Sign in to follow this  
David ArmAstrong

I need help using the spectrum device. Can't change screens.

Spoiler

I'm just getting started playing through CONTACT I'm and stuck already. I'm told to figure out the guards call sign by switching to the recorded messages screen to send a fake message to the guards at site 2 to draw them off, but I don't know how to change to the music. It is grayed out. See attached image.  Are there any instructions for the spectrum device or any special key binds I need to set? Thanks in advance for help with this.

spectrumDevice.jpg

Edited by David ArmAstrong
Inserted image

Wellllll, this reply isn't much of a spoiler (I guess), but in keeping with the spirit of things:

Spoiler

For me, it's my fire mode button. So, "F" will change to-from the detailed screen, then when in the detailed screen "Hold F" brings up the menu to select other options, like sending fake comms or hacking drones, etc.

It's a good idea to have a look in the Field Menu from time-to-time. I had to refer to it a couple of times to work things out.

• Thanks 1

Spoiler

Thanks again for trying to help. The closest thing I can find to "fire mode" is next weapon, it is the key I have bound to change from single shot to automatic, m203 etc. I use the space bar for that. 
I press the space bar and the screen changes to show noise in green, selected, and music which is what Skype told me to switch to in the game but it is grayed out and holding space bar doesn't change anything, nor does H which is what I have mapped to hand gun. Thanks for reminding me about the field manual. It has been a while since I needed that. Been playing BIS simulations since 2001. I've never had an issue with keybinds, even though last time I counted ArmA has about 91. LOL I'll keep at it until I figure it out. Right now I can use actions or H to get the SD in my hands, I can hold the space bar (bound to next weapon) to see what is pictured in my original post, but I can't click on music or get to the menu you mention using any of the keys diaplayed in the field manual as seen in the image included in this post. I am going to switch to another profile and try using the default ArmA 3 default key binds to try and figure it out. Thanks again for your time and help.
spectrumDrvice_02.jpg

I couldn't get it to work with spacebar. I mapped Shift + F to next weapon and that got it working. Thanks again for your help. 

• Like 1

No dramas. I've been with the series since the beginning too and with Arma 3 this campaign has had me in and out of the Field Manual more than any other time 😁

When in that screen, go with your mouse to HQ and select HQ to whatever unit is there. Make sure to keep sending until whole message is out there, otherwise they know it is false. In that last case, don't worry because there will be another way to get what you want. This is just practice, because later on you really want to know how to do this, or need to be extremely good at fighting alone against couple squads...

So how to get the music to play? I can get the menu to pop up but I don't get music playing when I click on the file and use my mouse button or spacebar to "fire" the EMSPEC. Any help is appreciated.

I'm having the same problem.

You need to hold left click on the same frequency wave as theirs.