madrussian

My 0xC0000005 STATUS ACCESS VIOLATION error nightmare (somehow related to IFA3)

Hi all,

I'm getting crash with 0xC0000005 STATUS ACCESS VIOLATION under very specific conditions and could use some help thinking through solutions.

The problem happens for me when playing my dynamic mission with certain factions selected, specifically IFA3 factions.  (In my mission, you select the factions you want to play with at the beginning, which are scanned from the config.)  I've never had this crash playing with non-IFA3 factions.

So yes, various IFA3 faction selection combinations can cause it but one in particular makes it happen much faster:

Player Faction: Fallschirmjager - Sicily

Secondary Resistance Faction: Fallschirmjager - Battle Gear

Support Equipment Faction: Sturmtroopers

Civilian Faction: 40s Civilians

Enemy Faction: US 2nd Ranger Battalion

Additional Enemy Vehicles #1: US Tank Troops

Additional Enemy Vehicles #1: US Army

Mission usually takes about 50 minutes to play (or less), and the Crash occurs seemingly randomly usually about 30-40 minutes in.

Crash does not seem to occur in a particular place in my mission code (based on inserting hundreds of diag_log commands).

In SP crash is frequent but on DS crash is pretty much an absolute certainty (Client or Server will crash, one or the other).  So when testing this I mostly run my mission on DS, so if I come across something that helps, it will be obvious (due to lack of crash).

When reading about 0xC0000005 STATUS ACCESS VIOLATION error online I noticed someone saying when they switched from a 1920x1080 display to a 2560x1440 display, they started getting this error.  My monitor is 2560x1440 (165hz capable with G-Sync, etc), so of course I normally run in this resolution.  So I tried playing in 1920x1080 and crash hasn't happened yet (but I only tried that way a couple times).  Playing in 1920x1080 is not a long term solution for me, as all my displays are 2560x1440, and importantly seems likely people playing my mission in 2560x1440 with IFA3 factions are likely getting these crashes too (considering I'm getting these crashes on at least 2 machines).

I've messed with A3 Launcher settings to see if that changes anything, with very limited success.  I normally run Platform at 64-bit, but I tried running at 32-bit and this does not help (game still crashes).  I have 16GB of physical system RAM and 8GB of physical VRAM.  If I set Memory Allocator to "Windows allocator (system)", System Memory Limit to 10240, Video Memory Limit to 8192, and enabled Large-page Support, (and play on fresh PC boot in non-windowed mode and never alt-tabbing out of the game as precautions), this seems to help and I can usually get an entire 2560x1440 playthrough done on DS (which is pretty astounding at this point).  But here's the kicker: On the subsequent DS playthough (played directly afterwards without leaving game), it crashes with 0xC0000005 STATUS ACCESS VIOLATION every time (not right away, but much sooner than normal).

During my mission development, I encountered 100s, perhaps over 1000 difficult issues, some of them complete and utter brain-benders.  Through force of will and persistence, I solved them all (or at least understood and mitigated them).  This issue is different (as it's a generic memory error), and has me totally flummoxed.  (Plus with this, it's hard to test various remedies b/c basically you have to play mission all the way though and win which takes an hour each and every time, to know if each new remedy worked or not.)

Questions:

1. First and foremost, anyone have insight on preventing this crash?  (Btw - I kept all my crash logs: rpt, bidmp, and mdmp for each crash.)

2. Anyone aware of script commands that can cause 0xC0000005 STATUS ACCESS VIOLATION (presumably if used improperly)?

3. Curious, does 0xC0000005 STATUS ACCESS VIOLATION mean that another program is stomping on A3's allocated memory, or the other way around?

4. I'd like to disable IFA3 scripts, to see what the culprit is (my code vs IFA3 code vs something else).  Any way to do this?  Even if it's hard and/or would involve me creating a giant test addon, I'm game. 👍

Thanks for reading.  I welcome any and all help, even simple things I may have missed. 🙂

• Thanks 1

> disable IFA3 scripts

remove all ww2_core_f_xxx.pbos and the ww2_core_c_eventhandlers.pbo

maybe a few more, or the remaining errors should be possible click away

• Thanks 1

@.kju

Good deal, I will disable those and give it a go.  Only thing is... I took a quick look though and I don't have "ww2_core_c_eventhandlers.pbo", either in @IFA3_AIO_LITE\addons or @IFA3_LITE\addons.  In both those folders, the files present skip from "ww2_core_c_ca_cutsceneanimations_c.pbo" to "ww2_core_c_i44_animation_c.pbo".  In fact, did a search within File Explorer (in both dirs) on "eventhandler" and it comes back with "No items match your search".  Should that file be in there?

