Korneel

Contact Starters

51 minutes ago, Tonci87 said:

Well that depends on the level of technological advancement they have, doesn´t it?

If they are far more advanced than we are, then it is easier for them to discover us, than it is for us to discover them. If they are more advanced, they would have better equipment to scan for life, maybe they would even be capable of interstellar travel, something we won´t be able to do for a very very very long time.

Our technology could be too primitive to be detected from afar, leaving only discreet marks in space - our biggest habitat outside earth is the ISS...

That would make it very difficult for aliens to spot us, whereas an advanced civilization would leave a bigger trail - look at Tabby's Star and all the noise it made about Dyson spheres.

It's very much plausible that we would be the first to spot them.

EDIT : another thing to consider is relativity. The further aliens would be from earth, the less likely it is that we would be visible to them. Light takes time to travel, and on a bigger scale, mankind is very young - until very recently earth was essentially "dark".

• Like 1

As eluded to previously depends on where there at but also if they do know we exist as an intelligent civilisation likely it would be through leakage of our technology i.e. radio signals in to space. That limits them to being within 100 light years (close by) as radio broadcasts I think were first introduced in the early 20th century, for them to answer back then they would have to be within 50 light years (50 for it to get there, 50 to direct a message at us). What all of this does assume is that they have a huge sensitive receiver that would pick up barely noticeable radio signals which leaked out. If I were to hazard a guess I doubt any intelligent civilisation out there knows we exist at the moment, they may well know there is life of earth but not technologically advanced life, I am kind of leaning toward we would pick something up from them due to the likelihood that their advanced technologies would 'stick out' more maybe like FRBs we are seeing. Very interesting subject regardless, with many hypothesis' worth looking into. 

• Like 1