Tom_48_97

Changes Related to the Licensed Data Packages

A few years ago, we released the Licensed Data Packages to the Bohemia modding community; a set of data and samples (e.g. weapons and vehicles from Arma 2) from our past games, so they can learn from examples and base new creations upon this content — to expand the Armaverse and others. These packages include configuration files, material files, 3D models, textures, and animations, as well as complete game data in the form of PBOs. We want to offer the same possibility to the young DayZ Modding community, by making most of the Public Data Package available under two new licenses which allow usage in DayZ.

The following changes will happen:

• All Licensed Data Packages previously released under APL will also be made available under DPL. Users may opt for one or the other.
  • All Licensed Data Packages previously released under APL-SA will also be made available under ADPL-SA. Users may opt for one or the other.
  • A new set of Licensed Data Package containing DayZ Mod data (currently under DML-SA) will be made available under ADPL-SA. Users may opt for one or the other.

The above only impacts the Licensed Data Packages released by Bohemia Interactive, it is to be noted that the licenses of all already released content won't change — their licenses remain in effect.

Here, the summary of the new licenses:

DayZ Public License (DPL)

• Attribution — You must attribute the material in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the material).
  • Noncommercial — You may not use this material for any commercial purposes.
  • DayZ Only — You may not convert or adapt this material to be used in games other than DayZ.

Arma and DayZ Public License Share Alike (ADPL-SA)

• Attribution — You must attribute the material in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the material).
  • Noncommercial — You may not use this material for any commercial purposes.
  • Share Alike — If you adapt, or build upon this material, you may distribute the resulting material only under the same license.
  • Arma and DayZ Only — You may not convert or adapt this material to be used in games other than Arma and DayZ.

Here, an example of licensing for a mod using Public Data licensed under APL-SA/ADPL-SA:

• The mod may be released under APL-SA
    • Is Arma only
    • Can't be adapted to be released on DayZ
  • The mod may be released under ADPL-SA
    • Is DayZ and Arma 3
    • Can be adapted for DayZ and/or Arma

We'd like to take a moment to remind everyone that it's in the interest of us all that the Steam Workshop, and any other user-generated content portal, remains an open and fair place. Please respect the work of others. If you'd like to include content that is not your own, seek permission from the original author, and add credits where they are due. It should go without saying that using assets from other games or other digital sources is especially risky unless there are explicit permissions to do so (i.e., in the EULA). If an original author has decided to take down content, do not re-upload it without permission.

Server owners who want to use several mods on their server are invited to create Workshop Collections which are essentially groups of existing Workshop mods, letting the player subscribe to all mods at once, with respect for the author rights, and ensuring the included mods are up to date.

Modding is a fantastic aspect of our games, and it makes the game more fun for everyone. There are many wonderful examples of inter-mod cooperation, community documentation, custom tools, and endless hours of extra gameplay (take the excellent Arma 3 Community Upgrade Project (CUP) as a perfect example of what can be achieved with these packages). We want to let our games be an open and creative platform for as many content creators as possible. Let's respect each other and keep moving forward together! 

Edited by Tom_48_97
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Great to see this finally happening!

Would be good to make it very clear the change of license only applies to BI ALDP - not on Arma mods based on the previous license. Only if mods adjust their license to the new ones, people will be allow to port to DayZ.

PS: What is the situation with (extensive) sample models, or better yet a DLDP for DayZ?

3 hours ago, Tom_48_97 said:

All content previously released under APL-SA will also be made available under ADPL-SA.

I would like to note that "All content" refers to BI licensed data packages. Not "all content".

You cannot just take a APL-SA mod and port it to DayZ SA.

@Tom_48_97, So to clarify, and in layman's terms please, does the ADPL-SA license allow certain content from DayZ SA to ported and used in Arma3?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dedmen said:

I would like to note that "All content" refers to BI licensed data packages. Not "all content".

You cannot just take a APL-SA mod and port it to DayZ SA.

This is correct, I have updated the announcement (in all places), this only affects the Licensed Data Packages and nothing else. As mentioned in the announcement, all already released content doesn't change — their licenses remain in effect as they are.

2 hours ago, EO said:

@Tom_48_97, So to clarify, and in layman's terms please, does the ADPL-SA license allow certain content from DayZ to ported and used in Arma3?

As written above (and updated in the text), this applies only to the Licensed Data Packages, released by us (Bohemia Interactive). Generally speaking, the game data are in no way impacted by this change, they are under their respective EULA.

In other words; no, this doesn't allow anyone to use DayZ data in Arma 3, nor Arma 3 Data in DayZ.

3 hours ago, .kju said:

Great to see this finally happening!