Please upload crash report (RPT+mdmp, you can create it in Arma Launcher) and send link here. I'll take a look on probably monday.

Roger that, I uploaded a whopping 36 sets of crash files to my Google Drive (all caused by this same issue as far as I can tell).  Sent you the link via PM.

(Btw - I don't see where to create report in Arma Launcher, but regardless some of my crash files were from before I reinstalled Windows and A3, so I uploaded all of them.)

Thanks, hope you guys can fix it. 🙂

• Like 1

I've been getting this error when playing a bunch of different scenarios so it's not your scripting. 🙂

Also the only "solution" I found was this discussion on steam but it didn't work for me.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Hi all, still getting this crash and I've tried everything I can think of.  At this point I've generated probably over 100-150 crashes trying different things.

19 hours ago, MiniMeat said:

I've been getting this error when playing a bunch of different scenarios so it's not your scripting. 🙂

Good deal.  Yes, I've come to this conclusion as well.  The crash only happens when playing with IFA3 vehicles.  Thankfully, it's super repeatable when playing my mission though.  We should be able to get to the bottom of this!

For me, it happens on all 4 PCs I have access to (my 3 PCs plus my dad's), and all these PCs have updated drivers (inc video, sound, chipset, etc).  (Even re-installed Windows, Steam, and A3 on one of these machines and crash still happens.  And btw - All these PCs have unique hardware, as I built each one years apart.)  Game crashes virtually every time, whether I'm playing in SP, HS, or DS.  In MP games, sometimes it's a client (or more than one clients crashing closely together), and sometimes it's the server.  Often the sound freaks out (1980s modem-style) or goes out completely shortly before the crash.  Only crashes when I have IFA3 US armored vehicles selected.  <- 99% sure of this aspect.  This includes variants of these US vehicles, including the Shermans found on the Russian side.

19 hours ago, MiniMeat said:

Also the only "solution" I found was this discussion on steam but it didn't work for me.

Good find, ok here's the claim from that thread:

[Thread in IFA3_AIO_LITE section and titled "0xC0000005 - ACCESS_VIOLATION"]

My game has been getting crash since the May 23rd update.

I found the problem.
The tank cannon shot sound is causing 0xC0000005 - ACCESS_VIOLATION crash.
Muting all sounds fixed this error.

I would like to test this in two ways:

1. Create a test mission with a bunch of US tanks.  Without moving any tanks, fire the main cannons a bunch and see if it crashes.  I'll try this and report back.

2. Create an addon that replaces these cannon sounds with vanilla sounds.  Play my mission and see if it crashes.  @.kju  Would you kindly point me to which addon I should look in to modify/eliminate these sounds?

Btw - Kju has been super helpful via PM and IFA3 discord trying to help sort this out.  Many thanks!

@Dedmen and @Dwarden Thanks for looking into this.  @Dwarden Per your PM request, I made it crash using the Profiling Branch (1.94.145986) and uploaded those crash files too, and sent you the link (some time ago).  Curious what you guys found?

I'm 100% sure there is a bug to be found/fixed here.  Really hoping we can solve it (because it's greatly affecting my game experience atm, starting to moderately sap my A3 creativity, etc), thanks! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay, I have nothing interesting to add here just a confirmation that it happened for us once again. (I have no video that shows it...at least non that is not a meme video)

In one mission we used some tanks (two different once, can't remember which) and we had two people crashing. I did not, however I and one of those that crashed had a trip down memory lane as well by listening to modem sounds. (Though I can imagine that the cause might not have been IFA but JSRS (Happened before the recent JSRS updates) Dunno if OP used JSRS aswell)

So just saying that we had this issue aswell, about 2 or 3 month ago. 

Many Greetings
Moony

• Sad 2

Thanks for the reports of this crash.  It's encouraging to hear people are experiencing IFA3 tank sound related crashes, though I feel for you guys.

28 minutes ago, Moon_chilD said:

In one mission we used some tanks (two different once, can't remember which) and we had two people crashing. I did not, however I and one of those that crashed had a trip down memory lane as well by listening to modem sounds. (Though I can imagine that the cause might not have been IFA but JSRS (Happened before the recent JSRS updates) Dunno if OP used JSRS aswell)

I'm familiar with JSRS, but I've not tried it personally.  My mission however does use radioChannelCreate and customChat (both on a regular basis) to mimic sideChat and groupChat, so that IFA3 units can receive these messages too (IFA3 units being radio-less).

