sinny

VR-Support! Please it´s time!

Hi Bohemia!

Can you please please please release an ARMA III VR-Module/DLC?

ARMA would have so much potential with HMD!

Here is a poll:

https://linkto.run/p/BR8PXMIY 

What kinda crappy poll ad ridden website was that?! If it was up to me yould be shunned..SHUNNED

• Haha 4

Why link to a poll, and why such a crappy shortlink? We have forum integrated poll stuff.

Also I'd recommend strawpoll..

And maybe better read/post here, before redoing the whole conversation: 🙂

• Like 2

On 7/17/2019 at 2:14 PM, joostsidy said:

And maybe better read/post here, before redoing the whole conversation: 🙂

Well, this is 2 years old and world maybe changed a little bit ;-)

And btw: BIS has already implemented VR in Virtual Battlespace (VBS). As its based on the same (or adapted) engine, there might be some synergies.

In my opinion ARMA needs some fresh injection of technologies.

Unfortunately it seems that BIS lost their interest in ARMA and is now fully focusing on VBS.  Too sad... but we should not expect anything else than "milking the cash cow as much and as cheap as possible" activities from BIS in the future.

Just my 2 cent and my personal opinion.

FirstPanic

24 minutes ago, FirstPanic said:

Well, this is 2 years old and world maybe changed a little bit 😉

And btw: BIS has already implemented VR in Virtual Battlespace (VBS). As its based on the same (or adapted) engine, there might be some synergies.

In my opinion ARMA needs some fresh injection of technologies.

Unfortunately it seems that BIS lost their interest in ARMA and is now fully focusing on VBS.  Too sad... but we should not expect anything else than "milking the cash cow as much and as cheap as possible" activities from BIS in the future.

Just my 2 cent and my personal opinion.

FirstPanic

BI is not focusing on VBS since it's not their product. You're confusing them with Bohemia Interactive Simulations which is a different company with a similar name because of historical reasons. 

What BI has lost interest in, though, is Arma 3's engine. They have a new one now, Enfusion, which they have already tried VR with. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean there will be VR in the next Arma, but it's certain it won't be added in A3.

• Like 3

On 7/20/2019 at 4:15 PM, Greenfist said:

BI is not focusing on VBS since it's not their product. You're confusing them with Bohemia Interactive Simulations which is a different company with a similar name because of historical reasons. 

What BI has lost interest in, though, is Arma 3's engine. They have a new one now, Enfusion, which they have already tried VR with. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean there will be VR in the next Arma, but it's certain it won't be added in A3.

Well, Bohemia Interactive Simulations was a spin off and joint venture, using the ArmA engine and technology to build VBS.

And you are right when you say it's 2 different companies (actually Bohemia Interactive Simulations is owned by a private equity company). But... who do you think are the core developers in the background? For me it's very obvious that BIStudio has a contract in the backend to develop the VBS engine (If not it would have been a very stupid spinoff :-) ).

Where have you seen that Enfusion has VR capabilities?  Enfusion is the engine used in DayZ... and yes... it's much faster and better... but as far as I know there is no VR capability nor hasn't been tested.

FirstPanic

32 minutes ago, FirstPanic said:

Well, Bohemia Interactive Simulations was a spin off and joint venture, using the ArmA engine and technology to build VBS.

And you are right when you say it's 2 different companies (actually Bohemia Interactive Simulations is owned by a private equity company). But... who do you think are the core developers in the background? For me it's very obvious that BIStudio has a contract in the backend to develop the VBS engine (If not it would have been a very stupid spinoff 🙂 ).

Where have you seen that Enfusion has VR capabilities?  Enfusion is the engine used in DayZ... and yes... it's much faster and better... but as far as I know there is no VR capability nor hasn't been tested.

FirstPanic

If I'm not mistaken Project Lucie uses some iteration of Enfusion. Doesn't really prove much of its capabilities though.

Team SFS: What kind of info do you share with VBS developers, if any?

Ondřej: We should point out that, despite still sharing a very similar name, Bohemia Interactive and Bohemia Interactive Simulations are completely different companies with different owners these days. Also, at this point a lot of the core technology that powers Arma 3 and VBS have very much diverged. We might still occasionally discuss sharing technology or assets, but this happens at a company business level and is very rare.

Source: https://teamsfsmilsim.com/2018/10/09/original-interview-with-bohemia-interactive-english-version/

It sounds like BISIM and BI don't have common engine developers.

