flyingraptor

Make the same mission available in MP and SP options

Hello guys,

I'm creating a mission with two soldiers. When I upload the mission to the workshop, I want to be available both as a SP,COOP when someone subscribes to it. In particular, I want the mission to be visible under the "Scenarios" screen and also when starting a network host to the map in order to play it with a friend. How can I do this? Do I have to export and upload separately and the workshop will group it as one or something else?

Thanks

Hi Welcome to Bis forums!

Do the following:

Editor:

1. Go to Attributes (top), then to multiplayer
  2. Set game type as cooperative
  3. set min and max players
  4. Set your respawn if any or teamswitch
  5. add if you want revive.

Players

1. Make your units playable, by default a unit placed on the map is default the player with red ring around him, a playable unit will be purple.

Script

1. start a notepad doc, name it exactly dont misspell it!------->   Description.ext

in it put the following:

class Header
{
  gameType = Coop;
  minPlayers = 1;
  maxPlayers = 4;
};

respawn = "SIDE";
respawndelay = 3;

onLoadName = "Mission name";
onLoadMission = "mission description";
author = "author name goes here";

Save the script after you have made your changes and move it to your mission folder where the mission.sqm is

which would be here ----->      C:\Users\username\Documents\Arma 3\missions\missionname.map

Now once you upload it to workshop and set it under scenarios, add coop to it, it will automatically show in the SP scenarios on the main menu of the game

but also under MP when you host it through lan, mission will be seen to the right based on the map it is on.

This is very basic.

Do you have a respawn, teamswitch or revive for your mission?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

From editor you have (3) options to save your scenario:

- the very basic ones "save as"

to be able to modify your scripts/mission edition,

creating a folder with at least the mission.sqm inside,

this folder is named like missionName.worldName

You save the scenario in missions or MPmissions folders of your profile folder (in documents). Here, no matter your choice, it's just for convenient sort.
You can load your scenario (with the open file in editor), modify it and even play it in preview SP or MP.

- the "export" options

will export  a pbo file (which compacts all your missions files and sub-folders) to some other folders: missions or mpmissions located in your arma folder.

So, you will find a file like missionName.worldName.pbo in these folders if you export your scenario to them.

Here you will play them the from the scenario menu or creating (hosting) a MP session.

These pbo are same for missions (SP) or mpMissions (MP). It's also a way to sort your files.

You can share the scenario and refer to the pbo for a dedicated server.

- the "publish to steam workshop"

with 3 kind of visibilities : private, friend only, public.

As Gunther said, you can set the attributes for MP. But as for the export options, you will see your scenario in SP and/or MP along with the "tag" you choose:

in the workshop scenario management (export to steam workshop), edit tags and choose singleplayer, multiplayer tags.

This way, you can find the scenario in a MP session (if tagged as multiplayer), when hosting/creating a game. The name is in orange font (means coming from Steam).

Note: The pbo file will be managed by your workshop in your workshop folders. It's tricky and not recommended to modify the file (if you can find it) in your file explorer. What is on workshop must be managed by workshop. But you can subscribe or not to your own work and you can override it when you want.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sounds good, still set to cooperative obviously, another option along with revive you can do if your playing your mission solo is to setup teamswitch where you

will need other units in the mission set to playable, and when you die you can switch to them, you can also set this up via the attributes menu but will need

to manually set each unit, or group to a playable state.

14 hours ago, pierremgi said:

Note: The pbo file will be managed by your workshop in your workshop folders. It's tricky and not recommended to modify the file (if you can find it) in your file explorer.

What is on workshop must be managed by workshop. But you can subscribe or not to your own work and you can override it when you want.

What pierremgi said here is you can open and edit the workshop mission if need be but not necessary as you can basically update your mission,

whether you added scripts, code, or new things in the editor you can press the publish to steam workshop button in the editor and it will update your mission on the workshop.

Now for the sake of learning and understanding about the location and process of the files for your missions or mods, lets say there was a mission you played that had features

or functions that you wanted to implement into your mission, in my tutorial it will show you what folders, files, tool, ect,. to do this

check out my tutorial here:

• Like 1

@Gunter Severloh thanks so much for the rich content! Since yesterday I did a lot of progress. There still a question which bothers me. In SP, is it possible to get rid off the second player (AI) and only be available in COOP mode (MP)? Without again publish two different missions. Now when I start the game in SP I have the second player who follows me.

28 minutes ago, flyingraptor said:

is it possible to get rid off the second player (AI) and only be available in COOP mode (MP)?

Welcome. This you may have to script it to have one and then not the other, cant really help you there, but

in your mission for SP you probably have the AI grouped to you, so you are the squad leader.

In the editor when you look at the player unit, is the AI that follows you does he have a line connected from him to you?

if so just right click him and at the top where it says connect, in that menu of the list it will say group too, just hold

your mouse button down and pull away from the AI character, and then let go that will ungroup him from you.

A guide for the Eden editor if you haven't seen it already: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Eden_Editor

For mp if your playing solo you could use a script where you can recruit AI and when you do they will follow you, and you can command them.

One i recommend if your interested in this idea -----> http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26312

The other option is to set up a waypoint which is to use the join waypoint, where when the mission starts

your AI or even actual player can join you and basically end up grouped to you, place a join waypoint next to your character and then AI will join you.

There was also a code too, where your player unit has a name and the AI has a name, and you use a code like player2 join player 1;

Something like that, been some time since i used that code, hope that helps.

Post retracted.

Edited by EO
Found the answer.