We are only aware of US tanks causing issues. There have been single reports about German tanks, and SdKfz251, but nothing we could reproduce or had others report.

• Like 1

Maybe I find time to look into it this evening, doubt it tho 😕
I need to think of this, when I have free time.
Often when I check the forums tho I'm busy tho :U

I think I didn't look into the crashreports yet.

On 9/1/2019 at 4:21 PM, madrussian said:

I made it crash using the Profiling Branch (1.94.145986) and uploaded those crash files too

That helps me too, thanks.

Actually I have time today, I'll finish my forum/discord moderation run, and picking up all the slack left over my vacation and see if I can get it done today.

Good deal, very curious what you find. 🙏

I added the Profiling Branch crash files to the same folder at the link I provided originally (back when Dwarden requested).  Look for "Crashes_Machine_2_Profiling_1.94.145986.7z".  OK, sending you the link via PM again just in case.

If you guys need any more sets of crash files, they are very easy to whip up.  Just ask and you shall receive. 🙂

080719_1_RemoteDS_ServerCrash

You actually aren't running the latest profiling build (v02 instead of v03), but that's exactly the one I have so I'm happy with that....

Actually no. Why do you have a "arma3server_x64.exe" called "Arma3_x64.exe" ??

Actually it's also not arma3server profiling, what is that arma binary?

no idea what you have there, neither perf/prof server x64, nor client prof x64.

Can't look at the dump without knowing what binary you launched.

Edit:

Yeah no idea what Arma exe you are using there. It is version 1.94.145.986 which is v2 perf/prof, but it's checksum doesn't match any of the x64 binaries.
arma3server_x64_profiling_194_145986_v02.exe is checksum 0203C32B, whatever you have loaded there is 028AF1F2

you binary is also 44MB big, the server binaries are all just 32MB.
The image size exactly matches arma3client_x64_performance_194_145986_v02.exe, but the checksum is still different, and why would you even run a client performance build if you are saying you are running profiling on a dedicated server...

And if it's a remote dedicated server, why are you launching from "common\Arma 3\Arma3_x64.exe" instead of "common\Arma 3 Server\arma3server_x64.exe" ?

I can't explain what's going on here, maybe you are really running arma3 client x64 perf build, even though you said it's server and prof, and you are running it from steam branch, which has exact same build numbers as the dropbox build but is somehow still different.

Well my time for today is up, wasted half an hour on nothing 🤔

OK let's get it sorted out.

1 hour ago, Dedmen said:

080719_1_RemoteDS_ServerCrash

So I ran this on Aug 7, 2019.  "RemoteDS" tells me I was running a DS game on two different machines.  In this case, one machine was the client and the other was the server.  (I have a number of other crash file sets I marked "LocalDS".  In those cases, one machine ran both client and server.) 

For this particular crash (080719_1_RemoteDS_ServerCrash, the one you have before you):

To get to profiling branch, on both client and server machines, I did this:

1. Opened Steam, right clicked on Arma 3, selected Properties.
  2. In resulting "Arma 3 Properties" window, opened BETAs tab, and entered beta access code "CautionSpecialProfilingAndTestingBranchArma3" (which I got on here on Arma 3 "Steam Branches" page).
  3. This resulted in new "profiling - Performance Profiling Build" option, which I selected.
  4. Watched Steam do it's downloading of new Arma 3 version.  Waited until the downloading was complete.
  5. Left BETAS tab, then checked BETAS tab again and verified "profiling - Performance Profiling Build" was selected.

To launch Arma 3 on Server machine, I did this:

(Note I have several copies of Arma 3 on several different Steam accounts.)

1. Opened Arma 3 Launcher.
  2. On Launcher's Parameters tab, selected "Server" option.
  3. Pressed the Play button.
  4. On Server Window (the small DS window), verified game version (in window's title bar).  It appeared to match what Dwarden had asked for.

To launch Arma 3 on Client machine (a separate machine & Steam account), I did this:

1. Opened Arma 3 Launcher.
  2. On Launcher's Parameters tab, deselected "Server" option.
  3. Pressed the Play button.
  4. On main game screen, verified game version (in lower right-hand corner).  It appeared to match what Dwarden had asked for.