Would be good to make it very clear the change of license only applies to BI ALDP - not on Arma mods based on the previous license. Only if mods adjust their license to the new ones, people will be allow to port to DayZ.

PS: What is the situation with (extensive) sample models, or better yet a DLDP for DayZ?

The DLDP (DayZ Licensed Data Packages) aren't planned for now and actually not even possible because the data get updated on a regular basis.

Again please forgive my ignorance but what "benefits" does the new ADPL-SA license bring if the Licensed Data Packages remain unchanged?

I'm sorry but this announcement seems confusing, if only to me....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EO said:

Again please forgive my ignorance but what "benefits" does the new ADPL-SA license bring if the Licensed Data Packages remain unchanged?

As I read it this is mostly of interest to DayZ modders who can now access the A2 sources for use in DayZ. I certainly don't begrudge them that but until such time as similar sources for DayZ SA are released under this license (which would allow porting to A3) there's not much new here of interest to A3 modders (so far).

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Defunkt said:

As I read it this is mostly of interest to DayZ modders who can now access the A2 sources for use in DayZ. I certainly don't begrudge them that but until such time as similar sources for DayZ SA are released under this license (which would allow porting to A3) there's not much new here of interest to A3 modders (so far).

That's exactly how I read it too - really just giving them vics and weapons to play with... since all the DZSA buildings are better versions than A2 ones (although... the Mid East buildings are in the ALDPs aren't they? So Takistan...???)

Not exactly Arma 3 news then...

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Was hoping that we could take DZSA assets... that would be ARMA 3 news... huge ARMA 3 news

• Like 4

Then again, to do that they would probably have to reciprocate and allow all ARMA 3 assets in DZSA... and that might not be a good thing tbh

2 hours ago, EO said:

True that license-related things can be hard to understand (well, and to explain). In short, The data packages don't change but the way they can be used does. Then, the main thing for the Arma modding community is that DayZ Mod data can now be used in Arma 3 creations.

• Thanks 2

Wait what... we can use DayZ Mod data in ARMA3 (ARMA2 DayZ Mod data)... so this would be okay or not?

baseball_bat.jpg

DayZ Mod is DML-SA... If so, this actually is huge and hugely welcomed news for ARMA3

@EO 

Arma mods can adapt the new license to allow other porting their work to DZ SA, or port their own mods to DZ SA when it was based on the ALDP.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, .kju said:

Arma mods can adapt the new license to allow other porting their work to DZ SA, or port their own mods to DZ SA when it was based on the ALDP.

Thanks for extra info. ^^ However my disappointment came from not being able to port DayZ SA assets to A3, initially I thought that's what these license changes offered.

I now understand. :icon_biggrin: 

I realize that it's the weekend, but just wanted to put the question more specifically regarding this statement: "All DayZ Mod data, previously released under DML-SA, will be made available under ADPL-SA. Users may opt for one or the other." Does this mean that DayZ Mod 1.7.6.1 (hotfix) is now covered under the ADPL-SA license? Am I correct that if so, it would not apply to subsequent versions released by the community team, or would it (version 1.9.0 is available on Steam, covered by the DML-SA license and noted as developed and published by Bohemia Interactive).

Just looking for clarification on this point. As noted, it would be huge if we can use DayZ Mod data in ARMA3 (not Standalone obviously, Mod)

• Like 2

On 6/7/2019 at 11:26 PM, EO said:

Not exactly Arma 3 news then...

Everything released under ADPL will also be able to be used in Arma. And as far as I understood, BI will release DayZ mod licensed data package under ADPL, meaning mods like CUP can now port DayZ Mod content, or you could for example use the DayZ Zombie sounds in your Arma 3 mod.

(aww just saw this was already answered, still won't get my answer go to waste :D)

On 6/8/2019 at 4:25 PM, Grahame said:

Does this mean that DayZ Mod 1.7.6.1 (hotfix) is now covered under the ADPL-SA license?

No.

will be made available under ADPL-SA

Will, some day in the future be made available, isn't yet.

DayZ Mod 1.7.6.1 (hotfix) is now covered under the ADPL-SA license?

See:

On 6/7/2019 at 10:22 PM, Tom_48_97 said:

As written above (and updated in the text), this applies only to the Licensed Data Packages, released by us (Bohemia Interactive). Generally speaking, the game data are in no way impacted by this change, they are under their respective EULA.

@DedmenThe confusing thing is that there is no LDP with a DML-SA license. The only Bohemia product under DML-SA is the DayZ Mod (from 1.7.6.1, hotfix onwards). This is why the subject is still confusing when taken with Tom's:

Then, the main thing for the Arma modding community is that DayZ Mod data can now be used in Arma 3 creations.

