disasterbator

Mission.sqm just question marks

So I've been working on a mission for months now and recently made the mistake of saving it with a mod installed. I read somewhere that I can just delete the dependency from the mission.sqm file and everything would work fine. After I saved the file changes, the whole .sqm file shows up as a bunch of question marks. Is there anywhere to fix this without remaking the entire mission?

Attached are some screenshots of what's wrong:

https://i.imgur.com/iXQwoWg.png

https://i.imgur.com/zDq0PVj.png

Reactivate the mod, load the mission in 3den, save the mission without binarizing. Close the game, open the mission.sqm with a text editor (as example Notepad... not WordPad) and remove the mod dependency.

If you already saved over your mission file like in your screenshots, then you've destroyed it.

Also you probao don't want to use wordpad. The regular windows notepad is a safer bet and will do what you need right now.

Edit:

Darn it @lexx you ninja'd me.

So what I'm picking up is that the mission is destroyed. It's not even letting me load up the mission in Eden anymore. When I try, I get the error message from the in game screenshot.

You could try to "repair" it, now. If you think it's the last chance, edit the sqm and try to remember what you did. For example, it's not a problem to delete some addons lines (at start), but check for the coherence of the arrays (coma between classes, no character like this at the end). Then check for the sum of entities (usually placed before entities), and the real number of them if you deleted some objects....

Be patient, track weird syntax.

2 hours ago, pierremgi said:

You could try to "repair" it, now. If you think it's the last chance, edit the sqm and try to remember what you did. For example, it's not a problem to delete some addons lines (at start), but check for the coherence of the arrays (coma between classes, no character like this at the end). Then check for the sum of entities (usually placed before entities), and the real number of them if you deleted some objects....

Be patient, track weird syntax.

It seems that he only has a binary mission.sqm. So there is no way to do that.

1 hour ago, sarogahtyp said:

It seems that he only has a binary mission.sqm. So there is no way to do that.

I didn't understand that. I figured he tried to remove some mods in a non-binary mission.sqm...

Is there any mission.sqm.old ?

13 minutes ago, pierremgi said:

I didn't understand that. I figured he tried to remove some mods in a non-binary mission.sqm...

I re-read the OP . Now I think idk if it was binary ore none-binary but all he has now are question marks 😉

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sarogahtyp said:

I re-read the OP . Now I think idk if it was binary ore none-binary but all he has now are question marks 😉

So I tried to remove the dependency for the mod CBA_A3. I deleted the CBA_A3 from the mission.sqm, which was opened in Notepad, not Wordpad, and saved it. When I tried to open it in-game, I got the prompt shown in the screenshot. I went back to check the file, and got the question marks shown in the Wordpad screenshot.

1 hour ago, disasterbator said:

So I tried to remove the dependency for the mod CBA_A3. I deleted the CBA_A3 from the mission.sqm, which was opened in Notepad, not Wordpad, and saved it. When I tried to open it in-game, I got the prompt shown in the screenshot. I went back to check the file, and got the question marks shown in the Wordpad screenshot.

do you have any .pbo file of ur mission somewhere. maybe you exported your mission?

In that case u could just unpack that .pbo file...

• Like 1

Don't edit a binary file with a text editor meant for text 🤦‍♂️

If you don't have another copy of your mission.sqm (in a pbo or somewhere else) then it's gone.

15 minutes ago, Dedmen said:

Don't edit a binary file with a text editor meant for text 🤦‍♂️

If you don't have another copy of your mission.sqm (in a pbo or somewhere else) then it's gone.

That's what I was afraid of. There's no .pbo file for me to unpack. Oh well, lessons learned here. It shouldn't be too difficult for me to remake.

Thank you, everyone, for trying to help! It's all very appreciated.