuel leak.

This was survivable. I got anxious. In hindsight we should have kept the near airport about 3 km off the left wing. Once in that position, parallel with the airstrip, we could have rode out the rest of our airspeed and conducted a slow turn back toward the airstrip while descending. Gotta keep cool even when the whole screen goes black.

Have fun!

Edited by wogz187
but seriously be careful!
  • Like 4

Concerning the flood light hanging out of the bottom of the plane, you may be able to use create a lightpoint to achieve the same thing. I've done it to light up and area, but I've never done it to simulate a spot light. Not sure if it would work that way.

When in a plane: no fuel = no hope

When it comes to Arma that is. Unless you are really lucky and have somewhere to land. With a chopper you can autorotate safely to the ground but with a plane not much can be done. That is because you hit the top of a tree? Boom! You hit a rock? Boom! You hit a fence? Oh man that can even result in a nuclear explosion!!! Once I was piloting a chopper and the rear wheel touched a very short stone wall when landing. Well we all blew up naturally.. In the water you can autorotate safely though. If you pay attention to your speed and all. Not possible with a plane however since you cannot bring it to a complete halt. Have not tried it with a plane to be honest but that is most likely the case due to Arma physics.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

@beno_83au,

Concerning the flood light hanging out of the bottom of the plane, you may be able to use create a lightpoint to achieve the same thing. I've done it to light up and area, but I've never done it to simulate a spot light. Not sure if it would work that way.

That was the first thing I did. It's a total mess. It was actually a pretty cool effect, like flying into a wormhole, but obviously not what we're going for. The world-model light was a work-around for the lightpoint lagging.

• Like 2

@beno_83au, @JohnKalo,

A few changes,

1) Opening the menu while on the ground will shut the engine down to prevent the phantom pilot taking over. It works well.
2) Lamp model issue: I restricted 3rd person. OR we could also turn cabin light off at switch to 3rd person (it's unnecessary).
3) The "TUNE" button functionality has been moved to radio channels. Now you can choose any of the airports as a final destination.
4) Replaced "TUNE" with "WEAT". The weather button advises current conditions: "Clear skies", "Weather Watch in Effect", "Severe Weather Warning".

5) The entire mod is going to be expanded to include Altis. This will lead to a module with the necessary compositions and scripts to Fly (any) Air!

6) A basic GPS tablet display (WIP)
438077-1565122296.png

• Like 4

What's new:
1) A mobile phone you can stick to the cockpit window. The phone can display GPS, a selfie camera, lock screen, help and incoming messages.
2) Stall redesign. Stalls and bad luck are managed differently. Be careful.
3) New cameras: Cabin-view, wing-tip and Chad-cam (to the extreme!)
4) Airport Select: Use radio commands to select any airport as your destination.
5) The "HELP" button on the Flight Control Menu will display the radio codes for airports on your mobile.
6) "WEAT" the weather button displays current weather conditions.
7) Tonnes of minor fixes, quality of life improvements and optimization.

*Removed FEMALE version*

• Like 3

The new file was going to be a little patch for the previous version (beta0002) but instead we skipped right ahead to the next, next version.

(FTA beta0003) <-- Latest

1) Tonnes more fixes, quality of life improvements and optimization. Pretty much a complete redesign (albeit mostly invisible to the player).
2) Several contingencies to ensure each challenge and mission will progress as expected.
3) More polish on the Mobile system.
4) The Dev files are better organized (in folders) and all the in game assets are organized in layers for easy composition creation.

5) A major Easter-egg.

6) Chad's flight path is fixed 100%. He now has 2 flight paths and the player has "Chad Controls" in the action menu to change Chad's speed, altitude and flight path while following.

Check out the new cockpit features,

• Like 2

A YouTube user brought it to my attention that "Bush Pilot" is not an appropriate theme because bush pilots land in the bush. He's right. Although some of the airfields around Tanoa are dodgy, they are proper airstrips with a radio tower and all. So, next up, bush landings! This will finally answer how to make cargo delivery different than passenger delivery.

Expect some seriously hairy landings coming soon...

Have fun! 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, wogz187 said:

7 minutes ago, wogz187 said:

coming soon...

10 minutes ago, wogz187 said:

soon...

My landings are hairy enough as it is!

Keep it up.

• Like 1

Location scouting for potential bush landing spots was fun and interesting. This will be a significant challenge and will require an approach vector just like regular airports. As you'll see in the video some terraforming will be required and some set-piece to make it feel like a place-- some thankful NPCs, perhaps.

Landing at a farm. Landing might be an overstatement but we survived.

Beach Landing. It was rough for sure but we even took off again,

Have fun!

Edit: @Maff, pointed out that LoW DLC is required for the current version and I didn't realize (the helicopter on the tarmac at AdT). I'll replace that model and double check for anything else like that. Thanks again Maff!

Edited by wogz187
Does my resume say "detail oriented"? If so I'm beginning to doubt...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wogz187 said:

A YouTube user brought it to my attention that "Bush Pilot" is not an appropriate theme because bush pilots land in the bush. He's right. Although some of the airfields around Tanoa are dodgy, they are proper airstrips with a radio tower and all. So, next up, bush landings! This will finally answer how to make cargo delivery different than passenger delivery.

Have fun! 

I was the one that commented on your video. 

Your idea of adding off airport landings is pretty interesting, and could prove quite challenging.

I've used these planes as bush planes, they also have float planes, which could add some more options for you mod.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19746

I don't know if this will interest you or not, but there was someone (feint) that was developing a proper bush plane. I don't think he ever did anything with it, you may want to check out his work, maybe even see if you could work something out to use his planes.

Here's a link to a screenshot of his plane.  

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1312922882

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@stburr91,

I was the one that commented on your video. 

Yes, sir.

I've used these planes as bush planes, they also have float planes, which could add some more options for you mod.

I appreciate the links, those big tires look useful and the sea-plane would be great. Non-vanilla game assets are outside of the current scope however. We already lost our lovely female co-pilot.

It's great but integrating new assets is scary.
E54BF9C7A630B51C30E164EA912215677E0827A0

Thanks,

Have fun!

• Like 2

@stburr91, @JohnKalo, @beno_83au, @Maff, @kremator, @typhoontiger, @zagor64bz, @GEORGE FLOROS GR
After trying a few times it's apparent that off airport landings require a lot of practice. Thankfully the grumpy old man has offered up his farm as an impromptu training grounds for just such practice.

"Old Man's Farm" is airport six. Except it isn't an airport. Take a look around the property there are multiple paths to landing but otherwise the farm works just like all the other airports.

To begin delivering cargo for the old man simply steal a shipment from AdT and deliver it to the old man's farm. After that you will initiate cargo shipments exclusively from the old man and deliver to old man destinations; all of which are off airport. These illicit "Bush sites" have names like Mountain Peak, Beach Bar, and Remote Village. Bush landings are super-difficult but totally do-able.

Old man missions are the "Boss fight" of [FTA] Coming Soon!

Have fun!

• Like 5