Note that he made that statement in clarification in a post after the one in which he said"

As written above (and updated in the text), this applies only to the Licensed Data Packages, released by us (Bohemia Interactive). Generally speaking, the game data are in no way impacted by this change, they are under their respective EULA.

Would be really good to know what content can be used and what can't. For example, I would like to take some DayZ Mod zombie related resources and the FSM for their brains to enhance ARMA3's Epoch Mod, but won't do that unless I know that it is actually permitted, which is why I am seeking clarification. Don't want to get into trouble by misunderstanding what is actually being changed regarding the DML-SA license.

While we're talking about that anyway. Most posts say they "will" be available, is there any ETA?
Also your twitter post

says they are already available, which they aren't.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dedmen said:

While we're talking about that anyway. Most posts say they "will" be available, is there any ETA?

Seems like the DayZ Modding community is just taking the current ALDPs and running with them anyway, given the recent mod announcements on their Workshop.

Talking of which, they also seem to assume that DayZ Mod assets are now ADPL-SA given other recent releases...

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1765453539

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1765470464

That's another reason that I'm still seeking clarification...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Grahame said:

hey also seem to assume that DayZ Mod assets are now ADPL-SA

Well... If I would say that I have seen that coming, I wouldn't be lying.

• Like 1

I am not sure why there is so much confusion. All post's in this regard state the following:

All DayZ Mod data, previously released under DML-SA, will be made available under ADPL-SA. Users may opt for one or the other. (Source: https://www.bohemia.net/blog/licensed-data-package-for-dayz)

This is not about data packages aka "All Licensed Data Packages previously released under [...]". That's meant specifically for the DayZ mod that is licensed under DML-SA that is subject to the license change to extend the "Arma only" clause to "Arma and DayZ only".

This is again reinforced by this statement: 

On 6/8/2019 at 1:22 AM, Tom_48_97 said:

True that license-related things can be hard to understand (well, and to explain). In short, The data packages don't change but the way they can be used does. Then, the main thing for the Arma modding community is that DayZ Mod data can now be used in Arma 3 creations.

Previously DayZ mod exclusive data under DML-SA is then allowed to be used in DayZ SA and Arma under the new ADPL-SA license.

In other words; no, this doesn't allow anyone to use DayZ data in Arma 3, nor Arma 3 Data in DayZ.

What Julien says here is that the license does not allow DayZ SA <-> Arma 3. Neither Arma 3 nor DayZ SA have a license that allows and use of the content like that yet. That does not affect anything else.

The intention for it is to allow the use of the released data packages and the unused DayZ mod assets. Primarily for the DayZ modding community but Arma 3 can make use out of what has not already been ported by CUP as a nice side effect because there is no reason to specifically exclude Arma 3 from the license. That would just make things complicated again. You could previously already remix the DayZ mod but it was never allowed to make use out of that for any other game than Arma 2. That has been changed now. For BI it's free content they release through the work of modders, just like it happened with CUP. There is no reason for BI to restrict the use any longer now that both Arma 2 and DayZ Mod are essentially dead compared to the highest player count record.

Hi @ArkensorYeah, that's what I am seeking clarification on. Rob (Homesick) has said that such clarification will be forthcoming. I hope your interpretation - which is the same as mine - is correct, but I do not want to start releasing ARMA3 mods with DayZ Mod data until I am sure that this is allowed... You might understand my reluctance to do something that may possibly be forbidden, which is exactly why I would like someone from Bohemia to say what you just did 😉

On 6/8/2019 at 1:29 AM, Grahame said:

Wait what... we can use DayZ Mod data in ARMA3 (ARMA2 DayZ Mod data)... so this would be okay or not?

DayZ Mod is DML-SA... If so, this actually is huge and hugely welcomed news for ARMA3

Yes, it would, but using DayZ Mod Licensed Data Packages which are yet to be released.

I realize that it's the weekend, but just wanted to put the question more specifically regarding this statement: "All DayZ Mod data, previously released under DML-SA, will be made available under ADPL-SA. Users may opt for one or the other." Does this mean that DayZ Mod 1.7.6.1 (hotfix) is now covered under the ADPL-SA license? Am I correct that if so, it would not apply to subsequent versions released by the community team, or would it (version 1.9.0 is available on Steam, covered by the DML-SA license and noted as developed and published by Bohemia Interactive).

The content developed by the community is and will remain under DML-SA. We will prepare the DayZ Mod Licensed Data Packages based on the data developed by us.

On 6/11/2019 at 12:53 PM, Dedmen said:

says they are already available, which they aren't.

You're correct, they should be released during the first or second week of July.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1