Gunter Severloh

Desert OPS Run - Tactical Arena v1.20

Hi Gunter,
So just curious, when I select to play as BLUFOR, the option to play against Spetsnaz is available.....is the factions script picking up that I own Contact, or are Spetsnaz available to play against for non Contact owners too?  If possible the ability to play as Spetsnaz would be a welcome addition.

Thanks for the continued support, loving the updates.

Spoiler

m6hwTSB.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, EO said:

is the factions script picking up that I own Contact, or are Spetsnaz available to play against for non Contact owners too?

The factions script pretty much acquires all information based on groups available in the game for all factions, and lists them all based on the

side their on and your on.    

So its like if you loaded a mod that has factions, for example i like to use CUP units when i play, so when i choose Blufor

all the enemy factions in CUP that would oppose Blufor will be listed, and i believe this is the same for vanilla factions including DLCs, even factions for

the Global Mobilization DLC should show up provided you have those factions choose able in the game in the editor,

so i think the script again acquires what you have loaded and or whats available.

i think @Rydygier could explain this better as he wrote the script, Rydygier if you have a moment, can you enlighten

us on how the factions script works in terms of how the factions being listed in the menu show up based on the side you choose?

44 minutes ago, EO said:

If possible the ability to play as Spetsnaz would be a welcome addition.

I've thought about the possibility of having a setting or on the menu where you can choose your faction side,

you already can but not specifically as in what your asking about, but to code that i would have no idea how this is where Rydygier comes into the picture.

Overall the mission was setup with Arsenal for this purpose of choice, so in my mind basically if you wanted to play as Spetsnaz

just choose the faction side its on, and then customize your gear, uniform, weapons ect,. to play as what you want, that may be... hard for some

as they probably would prefer something already established then spending 10-15min setting up their gear to play a certain role they wanted.

I like the idea of choosing the side, and in the past what i had in mind on top of what is current is the following:

Mission Start - Menu

At mission start when the menu first shows up you would have the current setup,  once you have chosen your faction side,

then another box like the patrols, and garrisons box would show up underneath the faction side.

From here, there would be a faction list like that of the patrols, and garrisons, so you choose your faction, then another

box below that would the types of units which we could put into a class list array type thing in the script or a separate script.

This list would be the types of soldiers you can play as based on that faction you chose, also in the mp lan parameters

you can turn this on or off so you can just have default or this option, or possible just leave it where you just pick your own

gear and stuff from arsenal.

Idk how difficult this would be but maybe Rydygier could give a perspective on whats possible and or can be done, if hes still interested

and has time, as myself im not a coder so i have an idea but Rydygier writes code like he invented it 😄

So like a tier box

1. Choose Player Faction - Blufor, Opfor, independent.
  2. Choose Player faction side - List of factions to choose from based on first choice.
  3. Choose Player Role based on faction side choice - role lists all types of units in a list for that faction, choosing a role will equip the player with all said gear/weapons based on that role chosen.
  4. Choose Patrol faction - based on first choice like current.
  5. Choose Garrison faction - based on first choice like current.

So i like the idea, you can play either way to choose a faction and just go to arsenal or follow the boxes and go from there

i think it would really expand the mission's options, and replay ability too.

Another idea for the mission in general, and this was from Hortzy who proposed it, and this is something i definitely want to do but when,

is basically create a small terrain for the size of the arena if not a little bigger, then port the mission (objects) to the terrain, and make the object part of the terrain.

Hortzy says you can "bake" the objects to the map so its part of the map and not independent, this would cut the performance demand in half if not more depending

then the mission itself being the scripts, ect,. would be independent but work with the terrain.   It be like building a mission on a map that already has all the objects in place

all you have to do is add the mission details and you can play, so you are literally taking the guts of the mission out of the editor aside markers and triggers

and everything else is spawned and run by triggers and code ect,.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gunter Severloh said:

how the factions script works in terms of how the factions being listed in the menu show up based on the side you choose?

The code runs through every single faction listed in the game's config ("CfgFactionClasses") and picks from them those, that "side" value indicates, the faction is of a side opposing to the player's side. In the said config are listed all vanilla factions along with all factions from loaded mods. Same code gather groups of such opposing faxctions found in the "CfgGroups". The function doing this is rather short in fact:

RYD_DA_CollectOpposingFactions = 
	{
	RYD_DA_HostileFactions = [];

_facClass = configFile >> "CfgFactionClasses";
	_opforSides = switch (RYD_DA_PlayerSide) do
		{
		case (2) : {[0,1]};
		case (0) : {[1,2]};
		default {[0,2]}
		};

for "_i" from 0 to ((count _facClass) - 1) do
		{
		_class = _facClass select _i;

if (isClass _class) then
			{
			_faction = toLower (configName _class);

_side = getNumber (_facClass >> _faction >> "side");
			if (_side in _opforSides) then
				{
				_gps = [_faction,[8,12],RYD_DA_PlayerSide] call RYD_DA_GroupsFind;
				if ((count _gps) < 1) exitWith {};

_displayName = getText (_facClass >> _faction >> "displayName");
				RYD_DA_HostileFactions pushBack [_faction,_displayName,_gps];
				};
			}
		};

publicVariable "RYD_DA_HostileFactions";
	};

Used here RYD_DA_GroupsFind is more complex, but its logic is similar. 

As for the players though, it works differently. There's one, predefined class of player unit per side (player picks only his side). Giving to the player more choices would require serious script reworking and of course redoing the GUI. Highly unlikely anytime soon...

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Rydygier said:

.... Highly unlikely anytime soon...

No worries, using the Arsenal is fine. :icon_biggrin: