swoop

Progressively transmit noise? (warning - cryptic Contact campaign details)

Er......what?   Ok, I'm transmitting noise.  There's nuthin progressive about it, it's binary, you're either transmitting noise or you're not.  

Nuthin's happening.   What am I missing?  I've tried both frequencies, nothing happens.   

If you're playing the Contact SP campaign then you're gonna know what I'm talking about very soon.  If not, then I don't think you'll be able to help.

P.S.  The task I'm referring to is specifically labelled 'Progressively transmit noise'.

31 minutes ago, swoop said:
  Hide contents

Er......what?   Ok, I'm transmitting noise.  There's nuthin progressive about it, it's binary, you're either transmitting noise or you're not.  

Nuthin's happening.   What am I missing?  I've tried both frequencies, nothing happens.   

Spoiler

I moved closer until command told me to stop, then I kept transmitting the noise, changing between the frequencies, that seemed to do it. I don't know if that was right or not, but it completed that task. 

I'm loving the DLC so far but this part of the mission makes no sense to me. Instructions are very unclear and nothing seems to work. Super annoying and ruining an otherwise great experience so far. 

Update - 

Spoiler

Got closer, transmitted between frequencies. Nothing happens. Transmitted long holds, short pulses, changed between frequencies, got even closer, repeat... repeat.... eventually the alien takes off and kills you. Now have to sit through 10 mins of dialogue, get the scanner back and do it all again.

😕

Another update - reverted several times and eventually it just worked. Guess just a bug! 

So, when it worked.....what, exactly, did you do?

Nothing different. I transmit to the high freq signal, it generates a low freq, hard to track signal, I transmit to that one and depending on pure luck it will either advance the mission or I'll be stuck forever. Just transmitting "noise" seems to be all that is required. 

Ok here's how it works (based on what i saw).  Typing on my phone, so spelling mistakes may be present, also can't figure out how to do spoiler things so cryptic but if you are on that mission you should know what i mean.

The AE is in a wood transmitting a signal that is picked up by your science doohickey-whatsamajig thingy with the old tv aerial attachment.

Listen in on that freq. (Frequency) and press 'f' to bring up the sound databank.  Select noise and 'fire' it at the source (indicated by the popping circles).  Keep firing the noise, this causes the AE to begin transmitting on a different freq. as indicated by a new yellow chevron on the science gadget's display.

Listen in on that freq. and fire noise at that signal.  You may have to move a bit closer, but be careful not to move too close as you will 1) get a warning from command, 2) pulse waves will hit you temporarily disabling the science gadget and 3) if you still don't get the hint, you get probed... ok not probed but it's not pleasent.

Keep firing the noise at the 2nd freq. and it will stop transmitting and then a 3rd will appear.  Repeat on this freq. and you have cleared this portion of the mission.

Bear in mind this is still a new campaign and patches may be needed but just keep aligned with the source and firing until you see a new freq.  This is also chained so you need to fire at the first source, then second, then third.  If you mess up, 2nd and subsequent freq.s disappear and you have to start back at first.

Hope this helps.

Also make sure you aim correctly and have all bars of the signal lit up (leave detailed view for that). Otherwise it won't work.