fat_lurch

White Phosphor NODs (NVGs)

ALPHA RELEASE

WP_1024.png

This mod upgrades all NODs (NVGs) with white phosphor technology tubes.

There's nothing to setup, it works automatically with all night vision devices (vanilla and addon). There's a CBA setting listed under "White Phosphor" - this is so servers can whitelist the addon but individual users can disable it if desired.

This mod requires ACE3 and CBA_A3. There is also a non-ACE version that just requires CBA_A3.

The mod has been tested in SP and on dedicated. 

This mod is in Alpha release. Right now this overwrites the green hue of vehicle screens. I'll be developing more stringent code to detect these cases so that the white phosphor effect is only activated at appropriate times.

Credits and Thanks:
-Thanks to CoNaNRedd on Reddit for helping getting the code working! 

Steam - ACE Version

Steam - Non-ACE version

For anyone wanting custom colorization, please see my NOD Colorize Addon: Steam - NOD Colorize

• Like 11

1 hour ago, x_DarkSpecter_x said:

This is awesome! 

Thanks for the kind feedback! Glad you enjoy. Please throw a like on the Steam page.

I'll work on better code so that the effect only is applied when appropriate.

I should also be able to release this as a script at some point - the code is fairly simple.

With any luck, the ACE folks will pick up the concept - it looks like their code already defines "generations" of NOD tubes.

• Like 4

fat_lurch , you are every time full of surprises !

It really looks very good !

Well done !  :thumbs-up:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GEORGE FLOROS GR said:

fat_lurch , you are every time full of surprises !

It really looks very good !

Well done !  :thumbs-up:

Thanks GF!

• Thanks 1

Update 2019-07-06:

Added link to a non-ACE version. See the original post.

outstanding! really nice touch however Im using it with ace and sometimes when i get hit it will switch to the green tint for some reason... also sometimes dosnt load at all i wonder if its compatible with costume NVGs or only vanilla ones 

10 minutes ago, AirShark said:

outstanding! really nice touch however Im using it with ace and sometimes when i get hit it will switch to the green tint for some reason... also sometimes dosnt load at all i wonder if its compatible with costume NVGs or only vanilla ones 

Thanks for the feedback AirShark!

Right now the addon checks if current vision mode =1 (nvg) and if the effect is enabled in the CBA settings.

Those are the only two conditions to enable the WP effect.

The effect is loaded as part of the init for all "CAman" classes in ARMA. Is there anything unique you're doing? Are you spawning in a vehicle or anything?

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, fat_lurch said:

Thanks for the feedback AirShark!

Right now the addon checks if current vision mode =1 (nvg) and if the effect is enabled in the CBA settings.

Those are the only two conditions to enable the WP effect.

The effect is loaded as part of the init for all "CAman" classes in ARMA. Is there anything unique you're doing? Are you spawning in a vehicle or anything?

Thanks again!

my bad.. it seems that it is conflicted with another mod and not the only one though, some mods activate when i restart the mission for some reason and my scripts have nothing to do with NVGs so i will see more about that... anyways Nice job with this keep it up :rthumb:

just for shits and giggles how are you handling the turning on and off.  Ive had whitephoshor NVG code for over 2 years now out there I just never could figure a way to hook into its activation without creating 'yet another..' suspending script loop that..    Q_S thought that maybe editing the RSC layer for NVG (if I remember correctly?) would be the only way around it but thats way over my head anyway cheers def gonna check it out.

20 hours ago, Sycholic said:

just for shits and giggles how are you handling the turning on and off.  Ive had whitephoshor NVG code for over 2 years now out there I just never could figure a way to hook into its activation without creating 'yet another..' suspending script loop that..    Q_S thought that maybe editing the RSC layer for NVG (if I remember correctly?) would be the only way around it but thats way over my head anyway cheers def gonna check it out.

It's just a simple loop that looks for the current vision mode and that the effect is enabled in the CBA settings.(https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/currentVisionMode)

I plan on making the code a little smarter in the future so the effect doesn't take over vehicle cameras, etc.

I limited it to about 50Hz figuring that would be fast enough for most folks not to notice the transition.

