The Real Bunc

Using expression code in SpawnVehicle Module.

This was a result of trying something out for another thread and its got me stumped.

I have a helicopter on ground with crew.  I have the helicopter linked to a Spawn vehicle module. In the "expression" box of the SpawnModule I can put code in to fill the helicopter with crew and give the helicopter a waypoint and it all works fine. But the expression box is small and I wanted to deliver a larger bit of code to the expression. 

So I put the identical code that I had used in the spawn box into an sqf.

I need to then pass this code as code to the expression field. The expression box says it takes a variable or code as input.

So I try

codeforexpression = loadfile "mycode.sqf";  // no deal. it puts "" around my code so when I put codeforexpression into the expression field it doesn't work. ( no debug hint to indicate code was run)

codeforexpression = compile loadfile etc  // again nothing doing. No indication it was run as code and this time a check via debug shows my code with {} wrapped around it.

but the expression code  works fine when it  is simply entered into the expression box.

I just need to deliver a block of code to that expression field in the spawnVehicle module but without it being wrapped as a string with "" or as a code block with {}.

Am I missing something obvious?

show code an show a screenshot of that box pls

EDIT:

what about

nul = [yourParamterList] execVM "mycode.sqf";

?

also if the code is executed multiple times then you should use the Function Library to get it precompiled at mission start.

With this u are able to call or spawn (depends on your code) it:

[yourParamterList] call yourTag_fnc_yourFunctionName;

or

nul = [yourParamterList] spawn yourTag_fnc_yourFunctionName;

this way you get shorter execution times because code does not need to get compiled each time you run it. (this is the case with execVM)

//initServer.sqf

//This SEH( Scripted Event Handler ) is exactly the same
//as what the expression field in the respawnVehicle module does
[ missionNamespace, "respawn", {
	params[ "_spawnedVeh", "_oldVeh" ]; //parameters passed to the code

//This will be called by ALL vehicleRespawn modules
	//If you have more than one make sure its the one you are monitoring

//Name given to helo in editor "MyHelo"
	if ( vehicleVarName _spawnedVeh isEqualTo "MyHelo" ) then {

//Your expression code
		createVehicleCrew _spawnedVeh;
		_grp = group driver _spawnedVeh;
		_wp = _grp addWaypoint[ getMarkerPos "MyHeloWaypoint", 0 ];
		_wp setWaypointStatements[ "
			true
		", "
			vehicle this setDamage 1;
		" ];

};

}] call BIS_fnc_addScriptedEventHandler;

TEST MISSION

Helo will spawn and fly to waypoint (via waypoint given for initial crew in editor). Blow up. Repeat (using crew and waypoint spawned by SEH).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

That's bang on target Larrow and works great and bypasses the problem of getting code to register through the input box.

It's interesting seeing you use a scripted event handler given the active discussion of those on another thread as well. Could you say a little about how this scripted event handler is linking to the spawnvehicle event? Is that the reference to Missionnamespace "Respawn" ? 

Larrow, got to say thank you. Ive just finally clocked what scripted event handlers do. I realise that respawn in missionnamespace is one of the listed events for scripted event handlers.  Am I right in thinking that if I set my own variable then in a namespace I can set the Boolean value of that variable and so trigger any scripted event handler ive set to use that event? 

I think that was wrong. Reading the Biki again I think I use callscriptedeventhandler to trigger my own scripted event handlers. Agh ha!