madrussian

[SP, Co-op] Fight Back! – Battle Survival Rougelike

@kremator - Sounds good & will keep you in the loop!  OK you should have a PM with those missions. 😉

Wow .. this mission is BRUTAL .... I love it.  Runs like a dream on a dedi too.  Shame I'm really crap however 🙂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kremator said:

Wow .. this mission is BRUTAL .... I love it.  Runs like a dream on a dedi too.  Shame I'm really crap however 🙂

Totally agree.  Best dynamic firefights I've had in ages.  I think my whole weekend is going to be burned on this sucker!  This mission is BADASS.

• Like 2

This game mode has been amazing.  We've only won twice and both times were amazing. 

You recommended using some custom factions. I have not found a combination besides the default that seems challenging without being too easy.  Could you share some combinations you find fair and interesting?

Related to that is there a way to tweak the vehicle types used by the enemy?  I tried an urban FIA vs syndicate which was fun until a battle tank rolled over us and our rpgs.  I would replace the apcs and bigger with many more trucks with mounted weapons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, neostrider2003 said:

Could you share some combinations you find fair and interesting?

I'm not sure about the balance, but I really enjoy Iron Front (germans vs. russians, us vs. germans, etc).

6 hours ago, neostrider2003 said:

This game mode has been amazing.  We've only won twice and both times were amazing. 

He has done an outstanding professional job on this game mode.  The interfaces are slick, and replayability is infinite.

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2020 at 2:56 AM, neostrider2003 said:

Hey thanks, and good to hear!  Glad you are having fun. 😄

You recommended using some custom factions. I have not found a combination besides the default that seems challenging without being too easy.  Could you share some combinations you find fair and interesting?

Let's see... I don't know about fair, but if you are looking for a serious challenge maybe try one of these:

• Play as FFI (French Forces of the Interior) vs enemy Wehrmacht.  You will start outgunned big time.  [Load with IFA3]
  • Play as Takistani Locals vs enemy Armed Forces of the Russian Federation (perhaps on a fitting Old But Gold desert map... PR FATA comes to mind).  [Load with CUP]
  • Play as Syndikat (Bandits) vs enemy UNSCEF or Insurrectionists (perhaps on Tanoa), so you are fighting futuristic heavily armed & armored troops. [Load with Apex and OPTRE]
  • Also, playing as IFA3 Red Army can be challenging because all the other major IFA3 factions start out with quick transportation (Jeeps or Kubelwagens).  With Red Amy you'll get slower Studebaker & sluggish ZIS trucks, so it can be difficult to keep pace.  (I could have given the Red Army US made Jeeps, but wanted them to feel different.)  Also the Red Army's weapons seem to be outclassed by the Wehrmacht's, for most out the available maps, as Red Army has lots of PPSH submachine guns... great for CQC but not so much at longer range.
  • To increase difficulty, consider playing on a terrain where the AI can more easily move it's vehicles around.  For instance Tanoa is wonderful, but the AI vehicles get stuck back in the jungle on those dirt trails sometimes.  So maybe pick a more fluid A2 terrain.

Also, don't forget to fine tune the AI's SKILL and PRECISION under Settings -> Game Options -> Difficulty.  This mission piggy-backs on these settings.

For all those playing, curious what Player Faction / Enemy Faction / Terrain combos have you found particularly fun & interesting? 💡

Related to that is there a way to tweak the vehicle types used by the enemy?  I tried an urban FIA vs syndicate which was fun until a battle tank rolled over us and our rpgs.  I would replace the apcs and bigger with many more trucks with mounted weapons.

If you're handy with scripts, in the mission folder open up "init.sqf" and add one or more of these variables at the top:

// Use these to supplement the enemies' normal config-scanned man & vehicle types:
//BUB_Mod_Occ_ExtraTroopTypes = [];
//BUB_Mod_Res_ExtraTroopTypes = [];
//BUB_Mod_Res_ExtraTroopTypes2 = [];
//BUB_Mod_Sup_ExtraTroopTypes = [];
//BUB_Mod_Civ_ExtraManTypes = [];
//BUB_Mod_Occ_ExtraAA_Types = [];
//BUB_Mod_Occ_ExtraTankTypes = [];
//BUB_Mod_Occ_ExtraAPC_Types = [];
//BUB_Mod_Occ_ExtraIFV_Types = [];
//BUB_Mod_Occ_ExtraMRAP_Types = [];
//BUB_Mod_Occ_ExtraArmedCarTypes = [];
//BUB_Mod_Occ_ExtraTransportTypes = []; <- Troop Transports
//BUB_Mod_Occ_ExtraFuelTruckTypes = [];

// Use these to OVERRIDE the enemies' normal config-scanned man & vehicle types (and will also override the Extras above):
//BUB_Mod_Occ_TroopTypes = [];
//BUB_Mod_Res_TroopTypes = [];
//BUB_Mod_Res_TroopTypes2 = [];
//BUB_Mod_Sup_TroopTypes = [];
//BUB_Mod_Civ_ManTypes = [];
//BUB_Mod_Occ_LowThreatTypes = [];
//BUB_Mod_Occ_MedThreatTypes = [];
//BUB_Mod_Occ_HighThreatTypes = [];
//BUB_Mod_Occ_TruckTypes = []; // <- Troop Transports
//BUB_Mod_Occ_FuelTruckTypes = [];

^ Occ stands for Occupation (aka "enemy"), Res stands for Resistance (aka "player"), and Sup stands for Support.  Thus...

BUB_Mod_Occ_LowThreatTypes will override enemy's Armed Cars and MRAPs.

BUB_Mod_Occ_MedThreatTypes will override enemy's APCs and IFVs.

BUB_Mod_Occ_HighThreatTypes will override enemy's Tanks and AAs.

So to address example of wanting more trucks with mounted weapons, you could eliminate APCs, IFVS, Tanks, and AAs completely, by setting all three of these variables to include only trucks with mounted weapons.

^ You won't technically get more enemy vehicles this way, but at least you can make the types fit your desired theme.  Btw - Lol, you are the first person to mention this mission being too easy sometimes.  If you'd like an option to up the pace of enemy vehicle deployment, I'll certainly add this in the next update.  (Just say the word!)

Also there are a whole lot more mod variables to tweak, if you're so inclined.  Please see "Mods\_Reference\_ExampleMod.sqf" for a complete list.  If you need any help figuring out how to make any of these mods work, just ask and we'll get it sorted.

• Like 1

I personally have never had a "too easy" victory.  While tinkering with factions and things there were some matchups that seemed too mismatched for me to consider fair, but those battle tanks quickly showed me the settings screen again.  NATO vs syndicate for example.  There's some factions that seem to have all the toys and some that can't.  Then the AAF vehicle defaulting kicks in and I'm scrambling for anything close to a real rocket launcher.

Thank you for the example matchups. I did not find the right WW2 mod without your help.  I really appreciated the matchup descriptions. Much more interesting.

And thank you for the vehicle mod tips.  It opens up some ways to force lower end engagements.

Last thank you:  Pointing out the terrain significance was an eye opener.  Our two wins were on maps with only 1 or 2 main roads and very few side roads.  Upper West Altis both times. The AIs did boldly move around the edges of the AO or down the middle offroading, but probably not as fast as you would have hoped. We will try more maps and a bit more rural. 

I lied.  Thank you for being so active and responding to feedback.  Great job.

• Like 1