This page is for discussion of script features in Fly Tanoa Air. Mod page available now.

Dev Files
Current Version 0042

This download is compatible with APEX game version 1.7 and higher

438077-1562337567.jpg

Live readMe
[FTA] Guidebook

Edited by wogz187
Version Update
  • Like 6

Seems cool  :thumbsup:

Cannot say how to optimize the script but if we are talking about a wip scenario, may I ask, when you say 20 flight plans ... are those with waypoints? Because when flying a plane you got to have an approach. So as to come in line with the runway and such. Do not think a mission containing such things exists. About the approach ... was playing FSX some time before, was instructed to cycle around the runway, I saw it straight forward so whatevs. A straight line is the fastest! Damn wind... Was sliding down the runway, so while sliding made an 180 degrees turn and pushed throttle to full. The AI copilot said once we stopped ... I am just glad I am on the ground. Lol, have never heard such a thing in a game before :rofl:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JohnKalo said:

The AI copilot said once we stopped ... I am just glad I am on the ground.

On the other end, there is no case of flight which didn't end on ground.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

@JohnKalo "... if we are talking about a wip scenario, may I ask, when you say 20 flight plans ... are those with waypoints?", "...  when flying a plane you got to have an approach..."
The twenty flight plans would be, potentially, any airport to any other airport except the one you're currently at. If my math is correct 5 starting positions and four possible destinations equals 20 combinations.
A complete landing procedure would be cool. I haven't decided how to do this yet. Right now you get a waypoint to indicate which airport to land at.

I'm open to solutions.

EDIT

So I'll add another waypoint in the chain that defines the approach vector for each airport. Does a waypoint 3 km away and around 200 m satisfy this?

• Like 2

wogz187 this is all a very nice idea !  :thumbs-up:

I haven't yet check this though !

Keep it up !

• Like 2

So I'll add another waypoint in the chain that defines the approach vector for each airport. Does a waypoint 3 km away and around 200 m satisfy this?

It must be a really nicely placed waypoint. Because according to the approach if it is plane - airport - waypoint in a straight line then it would not change much. What I suggested cannot be easily implemented because in order to have a nice flight path,  the path will have to change according to your starting position. Different approach for each combination of starting position - destination. Most likely that is why such a thing does not exist. Yet?  

• Like 1

@JohnKalo,

according to the approach if it is plane - airport - waypoint in a straight line

So the approach vector waypoint is actually on the opposite side of the airport compared to the approaching plane? And the approach vector could be in multiple positions depending on the direction from which the aircraft is travelling? That sounds do-able but needlessly complicated for what is supposed to be a fun, cathartic flight over paradise.

Last night I implemented what I described above except that the approach vector is not a waypoint. Instead the approach is marked by a task marker, which makes it visible but not necessary. If a pilot decides to ignore the safe approach and land anyway, it's no problem and the script still continues. This addition definitely improves the gameplay and makes it easier for new pilots to line up on the runway. Thanks for the idea, John!

Got any more cool ideas. I want to add some challenges, like complete a circuit in a set amount of time, don't exceed the altitude limit, ferry cargo, assist the coastguard, ect.

• Like 2

Do you have a server this is running on? I’d love to give it a go with airplanes and helicopters. I’m more into helo’s but like to fly anything. 

@Jnr4817,
This mission is part of my GUI TOYS project. It's a single-player scenario but I'll post it and the community can do whatever they want with it.

If you want to go for a cool flight, play JET TOYS

You're welcome to playtest along with me: Drive Link see above for link

Note: Currently my co-pilot and two of the four possible passengers are women. If you don't have the FEMALE assets installed it will either return an error or default to some other NPC.

Have fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@JohnKalo,
After playing a bit, the approach works great. It's a very simplified version of the real thing but illustrates the principal well enough. The player just has to realize that the yellow Task Marker is not a waypoint but a navigation aid, and use it, like a gun-sight, to line up the waypoint marker.

The "TUNE" button on the mission controller now contacts the tower at Aeroport de Tanoa and clears the player for final landing-- and sets the WP and approach for the same.

I've also implemented an Overheat Stall and a Fuel Leak Stall when the player is suffering from bad luck.

Still more to come!

• Like 2

So the approach vector waypoint is actually on the opposite side of the airport compared to the approaching plane? And the approach vector could be in multiple positions depending on the direction from which the aircraft is travelling? That sounds do-able but needlessly complicated for what is supposed to be a fun, cathartic flight over paradise.

Yep that is correct and true!

Got any more cool ideas. I want to add some challenges, like complete a circuit in a set amount of time, don't exceed the altitude limit, ferry cargo, assist the coastguard, ect.

Altitude limit is great in case there are AAs around. As for the coastguard ... an idea would be to make a search area where a criminal or a person needing assistance is located. Like a vessel on fire. With a condition plane close to the target for some time the task can become successful! In case of the criminals the guys can be shooting at the plane. Taking fire however is indeed not a flight over paradise environment  :scratchchin:

Apart from the above maybe sightseeing tours? Or transferring of highly important cargo such as medical supplies?

