Hello guys,

I'm trying to draw on screen an icon that represents the "path" a projectile will follow once fired from a moving chopper (NO BALLISTIC!).

This function appears to be called "G/C Steering", and from what I can understand, is the drift caused by g-force on projectiles fired from a moving object.

To be more clear, you can have a look at this HUD picture (top most write).

I've done some tests, and maybe I am close to the final code, but I have no more ideas, so I would like some hints from the forum:

Spoiler

//Tests conducted on a "RHS_MELB_AH6M" helicopter

addMissionEventHandler ["Draw3D", {
	_aircraft = objectParent player;

_camera = AGLtoASL positionCameraToWorld [0,0.09,1000];
	_rocket = AGLtoASL (_aircraft modelToWorld [0,0,-1.275]);	//Rocket launcher height in modelSpace
	_diff = _camera vectorDiff _rocket;

_gforce = (velocity _aircraft) vectorAdd [0,0,9.81];

_xhair = (_diff vectorAdd _gforce) vectorAdd (getPosATL _aircraft);

drawIcon3D ["", [1,0,0,1], ASLToAGL _xhair, 0, 0, 0, "•", 0, 0.0405, "PuristaBold"];
}];

As always, thank you.

I'm not sure the Arma engine calculates the Coriolis effect (C) for the trajectory (depending on direction, latitude,... and asset movements)... Tell me if I'm wrong and then describe the parameters used in this calculation.

26 minutes ago, pierremgi said:

I'm not sure the Arma engine calculates the Coriolis effect (C) for the trajectory (depending on direction, latitude,... and asset movements)... Tell me if I'm wrong and then describe the parameters used in this calculation.

Hello pierremgi,

from what I remember, even the ACE team dropped the idea of implementing the Coriolis effect, and since that developing team is far more experienced than me (lol) I think that part is negligible.

Regarding what I tried to do, in the first place I calculated the average position between the camera' sight and the position of the rocket launcher, so that perspective should be ok. Then I added the gforce and what lacked to have the icon correctly displayed  was to add the current position of the aircraft.

I also tried to "scale" these vectors, but the icon doesn't move perfectly where it should, so probably I'm missing something little! I'm not very good at physics, sorry ;(

On 6/16/2019 at 10:55 PM, pierremgi said:

I'm not sure the Arma engine calculates the Coriolis effect (C) for the trajectory

doesn't.

On 6/16/2019 at 11:31 PM, Lorenz94 said:

even the ACE team dropped the idea of implementing the Coriolis effect

No we didn't. It's implemented.