^ This is always how I run my DS (again possible b/c I have multiple copies of the game).

Spoiler

[Note that sometimes (not this time though), I run Client and Server both on the same machine both using same Steam account.  In that case, I have to use a different Profile for each instance of the game, otherwise I get some warning or error about profiles.]

Then on client machine, I joined server machine's game, played my mission, and got the crash.  This time the Server crashed.

Then on server machine, I collected the crash files and zipped them up for you.

Hoping that explains things.  Do you have a usable "profiling" set of crash files?  Anything else I can do to help?

Again, I would genuinely like to solve this (and not just for my own sake, as others are affected as well).  Thanks again @Dedmen and company for your help. 🙂

Edit:

Also if it will help to simplify things, I can easily just run the "profiling - Performance Profiling Build" in SP, get the crash, and submit those crash files.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, madrussian said:
  • Opened Arma 3 Launcher.
  • On Launcher's Parameters tab, selected "Server" option.
  • Pressed the Play button.

Arma launcher only launches client, you are launching arma client with the -server option. Not the arma dedicated server binary.

I expected when you're talking about a "DS"/Dedicated server that you are actually launching a dedicated server, not a Arma client with server start parameter :upside:

So you indeed got the profiling build from steam which may be different from the dropbox.

3 hours ago, madrussian said:

This resulted in new "profiling - Performance Profiling Build" option, which I selected.

Afaik that is performance, not profiling.

Yep just checked, that is indeed performance build, not profiling as you said.

Atleast now I know which build you are using, problem is that your last crash on performance build was with a old version from steam that I cannot get anymore, I can only get the dropbox version, which is for whatever reason different despite being the exact same version number and type.

So because I cannot get that file anymore I can't do anything with that crashdump.

I need to have the matching arma binary to that crashdump on hand.

Perfect would be if you'd run the profiling build from dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/sh/582opsto4mmr8d8/AACcclQrWyGiXbeuIdcN1gsDa/194perf/perf03?dl=0&amp;subfolder_nav_tracking=1

Good deal, all that makes sense.

1 hour ago, Dedmen said:

Ok I'm willing to swap out exes or whatever is necessary.  But before I try that (which I've never done before)... quick question:

Assuming I'm looking to make it crash again in SP (which should be pretty easy at this point, as repeatable as this crash is)...

I just changed back to the "profiling - Performance Profiling Build" option, and noticed for the first time a file called "arma3profiling_x64.exe" in my Arma 3 dir.  It is dated with today's date and time, indicating it was just downloaded.  Is this the latest "profiling" exe and can I simply run from here?  -OR- Do I really need the exe from dropbox instead?  [If so will need a bit of help knowing which file to choose from dropbox and which file to (temporarily) replace & run in Arma 3 dir, so we can avoid another disconnect.]  Thanks again.

13 hours ago, madrussian said:

Is this the latest "profiling" exe and can I simply run from here

It is the latest profiling exe in the steam version yes. Problem is it seems like the steam version is different from dropbox even though it shouldn't be.

Easiest for me would be if you can make it crash using this https://www.dropbox.com/sh/582opsto4mmr8d8/AABFfwmKI5JOS2y9Huc6KlU7a/194perf/perf02?dl=0&amp;preview=arma3client_x64_profiling_194_145986_v02.7z&amp;subfolder_nav_tracking=1

You can replace your arma3_x64.exe with that.
But that's not the latest version, Dwarden would want a test with https://www.dropbox.com/sh/582opsto4mmr8d8/AACcclQrWyGiXbeuIdcN1gsDa/194perf/perf03?dl=0&amp;preview=arma3client_x64_profiling_194_145999_v03.7z&amp;subfolder_nav_tracking=1

or just the latest version from steam.

OK, it took a bit but got a good crash for you on arma3client_x64_profiling_194_145986_v02.

Was having a bit of trouble getting it to crash in SP, so my dad and I fired up MP game and it crashed fairly quickly.  Here's specifically what I did (so hopefully there won't be any confusion):

Had 3 machines running.  Two Clients, one DS:

• Machine A = Client, running arma3client_x64_profiling_194_145986_v02 (renamed as arma3_x64.exe), launched from bat file (no launcher) & no BattleEye
  • Machine B = Client, running arma3client_x64_profiling_194_145986_v02 (renamed as arma3_x64.exe), launched from bat file (no launcher) & no BattleEye
  • Machine C = DS, running arma3server_x64_profiling_194_145986_v02.exe (renamed as arma3server_x64.exe), launched from bat file (no launcher) & no BattleEye

We played a couple times and lost, then on 3rd run Machine B (in this case my dad's PC) crashed with 0xC0000005 STATUS ACCESS VIOLATION (per status quo).