The effect itself is just a post-process color correction. I'm suspicious that this is how BIS handles their night vision effect as well (since there's no real NIR light sources in the engine). I'm guessing items like NVGTarget etc. also cue off of currentVisionMode.

If you're interested I can post up the code.

Thanks

HI

I just loaded your mod and I have to say it is awesome WP effect....
The only matter I had experienced is the NV color is back to green when I get back in the mission on a saved game.

as far as I remember it is a known issue on some mods and Eventhandlers on mod init. ( but I'm not expert in scripting ) 

is there a way to fix it in a further update of your mod?

thank you and keep on the good work.

On 7/7/2019 at 10:02 AM, Sycholic said:

I really like it too.

I was fiddling around 2 years ago with getting the green lighting on the face when nvgs were on and came to the same conclusion about having to script it.  

It's a shame there isnt an nvOn and nvOff EH.

13 minutes ago, cosmic10r said:

It's a shame there isnt an nvOn and nvOff EH.

No kidding! Or even just a vision mode change EH.

4 hours ago, rsoftokz said:

HI

I just loaded your mod and I have to say it is awesome WP effect....
The only matter I had experienced is the NV color is back to green when I get back in the mission on a saved game.

as far as I remember it is a known issue on some mods and Eventhandlers on mod init. ( but I'm not expert in scripting ) 

is there a way to fix it in a further update of your mod?

thank you and keep on the good work.

Thanks for the feedback rsoftokz!

I can definitely look into it: What are the exact steps to reproduce what you're seeing?

quite simple

I play a mission on arma 3, for example " Pilgrimage".
it's night time and I got my brand new WP NVGs !!!!
for some reason I have to leave the mission and the game.so I save and exit.

when I'm back on my mission with the save game, my NVGs are green, no more WP.
It is the same if  I got shot to death and I'm back in the mission  on the last save.

so it seems the WP effect is no longer activated. you might need to keep it "alive" on saves with eventhandlers or extended eventhandlers ( but once again, I'm not expert in scripting )

thank anyway for the reply and what you can do to fix this as I really like the effect you did  (I use NVG's in the real life  sometimes and have a chance to test WP once and it looks like exactly what you did )

EDIT: sorry I didn't mentioned I use the NON ACE WP version.

EDIT 2: I just came back in the mission, the green night effect last about a minute and then I was back to white phosphor effect.
it seems the WP effect need some time to come back after the mission  restart from a save game.

Is there a way to make color NVGs with all the cool ACE effects?

So a few folks have mentioned adding a "filter" to restrict which NVGs this addon affects. This really wasn't inline with my plans for the mod so I'm looking for input from the interested users.

In my mind, the *best* way to handle this is to use ACE's tube generation parameter to define if the particular NOD features WP tubes (which is a bit beyond the scope of ACE or my mod. The original content developers would define this in their addons). I suspect the ACE team may already have something like this in work, hopefully rendering my addon moot.

In the meanwhile, the best way I can think of to address this within the scope of my addon is either a whitelist or blacklist specific devices defined by the users per the mission or server that calls out specific classnames.

I suspect the larger audience won't agree on which *specific* devices should have WP, so my guess is it's best to make it configurable per user/server and leave the default as an all class whitelist.

Unfortunately, this puts the onus of defining the whitelist/blacklist on the user or admin.

Does anyone have any other/better thoughts on how to manage this?

Thanks

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:46 AM, Fros7bite said:

Is there a way to make color NVGs with all the cool ACE effects?

In theory, yes. I think the green added to the default NVG view could possibly be "corrected" for (I'm not 100% sure).

If I'm honest, as far as I know there isnt anything like this deployed as of this writing (full-color NODs), so I'm not real interested in personally creating an addon for this.

I may look into creating an addon that allows for user-defineable recolorization as I've heard (anecdotally) that this can help folks with certain types of color blindness.

EDIT: I've since completed said addon: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1807445586

I am more than willing, however, to share my code as a start if someone wanted to develop a color NOD mod.

12 hours ago, fat_lurch said:

In theory, yes. I think the green added to the default NVG view could possibly be "corrected" for (I'm not 100% sure).

If I'm honest, as far as I know there isnt anything like this deployed as of this writing (full-color NODs), so I'm not real interested in personally creating an addon for this.

