Sign in to follow this  
redarmy

Arma3 Ragdolls...your thoughts?

I felt like asking others for their opinion on this...

I recently spent some time in Insurgency Sandstorm(fantastic shooter) and one thing which stood out,particularly with a recent patch was how utterly viceral,and jaw droppingly gruesome the AI ragdolls were.

And upon returning to Arma3 to continue working on some scenarios,i wanted to include something just as visceral as INS sandstorm delivered with its gritty CQB.And the one thing i thought of that could deliver that were AI ragdolls....

So i went looking for Ragdoll mods and to my suprise,i only found a handfull,most are outdated and dont function anymore,some add "extra" effects such as unconciousness or "time on ground" which i dont want.

Then i took the time after testing some of these to actually look at vanilla ragdolls...AI hit/killed while standing,crouching,running,headshoted etc etc.

I found that the ragdolls are actually pretty awesome in Arma vanilla.And i wonder what others think about them,are they satisfactory?Do you use a mod for ragdolls,if so plz share.And if you could improve them,how would you?I personally would like to see AI who get shot in the legs at least ragdoll to the ground,and a fix for prone ragdolls would be good too.

After sandstorm,i feel ragdoll AI is one of the most important aspects to any shooter. I have found one mod which adds the gruesomeness i need btw...http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=33704  couldnt play Arma without it now.Thanks Goko

• Like 3

I actually prefer the death animations as they were in arma 2, in vanilla arma 3 I regularly end up with horrifyingly bent shapes that might very well find their place in some lovecraftian short story:

gMAbtNj.png

Mind the knees...

What arma lacks is a dedicated ragdoll script command (has been requested ad nauseam) or related eventhandler, would make some things possible and would explain the lack of ragdoll mods.

Cheers

• Like 6

On 6/1/2019 at 4:53 PM, Grumpy Old Man said:

I actually prefer the death animations as they were in arma 2, in vanilla arma 3 I regularly end up with horrifyingly bent shapes that might very well find their place in some lovecraftian short story:

Mind the knees...

What arma lacks is a dedicated ragdoll script command (has been requested ad nauseam) or related eventhandler, would make some things possible and would explain the lack of ragdoll mods.

Cheers

Looks like he picked a fight with an Orca tail rotar and lost.

Yeah the leg bending isnt something that bothers me personally ,as i tend to run a pretty vicious clean up script on large battles,so i dont get to appreciate the pretzel poses that often.Though funnily enough your not the 1st erson to mention that Arma2 ragdolls were better.I had seen a mod that ported A2's running anim into A3,would the death anim also be possible then?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, redarmy said:

Yeah the leg bending isnt something that bothers me personally ,as i tend to run a pretty vicious clean up script on large battles,so i dont get to appreciate the pretzel poses that often.Though funnily enough your not the 1st erson to mention that Arma2 ragdolls were better.I had seen a mod that ported A2's running anim into A3,would the death anim also be possible then?

Arma2 never had ragdolls, just animations that would be played when killed/hit by a vehicle etc., just google arma 2 death animation, I'm sure there's plenty of videos around.

There was SLX ragdolls but those weren't ragdolls either, rather than a smart workaround.

Porting the death animations would be possible, maybe there's already a mod for it.

Cheers

I think everything physics related in arma needs to be much heavier. Cars go flying, tanks go flying, crashed planes bounce up and once again go flying, ragdolling people go flying. A prone enemy shot in the head go flying, a csat insect shot in the chest where he has no plates simply just flinch into the sky then proceed to fire back until I shoot him 10 more times and he does a backflip then land with his legs over his head, sometimes just to bounce up again and go flying.

I'm not using any mods but there needs to be more weight and stiffer joints to pretty much everything.

• Like 3

Yeah, the other day I "accidentally" hit someone full speed and suddenly me and my jeep went into full orbit like that iconic scene from E.T., lol. Apparently everything in the Armaverse is covered in a thick layer of flubber, lol

On 7/4/2019 at 1:20 AM, yokhanan said:

Yeah, the other day I "accidentally" hit someone full speed and suddenly me and my jeep went into full orbit like that iconic scene from E.T., lol. Apparently everything in the Armaverse is covered in a thick layer of flubber, lol

I think thats probably a side effect of a mod to be honest.

Though yeah,armor hitting armor can certainly cause them to flip upside down.....just like real li....video gam....ok a military themed demolition derby.