(Note- I noticed that when game crashes after being launched from bat file, you don't get the windows pop-up error upon crash saying "0xC0000005 STATUS ACCESS VIOLATION".  I had to look inside the rpt to verify the type of crash, which was indeed "C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION".  Also note time of the 3 crash files matched the time of the crash.)

@Dedmen, I uploaded the latest crash file set (per description above).  Please check PM for link, hope you find something & please let us know what you uncover!

@Dwarden, I hope to produce this crash on arma3client_x64_profiling_194_145999_v03 in the next few days.  Please stay tuned.

Thanks for looking into this guys. 🙂

Also noticed a few things while testing this:

1. When launching from batch file, crash still happens but seems like you get to play for a lot longer before it does.  (Hence I was having trouble getting it to crash quickly in SP.)
  2. When playing without BattleEye, everything seems way smoother & more responsive.  Never tried this until very recently.  I really like playing this way!
  3. Once it crashes, simply restarting A3 and playing again seems to result in fairly quick additional crashes on that particular PC.  Only reboot of PC that crashed seems to reset the quick(er) crashing.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, madrussian said:

I uploaded the latest crash file set (per description above)

Perfect! matching binary this time....

uhhmmm....... Crashed in a DirectX dll on sound processing, in a seperate thread.

That's not the same crash as the last ones.

Sound related, some sound processing like Reverb, Equalizer, Compressor, I think you can set these in Arma config with the "new" sound system right?

Arma was doing AI processing in the meantime, nothing related to sound.

I guess Arma somehow sent of a invalid sound effect to be processed, while that processed in a seperate thread Arma continued doing other things, and then the sound code in the thread crashed.

That's kinda hard to troubleshoot.. But as I said different crash location than the other reports that you sent, so probably just random luck hit a different problem.

• Thanks 2

Many thanks Dedmen for the analysis so far. 🙂

We played one more session tonight with a similar setup, and both clients crashed (first my main PC, then my dad's perhaps 8-10 minutes later).  Mind checking these too?

Again had 3 machines running.  Two Clients, one DS.  Ran the clients from launcher and used BatteEye this time to try to make crash happen faster, and seems it did.  Details:

• Machine A = Client, running arma3client_x64_profiling_194_145986_v02 (renamed as arma3_x64.exe), launched from Launcher with BattleEye
  • Machine B = Client, running arma3client_x64_profiling_194_145986_v02 (renamed as arma3_x64.exe), launched from Launcher with BattleEye
  • Machine C = DS, running arma3server_x64_profiling_194_145986_v02.exe (renamed as arma3server_x64.exe), launched from bat file (no launcher) with BattleEye turned on (via BattlEye = 1; in server.cfg)

OK, I uploaded both new sets of crash files.  I'll send you the new crash link info via PM again.  Hoping we can get to the bottom of this!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

090619_1_RemoteDS_ClientCrashOnDadPC

Same crash in audio pipeline 😕

Let's take some random guesses: USB Audio device? Unplugged/plugged in audio device on crash? Are your sound devices set to 44.1/48khz? I think Arma does 48khz internally? Not sure.

090619_1_RemoteDS_ClientCrashOnMyMainPC

Is different.

(Busy currently. I'll get back to this and edit my post)

Wow that's a throwback. That's a magazine reload crash which I already investigated back in July with Asmodeus.

That's actually why I made https://github.com/dedmen/ArmaFullDump to be able to see which magazine/ammo caused the crash

His crash was while a AI was reloading "LIB_5Rnd_792x57"

The magazine in memory somehow became invalid, even though the debugger shows it as completely fine. Your case seems to be the same, but I can't see which magazine it was about.

Crash happens when trying to remove the old now empty magazine from the gun.

It tries to check whether the magazine has 0 ammo left, because then it can just delete it.
While trying to get ammo though instead of calling a function of the magazine, it jumps into invalid memory. Because something apparently bricked the address of the magazine in the meantime.

I already talked to @Dwarden about this back in July, but I don't think a dev ever looked into that.