I may look into creating an addon that allows for user-defineable recolorization as I've heard (anecdotally) that this can help folks with certain types of color blindness.

I am more than willing, however, to share my code as a start if someone wanted to develop a color NOD mod.

If you take a look here, the AN/PVS-14 have an attachment which clips onto the goggle and, by spinning two color filters in unison, produces an image that remains grainy, but adds color.

Also, some of the most elite units in the world without a doubt use pass through, full color, thermal overlay goggles.

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/new-full-color-night-vision-could-revolutionize-troops-ability-to-operate-in-dark-1.564782

15 hours ago, Fros7bite said:

If you take a look here, the AN/PVS-14 have an attachment which clips onto the goggle and, by spinning two color filters in unison, produces an image that remains grainy, but adds color.

Also, some of the most elite units in the world without a doubt use pass through, full color, thermal overlay goggles.

Care to provide a link that backs up either claim?  The link you posted has nothing to do with the PVS-14 modification and I'm having a hard time understanding how a tube that can only provide green imagery (or white phosphorous) can all of a sudden display color.  I get it, there are color-capable tubes being worked on, but making an existing tube that isn't color-capable make color seems like a web article writer that doesn't completely understand how the things actually work.

51 minutes ago, gatordev said:

Care to provide a link that backs up either claim?  The link you posted has nothing to do with the PVS-14 modification and I'm having a hard time understanding how a tube that can only provide green imagery (or white phosphorous) can all of a sudden display color.  I get it, there are color-capable tubes being worked on, but making an existing tube that isn't color-capable make color seems like a web article writer that doesn't completely understand how the things actually work.

The article had the name and description of the PVS-14 adapter in it: "ColorTAC’s CVA-14 clips onto the goggle and, by spinning two color filters in unison, produces an image that remains grainy, but adds color."

http://colortacnightvision.com/

20 hours ago, SterlingC said:

The article had the name and description of the PVS-14 adapter in it: "ColorTAC’s CVA-14 clips onto the goggle and, by spinning two color filters in unison, produces an image that remains grainy, but adds color."

http://colortacnightvision.com/

I get that, but the article itself wasn't about the ColorTAC's product.  That's what I was pointing out.

Thanks for the video.  I had seen that before and it's a neat step up in technology.  I (mistakenly) thought he was talking about something you could wear.  It will be very cool when they can get the technology small enough for that.

@gatordev from what I understand there is a version that you can wear and there is also a version with the thermal "overlay" for NVG's as well. They are linked here below.

Here is a link to the device: https://tnvc.com/shop/anpsq-20b-envg/

Also here is the TNV/Sentinel that is apparently part of a new standard from SOCOM and JSOC that they are only purchasing White Phosphor night vision at this time. https://tnvc.com/shop/tnv-sentinel-binocular-night-vision-system-l-3-un-filmed-white-phosphor/

L3 - GPNVG White Phosphor https://www.botach.com/l3-insight-eotech-gpnvg-night-vision-binoculars-white-phosphorus-agency-sales-only/

On 7/11/2019 at 12:52 AM, fat_lurch said:

So a few folks have mentioned adding a "filter" to restrict which NVGs this addon affects. This really wasn't inline with my plans for the mod so I'm looking for input from the interested users.

In my mind, the *best* way to handle this is to use ACE's tube generation parameter to define if the particular NOD features WP tubes (which is a bit beyond the scope of ACE or my mod. The original content developers would define this in their addons). I suspect the ACE team may already have something like this in work, hopefully rendering my addon moot.

In the meanwhile, the best way I can think of to address this within the scope of my addon is either a whitelist or blacklist specific devices defined by the users per the mission or server that calls out specific classnames.

I suspect the larger audience won't agree on which *specific* devices should have WP, so my guess is it's best to make it configurable per user/server and leave the default as an all class whitelist.

Unfortunately, this puts the onus of defining the whitelist/blacklist on the user or admin.

Does anyone have any other/better thoughts on how to manage this?

Thanks

Could there be a function where the user/admin can go into the code in a manner like @Incontinentia did with his Incognito files which have an SQF file in them called "UCR_Setup.sqf". I will link his GitHub for that script function here so you can see how he did it in the INC_undercover link there @fat_lurch.