avibird 1

Help with understanding unit squad icons and team switch icons. What does the soldier head silhouette represent.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but you guys tend to be the smartest people around in the arma universe lol.

Understanding unit icons from the  team switch and the  ingame unit menu bar?

Grenadier machine gun sniper medic engineer demolition icons from the in-game menu bar it's pretty self-explanatory however at times a unit will have a silhouette of a soldier head ? 

This icon appears sometimes in both menus I'm trying to figure out why. If I give that unit any of the above weapons or unit traits it will be replaced. 

What is the icon what does it represent.

Also why did bohemian not include a marksman or an assault rifle icon. 

This has always bothered me lol.

It's a game design thing; visual cue to help identify who is what and what they're doing at a quick glance of the UI. Also has visual indicators to show if they're in a vehicle, what vehicle, what kind of seat (cargo, driver gunner), as well as which behavior and engagement orders they have (color coded).

Lol I'm well aware of that. that's what I asked is a meaning of a specific icon 😂 what is the silhouette soldier head represent. What does it mean lol. I've been playing this game for a very long time but I have no clue what that silhouette of a soldier head means or trying to tell me about the unit.

It means he's on foot. If he's in a vehicle, it'll show a vehicle of that type.

No it does not mean on foot. I have a custom squad that I use for recon unit. It's a 12 man squad all on foot and two of the units have this little silhouette. The leader is one and unit number nine is the second. So it does not mean there on foot. This doesn't happen all the time but it happens sometimes when I set up new units l

My bad  it's only on the team switch menu not the squad bar menu in the game when you are in the leader slot. 

9 hours ago, avibird 1 said:

My bad  it's only on the team switch menu not the squad bar menu in the game when you are in the leader slot. 

LOLLL...... Now I know what you were talking about....mmmmm..I've always wondered the same thing...:headscratch:

The dilemma solved lol.  So if change the primary weapon in the editor some times the primary weapon does not show that the unit is carrying a primary weapon that's the silhouette of the soldier head represents an unarmed unit. You just need to go back into the editor re click on the weapon again and it should take care of the issue 😁 this was driving me nuts.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, avibird 1 said:

The lemmer solved lol.  So if change the primary weapon in the editor some times the primary weapon does not show that the unit is carrying a primary weapon that's the silhouette of the soldier head represents an unarmed unit. You just need to go back into the editor re click on the weapon again and it should take care of the issue 😁 this was driving me nuts.

Thanks mate...never too late to learn something, I guess! Well done!

Hey @zagor64bz sometimes it will not reset at all even if you give them different primary weapons back in the editor.  You need to reset layout and start over customizing your unit layout if you want to get rid of the icon. Still learning myself since 2005 lol

• Haha 2

It appears some of the new weapons from a download content have a bug. For example spar16s and the CMR 76 do not register as weapons when assigned in the editor to a unit. A minor visual inconvenience lol but it drives me freaking nuts looking at that silhouette of a head lol. I wonder if this was ever reported? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, avibird 1 said:

Hey @zagor64bz sometimes it will not reset at all even if you give them different primary weapons back in the editor. 

LOLLLL---I'm not that "OCD" about it...just wondered what the heck was that for..hahahahaha.... I hope you solve this mate since it seams bothering you A LOT!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA..just messing with you man😋

• Haha 2

This really drives me nuts. It seems that it's the majority of the Apex DLC weapons that don't register as weapons on opposite factions. For example I use NATO units with custom layouts of various weapons and sites. Most of the car spar type AK and protector (smg) will not show up as carrying a weapon 90% of the time however the variance with grenade launcher will. 

I can't believe that this was never reported or fix lol. Yes I am OCD and it drives me nuts when in the team switch menu or selecting a new unit after death seeing that stupid soldier head silhouette 🤪

Well trying to figure out what could be causing this bug I think I figured out the error in the code not the actual line lol

The Apex weapons that were added for some reason will only register as a weapon if the unit has has a launcher of any type if not they will have a silhouette next to them in the team switch menu the only exception is the variance with grenade launchers like the  spar car and ak12GL. 

This is definitely a coding error that Bohemian never picked up on.