It should've jumped to 0x7FF7DA543780 but instead it ended up in 0x2EBA5788220
Total nonsense. And I don't really understand how that happens. Well I have some ideas but still doesn't make sense.
And even less sense that it really only happens with IFA3. Such a crash shouldn't be possible to be caused with config.

Does IFA3 do some scripted setAmmo tricks?

I assume a 5Rnd magazine really only has 5 ammo right?

uh..... wait a second..... Actually. 0x2EBA5788220 is a pointer to the string "a3\sounds_f\characters\human-sfx\p04\burning_2.wss"

While retrieving the ammo of the magazine currently in the weapon, it tried to jump and execute code at the location of a string.
Seems like somehow some pointers got mixed up. I don't think I can solve this without a BI dev. Actually I think a BI dev couldn't figure this out either, without being able to reproduce by himself.

The old magazine in the rifle seems to have had 5 rounds left in it. I assume it's the same ammo type as back in July.

The magazine structure is intact, it points to the right places. Everything should've worked beautifully, but it didn't. Why.

Actually profiling build could've messed with this. But that's kinda unlikely, why twice in the exact same spot but nowhere else..

Actually, I think this magazine stuff is not the problem, something else hijacked the game and made it call into invalid section of memory.

Actually, second thought. Something overwrites the return pointer on the stack. Such that after it successfully retrieved the ammo count, it returns into that invalid pointer.

............................. waaaaaaaaaaaat.. Did I just find.

On 9/6/2019 at 2:02 PM, Dedmen said:

Well, the register that should contain the returned ammo count (5) returns a pointer to a AI unit.... wat.

Now the puzzle pieces start to fit together.

On 9/6/2019 at 2:02 PM, Dedmen said:

uhhmmm....... Crashed in a DirectX dll on sound processing, in a seperate thread.

That's not the same crash as the last ones.

Sound related, some sound processing like Reverb, Equalizer, Compressor, I think you can set these in Arma config with the "new" sound system right?

Crashed in sound processing, while Arma was doing AI processing in the meantime?
Now we have a crash, with a AI unit currently being worked with by some code, and a string containing a soundpath accidentally being used as a assembly code address.

Seems like we are seeing both sides, of the same crash.

Man this is so friggin interesting. I have to look at that sound crash again.

Okey the latest sound crash was while the game was loading vehicle models from disk. Unlike the last one where audio processing was done.

The previous audio processing crash was while AI visibility calculations were going on. Probably all unrelated and there is some third unknown actor which breaks stuff.

Can you share more details about when the crash happens?

Can you reproduce with just CBA, CUP, IFA3? Can you reliably reproduce it? Such that a BI dev could too?

Can you provide instructions on how to reproduce?

• Thanks 2

Will chime in here since the dedicated server I have in use is occasionally crashing. Dedmen was kind to take a look into the issue back in July so I provided crash dumps from the then latest stable Arma 3 version 1.92.145639. What Dedmen found was along the lines he now typed (about the magazine stuff) in his latest reply to this thread.

Now the server is using the latest stable Arma 3 version 1.94.145977 and the (server) crashes still continue. Just for anyone's information there's been crashes on the 24th, 26th and 27th of August. Since then it's been quiet regarding crashes but that's most likely because of the fact that the server has been empty most of the time :)

Back in July when I was hunting a crash and the ensuing crash dumps to be sent Dedmen's way I actually had to play five hours straight for the crash to appear. But there's been occasions when the crash has happened after playing from ½ to 1 hour.

And then, what else to say.. well, I probably won't be much of help since I'm renting my server from a server provider and switching to other A3 branches is somewhat cumbersome task if not even impossible. Besides..where does one need some other branch than stable.. since afaik it's not like BI has provided any fixing attempts coming to 1.94.145977 and even the ensuing perf/prof updates. FYI my crash dump from July reached Dwarden but apparently that was from too an old build to be considered worthy of looking into.

• Like 1

the sound crash (that we are aware of) is coming from US tanks engine sounds - usually you hear a screeching sound first and a crash shortly after

@madrussian can provide more specifics and overall repro approach

• Like 1

@Dedmen Good detective work!

On 9/11/2019 at 8:52 AM, Dedmen said:

090619_1_RemoteDS_ClientCrashOnDadPC

Same crash in audio pipeline 😕

Let's take some random guesses: USB Audio device? Unplugged/plugged in audio device on crash? Are your sound devices set to 44.1/48khz? I think Arma does 48khz internally?

