Korneel

Contact Starters

There are about 2 trillion galaxies in the observable universe , words are too simple to describe the scale of that number and I don't believe in Fermi paradox. Like Tonci wrote the distance is beyond comprehension and we only created "local waves"  to let ourselves known.

We're the equivalent of letting the neighbours in the same building or maybe a few streets at best to know that we just moved in.

• Like 2

Are you sure that you will be able to perceive them as aliens, and not like any angels or any other gods?

The concept of an alien appeared only 150 years ago, and before that, even in thoughts, people couldn’t think about a different form of life except earthly or divine. 

• Like 3

On 7/16/2019 at 12:50 AM, krycek said:

There are about 2 trillion galaxies in the observable universe , words are too simple to describe the scale of that number and I don't believe in Fermi paradox. Like Tonci wrote the distance is beyond comprehension and we only created "local waves"  to let ourselves known.

We're the equivalent of letting the neighbours in the same building or maybe a few streets at best to know that we just moved in.

Beyond the sheer vastness of space, there is another factor : how long does it take to acquire the technology to travel or communicate through such distances (if it's even possible)?

For all we know, the universe could be full of alien civilisations, and maybe none of those survived long enough to take on the stars.

Agreed with all said, and could well be missing the signs as the technology my definition is alien, some make an argument for FRBs being it but I doubt it personally. To know we are here as humans they'd have to be close as they'd notice light pollution and leakage via radiowaves, but even then you're talking 100-150 LYs and they'd have to be half that distance to be able to send a message we would receive now. I think it could well be because aside from distance the fact that possibly we are not that special in our galaxy that there are many form of life and intelligent life, why go out the way to contact humans? Its why I think projects like SETI are likely to pick up a signal from another civilisations leakage from their tech wherever it may be rather than a direct one sent to us, in fact quite similar to the signals they have got previously which are interesting but have not repeated.

Another aspect is that we are endowed with feelings that allow us to feel only what our planet gives us.  That is we do not need to feel what is happening in outer space. 

This is mostly stuck-on-stupid territory. It's about what it has always been about and you have it right there in the trailer.

Spoiler

NumNoDz.png

even in the short time its taken humans to get from banging rocks together to beaming radio/etc into space we've actually been pretty lucky not to have been wiped out, even on a planet where the odds are stacked pretty well to support life. The problem of civilisations finding each other is also one of timing!

Life and civilisation rises and falls in the blink of an eye cosmically speaking. the problem of finding other life is that not only do they have to be close enough to spot they also have to be there at the right time for us to spot them!

our neighbours maybe died out millions of years ago, or won't happen for millions of years, by which time we may not be there to see them.

And it's already time for our final Contact Starter (ahead of Arma 3 Contact's release):

What is your favorite movie, TV series, and/or book involving alien life?

EAFRaa6W4AAh0M-?format=jpg&name=medium

Let us know your recommendations - here, and/or on Facebook, Twitter, and reddit!

There are more than single examples, that need to be mentioned apart from absolute classics like Aliens, Predator or Star Trek.

TV series: Battlestar Galactica (newer one), The Expanse, X Files.

Movies: Arrival, Anomaly (despite some flaws).

Books: Lem's mostly, I think this one is my personal perfection on this topic:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/251633.The_Invincible

and of course mentioned Fiasco. 

More grounded in science  - Movies: The Europa Report, Contact, Arrival, TV: Cosmos (carl sagan) Books: confessions of an alien hunter by Seth Shostak, seti and extraterrestrial civilizations by Isaac Asimov.

Pure scifi based - Movies: Alien 1,2 and 3 and covenant , starshiptroopers, Predator 1,2, and 3, district 9, Close encounters, men in black. TV: X-Files, Stargate SG-1, Unidentified. 

"the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy"  ....very satirical sci fi with some very funny aliens

The petty Bureaucratic Vogons who destroy Earth to make way for a "new hyperspace bypass"

There are the Vluhr's who (for complicated reasons) launch an Earth invasion fleet but fail to take scale into account and are all swallowed by a small dog...

Or the Haggunenon shape shifter that eats one of the main characters and then mistakenly shape shifts into an nifty escape capsule.

and dolphins and mice... they are apparently aliens too.

I'm guessing most people who like sci fi have come across this at some point but if not CHECK IT OUT!! the original BBC radio series is actually my favorite version (the story changes a lot every time he re-wrote it)

Edited by lordfrith
oops

Dark City (very good), Dreamcatcher, Edge of Tomorrow, The Expanse, Alien/s 1-4, Prometheus, District 9, Battlestar Galactica series(2004),

10 Cloverfield Lane (mostly the final part), The Chronicles of Riddick&Pitch Black, Species (1995), The Thing

3 minutes ago, krycek said:

Dark City (very good)

Forgot about that one. Top-notch and stylish - noir. Pitch Black also quite good indeed.