Kassaran

Multiplayer Respawn on Static Ships

Hey, so I've got a question regarding the setting up of multiplayer spawns *on* static ships in ARMA 3. No matter what I do, I am unable to successfully spawn onto a static ship, such as in the hangar bay of a destroyer, or on the flight deck of a carrier. Is there some secret Bohemian sorcery that I simply don't know that makes it work, because there's absolutely zero material out there on this matter and it's beginning to get frustrating.

On 7/6/2019 at 7:54 PM, Kassaran said:

No matter what I do

Welcome to Bi forums!

So what have you done or tried, and are trying to do to spawn?

So, I've gone through and spawned in both of the ships as part of a 'fleet'. I've done my research into how to create multiple respawn points for NATO, including the variable naming conventions and using respawn_west prefix.

The problem comes in making the spawn put players on static ship surfaces. So while I can make a ship spawn in, and I can spawn players in, the spawnpoint refuses to put players onto the ships.

Technically in the editor you dont "spawn" anything, they are "entities" or assets that are placed.

In your mission's folder do you have a description.ext

Code:

respawn = "base";
respawndelay = 10;

Do this:

1. At the top under Attributes, go to Multiplayer
  2. Go to respawn and set the dropdown menu for respawn on custom position
  3. Go to F5 Systems, then to Multiplayer
  4. Place down a respawn position on top of the carrier, make sure the Toggle surface snapping button is clicked at the top of the editor (icon looks like 2 arrows pointing to a line).
  5. In the variable name box of the respawn position module, put respawn_west
  6. Save.
  7. Go to play at the top of the editor, then down to play in MP, choose your unit, and press continue, from there press escape and then click on respawn you should respawn on top of the carrier where you placed the module.
  • Thanks 1

I think it might be fixed now, but it'll take a minute for me to make sure. I'm pretty sure it was just the Toggle Surface Snapping button which was making it nigh impossible to do otherwise. Surprisingly enough, I figured it'd just spit someone out at or above the altitude the module was placed at, but maybe there's an additional functionality in placing it "on" a surface? Anyways...

11 minutes ago, Kassaran said:

maybe there's an additional functionality in placing it "on" a surface?

Nope, just make sure the Toggle Surface Snapping tool is set where the arrows are pointing to the line and not away from it, then

the module will snap to the surface of the carrier or ship your using thats all you need to do.

So while I couldn't fix the original mission, I've now successfully managed to make the spawns hold elsewhere. Thanks for the advice, there seems to be some other underlying issue with all of this, but it isn't rearing its head towards me anymore.

• Like 1

This is true.  Also true:  DO NOT CONNECT THE PLAYER SOLDIER WITH THE MODULE IN ANY WAY, SYNC OR OTHERWISE.

This should be in big bold letters across the module attributes screen.  It took me three days to figure out why this wasn't working.

@Gunter Severloh Your method does work perfectly with USS Freedom. Thanks!

After a lot of tasting i have to say Gunter's method works for the 50% of the respawns. 

Update: 

I have found 100% fix for static ships respawn. Place (snap) the respawn module on the deck, name it "repawn_west" and copy its coordinates. 
Then use them with MP Event handler in "initPlayerLocal.sqf"

player addMPEventHandler ["MPRespawn", { [14623.576,345.395,113.528] }];

I have tested a lot and player always respawns at the given coordinates on the deck. Happy respawning! 😁

• Like 1