Voronwe

It looks like the U.S Army is moving towards a firearm chambered in 6.8

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/27159/this-gun-paired-with-new-6-8mm-ammunition-could-be-the-armys-next-standard-issue-rifle

This should probably go in the off topic forum, but I couldn't find it for some reason.  If any mod sees this please move it. 

It looks like the MX series of rifles aren't THAT far fetched.  I don't know if anyone's posted this yet, but the Army is apparently trying to move to a new rifle chambered in 6.8mm.  I've been following the various programs to replace the M4 for a while now, and it finally looks like they're moving ahead with it.  I'm very well aware that these sorts off things are going on all the time and come to nothing, but it seems like they're a bit more serious this time around.

Yeah well, Arma 3 was not so futuristic to begin with, with some exceptions. Nevertheless with this on the horizon, Arma is definitely not futuristic enough anymore, I expect BI to ASAP change the MX caliber to 8.6mm (Plasma), just to stay ahead. 😉

Interesting advanced ammo thought, not caseless, but does use straight mags because of its design.

• Like 1

I know they commissioned a real firearm company to design the MX series, it looks they actually did a way better job then everyone thought.  I'm liking the sound of this.  I really hope this new caliber is all it's cracked up to be. 

As someone who's toying with the idea of joining but who isn't a fan of M4s/M16s I'm very enthusiastic.  Of course even if they adopt this it seems like they want to keep it closely resembling an AR.  Then again if I had my way we'd be using either ACRs (in 6.8) or SIG55Xs.  Neither of which is likely. 

Nothing new. 

The U.S. Army  has been toying with the idea of new round for quite a long time. One of the first alternatives to 5.56mm that I remember was the 6.5mm MPC (Multi-Purpose Cartridge.)  
I'd speculate that the 6.5mm MPC is where BI got the idea for the caliber change in game.

In real-life I think they found that the 6.5mm MPC had less performance and capability than the 6.5mm Grendel, which they then decided if you're going to pay to upgrade to Grendel then you might as well go 6.8mm. 

But with 300Blk now on the market, I'm not too sure they'll be willing to switch to 6.8mm either.