After playing a bit, the approach works great. It's a very simplified version of the real thing but illustrates the principal well enough. The player just has to realize that the yellow Task Marker is not a waypoint but a navigation aid, and use it, like a gun-sight, to line up the waypoint marker.
The "TUNE" button on the mission controller now contacts the tower at Aeroport de Tanoa and clears the player for final landing-- and sets the WP and approach for the same.
I've also implemented an Overheat Stall and a Fuel Leak Stall when the player is suffering from bad luck.
Still more to come!

Nicely done ... cool!

• Like 1

@JohnKalo

Altitude limit is great in case there are AAs around.

I'll make an Altitude chirp right before the engine stalls around 5000 m.

Like a vessel on fire. With a condition plane close to the target for some time...

Yes. Exactly that.

Apart from the above maybe sightseeing tours? Or transferring of highly important cargo such as medical supplies?

Yes, both of those. Sightseeing will be a list of waypoints with a restriction on speed and altitude. How to make cargo shipments different than passenger drop offs? Perhaps the cargo is time sensitive and will expire if not delivered in a specific time limit.

Thanks, bro!

• Like 1

How to make cargo shipments different than passenger drop offs? Perhaps the cargo is time sensitive and will expire if not delivered in a specific time limit.

Yep nicely said! Or in a case of a heavy cargo the plane might have difficulties when operating.

• Like 1

Don’t forget oil rigs for the helo guys or the hard to reach areas. 

• Like 2

@Jnr4817, @JohnKalo,

Don’t forget oil rigs for the helo guys or the hard to reach areas. 

Duly noted. I believe changing the unit "playerJET" (which is a plane), to a helicopter would not affect most of the scripts. I'll research this further. I'm curious, do you guys fly with mouse/keyboard or controls/joysticks? And do you use the advanced helicopter flight model?

The cargo delivery system is fully implemented now.

I'm working on a Ring Challenge script to add 3-5 ring courses-- like sightseeing tours (volcano rim) and Mach loop style canyon runs (I know airplanes can't do a mach loop). The challenge is to create a single trigger ring for all of the challenges. Updating it's position as need by the player clearing each ring.

Update soon.

• Like 1

Duly noted. I believe changing the unit "playerJET" (which is a plane), to a helicopter would not affect most of the scripts. I'll research this further. I'm curious, do you guys fly with mouse/keyboard or controls/joysticks? And do you use the advanced helicopter flight model?

Personally I fly using the advanced flight models with a joystick and a steering wheel. The steering wheel is ehmmm... for the pedals. For the rudder right and left. I could buy some pedals for like 100 euros but no money no honey. Kinda funny when others complain about not being able to fly as they want with their expensive kits. What would they do if joystick buttons only worked when pressed via a specific and highly scientific way. Lol.. Anyways, as for the advanced flight model if you get used to that it is not easy to fly without them. That is because the chopper stops responding as it should and flight becomes weird. The same technique I use with planes although I mainly handle choppers.

The cargo delivery system is fully implemented now.
I'm working on a Ring Challenge script to add 3-5 ring courses-- like sightseeing tours (volcano rim) and Mach loop style canyon runs (I know airplanes can't do a mach loop). The challenge is to create a single trigger ring for all of the challenges. Updating it's position as need by the player clearing each ring.
Update soon.

Awesome! Oh you mean having only one ring show at a time? Maybe you can use the Show Model On/Off feature. So as for the rings to be there and only shown when needed.

• Thanks 1

@JohnKalo,

Maybe you can use the Show Model On/Off feature. So as for the rings to be there and only shown when needed.

That's too easy. I want there to be one ring with a trigger and every time you hit it, it goes to the next position waiting to be hit again. So several markers will define the route and the ring object and trigger snap to the next position each time it's cleared.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnKalo said:

Personally I fly using the advanced flight models with a joystick and a steering wheel. The steering wheel is ehmmm... for the pedals. For the rudder right and left. I could buy some pedals for like 100 euros but no money no honey. Kinda funny when others complain about not being able to fly as they want with their expensive kits. What would they do if joystick buttons only worked when pressed via a specific and highly scientific way. Lol.. Anyways, as for the advanced flight model if you get used to that it is not easy to fly without them. That is because the chopper stops responding as it should and flight becomes weird. The same technique I use with planes although I mainly handle choppers.

Awesome! Oh you mean having only one ring show at a time? Maybe you can use the Show Model On/Off feature. So as for the rings to be there and only shown when needed.

I fly trackir, stick, throttle, pedals, AFM. 

The whole 9 yards.

• Like 1

@JohnKalo,

Personally I fly using the advanced flight models with a joystick

@Jnr4817

I fly trackir, stick, throttle, pedals, AFM. 

Okay. So if you guys advised a mission designer who does NOT have those things, what considerations are necessary to make it playable? What should I know about the advanced flight model and controls as a designer?