23 hours ago, FirstPanic said:

For me it's very obvious that BIStudio has a contract in the backend to develop the VBS engine

Well.. BIS develops their own VBS engine correct. But as said multiple times BI and BIS are different companies. They don't share staff, they don't share code (besides the stuff that they had before they split apart)

VR would require a lot of resources. I'd rather them just put their resources into Arma 4 and its new engine and then get VR on that game. Track IR should be acceptable for now

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 1:08 PM, Greenfist said:

If I'm not mistaken Project Lucie uses some iteration of Enfusion. Doesn't really prove much of its capabilities though.

Source: https://teamsfsmilsim.com/2018/10/09/original-interview-with-bohemia-interactive-english-version/

It sounds like BISIM and BI don't have common engine developers.

Interesting.... was not aware of Project Lucie. It seems someone already developed something using the Oculus SDK.

Will download and test 🙂

Update: Project Lucie is not available and based on a very old Oculus SDK. So, I assume it's dead 😞

Edited by FirstPanic
Update
  • Sad 2

On 7/30/2019 at 3:35 AM, EyeSpyU said:

VR would require a lot of resources. I'd rather them just put their resources into Arma 4 and its new engine and then get VR on that game. Track IR should be acceptable for now

This. VR needs not only steady 75/90+ fps *stereo* (i dont ever get that mono in MP) but also dedicated UI changes. BI stated multiple times there are only a handful of devs still working on A3, close to zero on an engine level.

I kind of expect native VR support for A4 though, at least for vehicle control it would be a game- and immersion changer. For infantry you would need serious VR legs or a treadmill.

On 8/2/2019 at 9:31 AM, nomisum said:

This. VR needs not only steady 75/90+ fps *stereo* (i dont ever get that mono in MP) but also dedicated UI changes.

With the Motion Smoothing technology the requirement is down to 30-40fps to have a good experience.

Plus with the upcoming eye tracking technology it's expected to reduce calculation by >50%.

Means: With GPU in the 1070/2070 range you have good results.

I use VR with a 1060 with pretty good results... so, don't give too much on the fps and GPU requirements.

FirstPanic

On 7/29/2019 at 6:35 PM, EyeSpyU said:

Track IR should be acceptable for now

TBH TrackIR is all I need now and any time in the future. I have sons who've both bought themselves VR gear (Oculus Rift & Playstation VR) and I can last all of about 40 minutes in either VR before I'm very nauseated. I know I'm not alone with that and have discussed similar experiences with some gaming friends. That said, I've been impressed with both those  systems as long as I could last playing in their virtual spaces. I'll be happy for BI to deliver VR to the fans of it, but I'll be majorly p'd off if ArmA 4 no longer supports TrackIR.

All I gotta say regarding VR in Arma...

In comparison, the DCS guys pretty much all swear by it now:

Aside from flying, first person in VR in Arma is quite immersive, but without hand tracking and a better UI interface it leaves a lot to be desired:

Vs Onward in VR:

Drewski said it best:

"...I still feel like its hard to get immersed in them even though I can you know get very very immersed in squad very very immersed in tarkov or Arma, those games are not immersive all the time and having yourself limited to a mouse and keyboard is sometimes good because you can sit back in a chair and you know chillax but its not perfect for that immersion factor.  But if you put a VR headset on you hop into a game like onward... being able to actually see your rifle in your hands, being able to manipulate it with your physical hands is something thats very very special..."

----------

Just like we have seen Valve embrace and be a major force in pushing the bleeding edge of virtual reality technology illustrated by SteamVR and Half Life: Alyx, you just cannot beat the immersion and unparalleled experience of virtual reality.  In fact, I predict that VR adoption will parallel electric vehicle development: the flood gates are opening and if you don't get on the wagon now, your company will get left behind, particularly if you are in the simulator business.

This is why Arma 4 absolutely NEEDS to support VR!  And if you want a good model for implementation, games like War Thunder and DCS offer the option for players to play in either flat screen OR VR.  Furthermore, it would be really great if future titles offered a seated VR AND room-scale VR, luckily SteamVR and Oculus both offer developer libraries on how these can be incorporated into game engines.

This is why Arma 4 absolutely NEEDS to support VR!  And if you want a good model for implementation, games like War Thunder and DCS offer the option for players to play in either flat screen OR VR.  Furthermore, it would be really great if future titles offered a seated VR AND room-scale VR, luckily SteamVR and Oculus both offer developer libraries on how these can be incorporated into game engines.

Totally, and now with Vulkan and Metal apis, the sky is the limit.. it´s 2020 the year of or.. humanity extincts or we get Arma 4 with vr.