madrussian

Mission Presentation issue (hopefully trivial)

Putting the finishing touches on my dynamic mission (release hopefully today or within mere days now!)

OK, so I read through Mission Presentation page, and learned I needed to created proper overview and loading screens (1024 x 512 res), which I did (and they look nice and professional, if I do say so).  Then I read through "description.ext" page and I set all the appropriate variables in my "description.ext" (as far as I can tell).  Note that I'd like to make all my Overview and Loading screen changes inside "description.ext" and change nothing in the Eden Editor (via "Attributes" -> "General") if possible, because I have perhaps 30 terrains I've ported my mission to, and keeping these updates to Overview and Loading inside "description.ext" (only) will keep the porting process to a simple copy/paste!

Now in editor I reload the mission, and perform "Export to Single Player" and "Export to Multiplayer".  At this point, I exit editor and try opening mission from Main Menu, to inspect my changes.

In MP Browser, I see my new Overview screen with the title and description (and author), and everything looks correct!  Good so far, so I select mission and fire it up, and see my new Loading screen with the title and description, and again everything looks correct!  So good to go for MP.

Now I go back to Main Menu and check out SP (via Single Player -> Scenarios).  I see my exported mission, but the name is not my chosen mission name, and is (unfortunately) simply the file name of the mission file.  I select it and there's no overview picture (static only), and the author says "Unknown Community Author".

In my "description.ext", I have set all these related variables: author, briefingName, overviewPicture, overviewText, overviewTextLocked, onLoadName, loadScreen, and onLoadMission.  Again it's working for MP... so kinda stumped atm.

So the question is:  How do I get the Overview screen to work correctly in Single Player -> Scenarios?

I welcome any and all help, even simple things I may have missed, thanks. :smile_o:

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, madrussian said:

I select it and there's no overview picture (static only), and the author says "Unknown Community Author".

I've see this too. It used to work without this issue but haven't figured it out yet. My guess is one of BI's updates broke it.

• Like 1

Heres a work around i found...

simply go to your documents,arma3,profiles and find your mission...Then simply copy the mission PBO or entire mission folder over to your Arma3 directory/mission's folder...(Where you have Arma3 Installed-so steam/steam apps/common etc)

I think export is broken recently.This shouldwork.Just remember to repeat the process every time you update the mission in Eden.

• Thanks 1

@major-stiffy Thanks, that is helpful to know.

35 minutes ago, redarmy said:

simply go to your documents,arma3,profiles and find your mission...Then simply copy the mission PBO or entire mission folder over to your Arma3 directory/mission's folder...

OK, I'm trying to do this. 

My "profile MPmissions dir" (holding this mission) looks like this:

"C:\Users\Rune\Documents\Arma 3\MPmissions"

My mission dir itself looks like this:

C:\Users\Rune\Documents\Arma 3\MPmissions\Secession_400_MP.Chernarus_Summer

My "Arma3 directory Missions dir" looks like this:

D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\Missions

My "Arma3 directory MPMission dir" looks like this:

D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\MPMissions"

^ OK, with all that straight:

Obviously, nowhere inside my "profile MPmissions dir" are there any PBOs, so there is no PBO to copy and paste to my "Arma3 directory Missions dir", so that won't work (unless of course I misunderstand something).  Furthermore, in the editor when I perform "Export to Single Player", that's what creates a PBO which of course ends up in my "Arma3 directory Missions dir".  You also mention copying and pasting the entire mission folder into the "Arma3 directory Missions dir", but not sure what that would accomplish... Because that folder needs PBOs, right?

Anyhow curious exactly how you managed this, thanks!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, madrussian said:

@major-stiffy Thanks, that is helpful to know.

OK, I'm trying to do this. 

My "profile MPmissions dir" (holding this mission) looks like this:

My mission dir itself looks like this:

My "Arma3 directory Missions dir" looks like this:

My "Arma3 directory MPMission dir" looks like this:

^ OK, with all that straight:

Obviously, nowhere inside my "profile MPmissions dir" are there any PBOs, so there is no PBO to copy and paste to my Arma3 mission dir, so that won't work (unless of course I misunderstand something).  Furthermore, in the editor when I perform "Export to Single Player", that's what creates a PBO which of course ends up in my "Arma3 directory Missions dir".  You also mention copying and pasting the entire mission folder into the "Arma3 directory Missions dir", but not sure what that would accomplish... Because that folder needs PBOs, right?

Anyhow curious exactly how you managed this, thanks!

OK to keep it simple,simply take your mission folder that you have saved in eden editor...by default,located in your Documents/missions...or Documents/Arma3/(your profile name)/missions/mission name folder(which contains your Description.ext,init.sqf and your mission.sqm as well as any other script/music/sounds etc folders...

copy the entire folder

then navigate to where arma is installed...steam/steamapps/common/arma3/missions   and in that missions folder,paste the mission folder you just copied.

Now go into game,look at SP scenarios.and your intro pic and description should show.The PBO doesnt need to be in the mission folder from my understanding and in practice,mine only contains a mission.sqm within the mission folder and it works fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK that did work (albeit in a hacky kinda way... considering we still see the busted duplicate), but I do see Overview info in SP Scenarios Menu now.  Thanks for that.

Now I wonder... When I upload to Steam, will anyone see the Overview info (or will the pic, text, author all be missing)?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, madrussian said:

OK that did work (albeit in a hacky kinda way... considering we still see the busted duplicate), but I do see Overview info in SP Scenarios Menu now.  Thanks for that.

Now I wonder... When I upload to Steam, will anyone see the Overview info (or will the pic, text, author all be missing)?

give it a shot...upload it and make it private so only u can see it,then download it.In your scenario menu it should appear under subscribed scenarios,below your own actual version you moved into mission folder.

From there if you see the title/pic and description your good to go.

oh and to remove the "busted duplicate",just return to your missions folder,copy the mission,delete original and reload the mission in new scenario but DO NOT export it.Save is still ok obviously.This way u can continually edit the mission,then copy and paste it from documents folder,to Arma directory.Its my way of doing it

• Thanks 2

Awesome, first time uploading to Steam so good to know we can make it private & check it out, etc, before unleashing to the world.

• Like 1

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but come 2020 this is still broken (the export to SP mission part). Or is there a fix somewhere, other than the workaround part?

Thank you

Confirmed that it doesn't work.