I do know my dad has onboard sound (not USB sound).  Not at his place currently, but I'll check khz next time I'm over there.

About unplugging/plugging in audio while playing... Are you saying this can sometimes cause immediate crash?  Or rather set the stage for a subsequent crash?  Also based on your analysis, do you suspect my dad's audio pipeline crashes in this case were related to the "IFA3 US tank sounds crashing" people are reporting?

090619_1_RemoteDS_ClientCrashOnMyMainPC

Is different.

Wow that's a throwback. That's a magazine reload crash which I already investigated back in July with Asmodeus.

That's actually why I made https://github.com/dedmen/ArmaFullDump to be able to see which magazine/ammo caused the crash

His crash was while a AI was reloading "LIB_5Rnd_792x57"

Let's pursue this!  If you make a special version "to be able to see which magazine/ammo caused the crash" like you did for him, I'll run it and we can be sure.

In the mean time I have two new crashes, these both in SP:

• Machine A in SP, running arma3client_x64_profiling_194_145986_v02 (renamed as arma3_x64.exe), launched from Launcher with BattleEye, running IFA3_LITE -> Crashed
  • Machine A in SP, running arma3client_x64_profiling_194_145986_v02 (renamed as arma3_x64.exe), launched from Launcher with BattleEye, running mod of IFA3_LITE where I kept all IFA3 PBOs except a single PBO "ww2_core_f_rds_system_boltaction_f.pbo" (to see if this affected crashing on reload, per your description). -> No dice, still Crashed!

^ @Dedmen Can you check these latest two crashes and let us know if they are magazine reload related too?  I'll PM you the link.

Can you share more details about when the crash happens?

I simply play my mission with certain IFA3 factions selected, and it virtually always crashes with 0xC0000005 STATUS ACCESS VIOLATION.  Sometimes the sound freaks out just prior to crashing (like kju mentioned).  Sometimes sound goes out completely 1st, then play like that for a while, then it crashes.  Sometimes it simply crashes out of the blue without any noticeable interruption to sound.

Can you reproduce with just CBA, CUP, IFA3?

My crashing always involves IFA3.  When I play with CUP, RHS, Unsung, OPTRE, vanilla, etc, I don't get the crash.  (For the record my mission does require CBA, so that's always running in my tests.)

Can you reliably reproduce it?

Heavens yes!  Happens virtually every time I play (with those IFA3 factions).  My mission seems to be the key and a great asset for reproducing this.  Seems like if we think outside the box enough, we should be able to solve it.

Such that a BI dev could too?

Can you provide instructions on how to reproduce?

I wish I could pin it down to a single command or similar, or otherwise simplify the procedure.  Anyone can probably make it crash, by simply playing my mission with IFA3 and selecting the factions mentioned in 1st post.  The tough part is they have to survive long enough for game to crash.  Mission can be a bit difficult (or so I hear).

On 9/12/2019 at 1:12 AM, .kju said:

the sound crash (that we are aware of) is coming from US tanks engine sounds - usually you hear a screeching sound first and a crash shortly after

I'm starting to wonder if the sound freakout is the crash actually happening or simply a symptom of the actual underlying crash mechanism.

On 9/12/2019 at 1:12 AM, .kju said:

@madrussian can provide more specifics and overall repro approach

Again, repro approach is pretty simply.  Play my mission with those IFA3 factions selected, survive long enough, and whammo it crashes (almost every time).  In a way this is very good news, as we (finally?) have a way to reliably reproduce this crash.  The bad news is my mission has many diverse systems and subsystems and uses hundreds and hundreds of unique commands.

Here are the most promising things I think we should try next:

1. Analyze latest two crashes and see if the are mag reload related as well.  We may well be onto something there!
  2. If latest crashes are mag reload related, run special build which will reveal the crashing mag type, to see if it matches @Asmodeuz's mag type.  I'm guessing "LIB_5Rnd_792x57" is the ammo for Germans' K98s, correct?  (That's the only IFA3 5 round ammo I can think of.)
  3. Create a test addon that mutes all US tank weapon sounds and try running my mission with that addon (see if this eliminates crashing).  [Recall that nickjoonyeonkim claimed that muting the tank cannon sounds completely resolved his crashing.]
  4. Create a test addon that mutes all US tank non-weapon sounds (engine, etc) and try running my mission with that addon (see if this eliminates crashing).

@.kju Can you advise on which PBOs to look inside to mute these tank weapons & tanks themselves?

• Thanks 1