Last night I created three out of probably five ring courses. These ring courses are so much fun they pretty much make the rest of the scenario irrelevant. I think players will skip the cargo and passenger mechanics and go straight to the ring courses. Next up is rescue/adventure style scenarios, like assisting the coastguard. Like everything else, I want to put a unique spin on that aspect. More info soon.

Moreover, and more interesting for you two, I will post a composition which will make it SUPER-EASY to create your own ring courses. Easy as in-- place the composition in editor, plug in script, copy and paste markers where you want the rings to appear, done.

The whole 9 yards.

Using aviation terminology in a thread about flight scenarios is tight!

**EDIT**

I developed the rescue scenario this afternoon and this is how it works:
1) There are five Operation Markers in the waters around Tanoa.
2) There is a composition of six markers. A Central Marker and 5 Satellite Markers.
3) The system randomly chooses between the five Operation Markers and setpos (getpos) the composition of six markers.
4) The system randomly assigns one of the satellite markers as the emergency zone.
5) A coastguard helicopter is designated as the Task at the Central marker marking "Search Zone".
6) A composition of boat/fire/smoke moves from objNULL to the emergency zone to be noticed
7) Player satisfies search criteria and is assigned a new task and the all the component pieces move back to objNULL

Edited by wogz187
Never underestimate the power of bis_fn_attachtorelative and objNULL
  • Like 1

Okay. So if you guys advised a mission designer who does NOT have those things, what considerations are necessary to make it playable? What should I know about the advanced flight model and controls as a designer?

Not much. Only that flying around becomes more flexible. You can fly in more complicating (and awesome) ways.

I developed the rescue scenario this afternoon and this is how it works:

Nicely done! Sadly there is no wintch script to use but even so it is still cool.

@JohnKalo,

Not much. Only that flying around becomes more flexible. You can fly in more complicating (and awesome) ways.

So no special considerations beyond that of a regular chopper mission. Okay.

I am considering adding a playable chopper in addition to the plane, or a way to select your vehicle at start up. Or, at least I was until I saw this,

The Search and Rescue script is implemented and working well. I'm going to play around with it a bit more today.

WIP Roadmap:

1) Add a second scenario to Search and Rescue (land based)
2) Add a flight leader challenge (fly with the other plane)
3) Add refueling
4) Redesign the GUI controller
5) Two more ring courses
6) Vehicle Selector and winch script (maybe)
7) Polish (contingencies*, props, presentation)
* Contingencies prevent the player from breaking the scenario. What happens if the player hops out of the plane? What if they jump out of the plane in flight? What if the plane crashes? What happens if the player aborts a challenge half-way through, ect.

• Like 2

I am considering adding a playable chopper in addition to the plane, or a way to select your vehicle at start up. Or, at least I was until I saw this,

That was tragic indeed.

6) Vehicle Selector and winch script (maybe)

The winch script will be another first! 

* Contingencies prevent the player from breaking the scenario. What happens if the player hops out of the plane? What if they jump out of the plane in flight? What if the plane crashes? What happens if the player aborts a challenge half-way through, ect.

Yeah one of the main troubling in editing. What will the players do while playing. What if they do this or that. Or even worse ... what will the AI do when an MP mission is played as SP?!?!?

• Like 1

@JohnKalo,

The winch script will be another first! 

Bummer. I was hoping that would be a plug-in. I might need your help with that.

I did a little bit of research about making this mission MP. As far as I can tell the greatest challenge in MP is making things sync. In this mission we don't want ANYTHING to sync. It would be cool to have other people flying around but we don't want any of the actual triggers/markers/ect to be sync'd, just the players positions. Does this make it easier or more difficult to make MP?

Check out the readMe file I added to the original post.

• Like 1

Bummer. I was hoping that would be a plug-in. I might need your help with that.

Not the one appropriate to help sadly. The creators of this should be able to help.

I did a little bit of research about making this mission MP. As far as I can tell the greatest challenge in MP is making things sync. In this mission we don't want ANYTHING to sync. It would be cool to have other people flying around but we don't want any of the actual triggers/markers/ect to be sync'd, just the players positions. Does this make it easier or more difficult to make MP?

Well in MP how will conditions, radio calls and hints be showed? An MP mission would be nice and more likable but everything should be working for each player separately. 

Check out the readMe file I added to the original post.

Nicely played! 

@JohnKalo,

Thanks for the link, @duda123, is on the forum as well. Duda, we're talking about your cool script!

An MP mission would be nice and more likable but everything should be working for each player separately. 

Yeah. That's what I'm saying.

I reworked the AWS last night so it engages and disengages automatically as part of take-off and landing. All of my "play-testing" has been clearing rings because that is by far the most fun I've had in all of ArmA III so far. Otherwise, contingencies and presentation are top-order.

When this project is complete I'm looking forward to making a good and proper Jet training mission complete with: Formation training, Low altitude maneuvers, Mach Loop, Target practice, Stall training, and anything else I can find on Fast Jet Performance.

Stay tuned!

• Like 1